• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HB Chargers
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2023
    • Send PM

Playing Owner - 3 HC Hiring Rules

After the firings, I was thinking of the self-imposed "rules" I would prioritize when making a head coaching hire if I were the owner (or GM). These are my top 3. What say you all?

1. Head coach who won't be calling plays (on either side of the ball). I am personally drawn to culture/paradigm builders like John Harbaugh, Dan Campbell, etc. and there have been so many failed coordinator hires when they called plays with comparatively fewer successes.
    -The exception would be for someone who has already done it and proven adept (Kyle Shanahan, Andy Reid)
    2. Collaborative vs. "My system" types. I love the stories out of KC where Reid gets input from the players on plays and even takes their play design suggestions.
    3. Motivator vs. Teacher. You can hire teachers at the coordinator position coach levels. I'd rather someone spend time functioning as CEO rather than getting way in the weeds on the individual teaching.
  • UtahBolt
    Did we win?
    • Jun 2013
    • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
    • Send PM

Would agree with all three. Most strongly with # 3.
    I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

1. A winner
      2. Wants to win
      3. Has won before
      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• ChargersFan12345
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
        1. A winner
        2. Wants to win
        3. Has won before
        Yup, exactly but I am not convinced that Spanos is willing to pay for an experience head coach that has won before

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

1. Someone with extensive NFL Coaching experience. At least 10 years in the NFL. They don't have to have HC experience, but they should at least have a few years as a coordinator.
          (This is so they have experience and familiarity with a number of coaches to build a staff with)

2. A vision for Justin Herbert. Anyone who's coming in needs to be able to capitalize on what is going to be the Prime years of his career.
          Not "we're going to play the 49ers offense" or we're going to run the air raid... but a vision of how to maximize this young man. Whatever the system that's implemented, he needs to be the focal point.

3. A CEO. Someone who can handle a staff. Make hirings and firings that work. I don't want a cheerleader on the sideline, players get sick of that. I want someone who can be smart and analytical and ruthless.
          -A Mike Holmgren type, so to speak. (or Andy Reid, who came from Holmgren's staff)
          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

1. Beta-male
            2. Affordable
            3. Elite vocabulary

-- John Spanos
            Darius "4.36" Davis
            top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP Magic Number 2

Comment

• floydefisher
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • siberiacuse, ny
              • Send PM

Originally posted by HB Chargers View Post
              After the firings, I was thinking of the self-imposed "rules" I would prioritize when making a head coaching hire if I were the owner (or GM). These are my top 3. What say you all?

1. Head coach who won't be calling plays (on either side of the ball). I am personally drawn to culture/paradigm builders like John Harbaugh, Dan Campbell, etc. and there have been so many failed coordinator hires when they called plays with comparatively fewer successes.
              -The exception would be for someone who has already done it and proven adept (Kyle Shanahan, Andy Reid)
              2. Collaborative vs. "My system" types. I love the stories out of KC where Reid gets input from the players on plays and even takes their play design suggestions.
              3. Motivator vs. Teacher. You can hire teachers at the coordinator position coach levels. I'd rather someone spend time functioning as CEO rather than getting way in the weeds on the individual teaching.
              I like the first two, but number three bothers me a bit.

How do people learn unless they are motivated to learn? You have to be able to both teach and motivate to get people to learn.

Just my thoughts as a retired Navy Instructor.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X