• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigBad
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

Must Listen - Randy Mueller - 10 year scout for Chargers

Randy Mueller - 10 year scout for Chargers(2008–2018)

Listen to the first 15 minutes.

Gives details on the Spanos organization for about 15 minutes.

Episode · The Athletic Football Show: A show about the NFL · The LA Chargers made the move to fire HC Brandon Staley - Mike and Randy discuss the somewhat not so surprise firing of Staley. From there - we focus on the Raiders team- record 63 points on TNF. After that - we observe some of the QB's around the league talent and skill level. Lastly, the conversation ends with the GM notebook and Week 16 predictions.  Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post
    Randy Mueller - 10 year scout for Chargers(2008–2018)

Listen to the first 15 minutes.

Gives details on the Spanos organization for about 15 minutes.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5s3...c424696d44412b
    Wow. Mueller said:

"Players were tuned out and not ready to play" (vs. Raiders)
    "Brandon Staley was not in the hot seat in the (Bolt) building like he was OUTSIDE the building"
    "It was a really hard 10 years (working for the Bolts)"
    "Nobody was held accountable" (by Bolt management)
    "I had NO voice, and I was the national scout"
    "I never had a single conversation with anyone above me about football or anything else"

"There's no chance Belichick is hired--they'd have to give up power and money"
    "There has always been an acceptance of mediocrity"
    "The most demanding leadership was from Marty and Ross"
    "I never see their best players playing great"

Ouch...

Comment

• northerner
      Charger fan since '79
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wow. Mueller said:

"Brandon Staley was not in the hot seat in the (Bolt) building like he was OUTSIDE the building"
      "I never had a single conversation with anyone above me about football or anything else"

Ouch...
      if they hire scrubs / "yes men" for HC and GM, all hope is lost.

Comment

• Berserker76
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2019
        • Send PM

Thought we were maybe on the right track after all these years until I heard this. Sigh.

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

So Mueller said what is common knowledge at this point. It's a family business. They run it their way. They would have to give up power and money to a Belicheck type. And they've never done that.

Does Dean want to win or be the boss. Just sit back. Pay some football people to win games. Collect the money and celebrate.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wow. Mueller said:

Ouch...
            Haven’t listened to it but it was reported that Staley was almost fired twice earlier this year so he was definitely on the hot seat.

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post
              Thought we were maybe on the right track after all these years until I heard this. Sigh.
              This is what I've mentioned over and over. Firing a HC fixes nothing. It's much higher up.
              Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                So Mueller said what is common knowledge at this point. It's a family business. They run it their way. They would have to give up power and money to a Belicheck type. And they've never done that.

Does Dean want to win or be the boss. Just sit back. Pay some football people to win games. Collect the money and celebrate.
                Yep...Deano is kind of like the rich dude who buys several McDonald's franchises, then messes with a proven formula, not to mention hiring inexperienced teenaged kids to be part of your management team...prescription for failure...

Comment

• Whydachargers?
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2023
                  • Send PM

It's really good to hear the inside perspective from Mueller. This is what I'm left with as a "fan" of these Chargers...

1. They don't give a damn, why should I?

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    BetterToday ThanYesterday
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Why would Mueller stay for 10 YEARS if things were so terrible? He was a respected talent evaluator the Chargers gave a job to when he got canned by the Dolphins. Something is wrong with him, too. Think about it. He is the National Scout and draws a good salary and no one talks to him? If by that he means ownership, that is actually a good sign. We don’t want the Spanosesesess talking to scouts

And how does he know how Bobby Ross was internally? He was not there then. Remember Meuller is the GM who hired Cam Cameron to be the HC for the Dolphins. He went from a GM to head of national scouting to now I think the XFL or Canadian league. No one wants him in the NFL any more. Chargers fired him 5-6 years ago.

Sorry, some of this sounds like sour grapes to me. He sounds like one of us!
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Whydachargers?
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2023
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                      Why would Mueller stay for 10 YEARS if things were so terrible? He was a respected talent evaluator the Chargers gave a job to when he got canned by the Dolphins. Something is wrong with him, too. Think about it. He is the National Scout and draws a good salary and no one talks to him? If by that he means ownership, that is actually a good sign. We don’t want the Spanosesesess talking to scouts

And how does he know how Bobby Ross was internally? He was not there then. Remember Meuller is the GM who hired Cam Cameron to be the HC for the Dolphins. He went from a GM to head of national scouting to now I think the XFL or Canadian league. No one wants him in the NFL any more. Chargers fired him 5-6 years ago.

Sorry, some of this sounds like sour grapes to me. He sounds like one of us!
                      But I want my GM and scouts talking to each other. As for the rest of this shit organization, I'll get back to you after you show me you're serious about winning.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Can't listen to it,.... figures what I read above. No accountability. Dean and JohnBoy are a couple of wusses.

Comment

Working...
                        X