POLL: Which Traits do you Value Most in a Head Coach?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

Ways we now know are ineffective in building character:

A. Mimic slang of players when addressing them to appear cool, down home, real, ..... throw away adjective
    B. Attend coaching clinics on character building
    C. Soak it in by hanging around Steve Kerr for a week
    D. Grow a beard (unless you're Fouts)
    E. Synthetically try to create a family atmosphere in the locker room to show how you care
    F. Distribute 'game balls' in locker room after victories
    G. Be known for taking crazy reckless gambles that are without precedent
    H. Pretend to take full responsibility while never admitting to making a mistake in judgement or planning
    I. Fail to have direct conversations with starters on why you are benching them
    J. Let problems fester in the locker room, then try to stamp them out ineffectually a year later by benching starters or waiving vets
    K. Hire your barely competent mentor to a key position on the staff
    L. Run after tumbling helmets of pouting stars and then immediately hand it back to them.
    M. On all fours, get on your exercise mat and headphones before games and start doing thrusts with your pelvis so that Chief's planet can post it the next day.
    N. Always lose close games against good teams
    Wow, Norv, u really nailed it, especially the highlighted ones. That one scene in "L", Staley picking up Bosa's helmet, shows what a wimp he really is. It's like the classic enabler/co-dependent wife who keeps covering up for her husband's drug or alcohol issues...that's Staley...

Comment

• bolthead123
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • San Diego
      • I work in IT.
      • Send PM

My preference is an older, proven coach who can motivate and push the players to focus on details, fundamentals and their own mental game. Particularly a coach who's been through ups and downs as a player and coach, but found success through perseverance and attitude adjustment. They have to be able to recognize that in the players they are coaching, but also an ability to recognize (quickly) when a player is a lost cause.

A player that can't succeed under a respected, proven coach is going to have a lower stock rating going into free agency. Other coaches and back offices will make negative assumptions about those players. The players will tend to be more motivated for that reason.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by bolthead123 View Post
        My preference is an older, proven coach who can motivate and push the players to focus on details, fundamentals and their own mental game. Particularly a coach who's been through ups and downs as a player and coach, but found success through perseverance and attitude adjustment. They have to be able to recognize that in the players they are coaching, but also an ability to recognize (quickly) when a player is a lost cause.

A player that can't succeed under a respected, proven coach is going to have a lower stock rating going into free agency. Other coaches and back offices will make negative assumptions about those players. The players will tend to be more motivated for that reason.
        This is my thought too. One of the reasons I am not as high on Ben Johnson (Slowik, McDonald, et. al) has nothing to do with the X's and O's. Its how do they handle the locker room, the players, motivation, communication. Staley had a really fast rise to the HC position. But the question is, aside from his cancer and not trying to demean that, but in his football coaching career, where was the kick to the gonads that gave a coach a different perspective moving forward. Some adversity to fall back on.

the job is about Mon- Sat as much as it is the actual game
        Harbaugh -is kind of an outlier as pretty successful as a coach

But I am not afraid of guys like Morris, Quinn, Flores and think their first HC jobs are who they are for life.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2023
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wow, Norv, u really nailed it, especially the highlighted ones. That one scene in "L", Staley picking up Bosa's helmet, shows what a wimp he really is. It's like the classic enabler/co-dependent wife who keeps covering up for her husband's drug or alcohol issues...that's Staley...
          Here's a video of John Madden talking about how he would distribute summer jobs to players at S.D.S.U., the best jobs going to the stars.
          One time, Coryell intervened and told him to give the best job to a former player who was married, unemployed and had a kid on the way.

No drummed up nonsense about building a family culture on Coryell's part, like with the modern coaching crowd.
          Coryell was the epitome of being unhip and square .... he was authentic, tough and personal, which forever will sell with players.
          He got fired in St Louis for not bending to ownership /management. Refused to talk to Spanos his last year here, and for good reason.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2023
            • Send PM

Two pictures that tell you in good part, why Harbaugh succeeds.

Noteworthy comments from Jim Harbaugh's pre-Big Ten Championship press  conference - Maize n Brew
            Jim Harbaugh under fire after latest addition to coaching staff - FanBuzz
            ​

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2023
              • Send PM

BTW, Dutch has it too in spades. SDSU loses few to the transfer portal because they are honest and upfront with players that they recruit.
              He could easily leave for a better paying, higher profile gig, near the end of his coaching career. Its not in his DNA.

dataurl942797.jpg

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Tannehill, you turd.
                Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Here's a video of John Madden talking about how he would distribute summer jobs to players at S.D.S.U., the best jobs going to the stars.
                  One time, Coryell intervened and told him to give the best job to a former player who was married, unemployed and had a kid on the way.

No drummed up nonsense about building a family culture on Coryell's part, like with the modern coaching crowd.
                  Coryell was the epitome of being unhip and square .... he was authentic, tough and personal, which forever will sell with players.
                  He got fired in St Louis for not bending to ownership /management. Refused to talk to Spanos his last year here, and for good reason.

Wow, great eulogy by Madden for Coryll. I didn't realize that Coryll invented the I-formation and shared it with John McKay.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                    Pretty much retired......
                    • Sep 2018
                    • JoJa
                    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                    • Send PM

Most of your choices answer themselves TBT. ALL I want is a solid 2024 where I feel we have a real chance to win each game.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2023
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wow, great eulogy by Madden for Coryll. I didn't realize that Coryll invented the I-formation and shared it with John McKay.
                      Coryell was on McKay's staff at USC in the early 60s.
                      He might have invented it at Whittier, or borrowed the idea from another coach.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Coryell was on McKay's staff at USC in the early 60s.
                        He might have invented it at Whittier, or borrowed the idea from another coach.
                        Ah yes, the Whittier Poets...what a name for a sports team...
                        (And Alma Mater of Richard Nixon...)

Comment

Working...
                        X