• Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Tell Me Your Story Fans

Tell me your lowest point you have seen Chargers at. Tonight became my lowest.

Previously my story:
    I moved from Aus to SD in sept 1997. Didnt know much about NFL. Wactched a few teams in 1998 (Packers i remember most) and started to watch more Chargers games in 1999. Once I found out Darren Bennett was on the Chargers I became a fan. Seau was lighting it up.
    2000 I decided to really study the sport and learn the game. Chargers were my team and I wanted to learn all about this game of "Chess with Athletes". 1-15 record and that was the lowest point of my Charger fandom. I remember the radio guys singing "halfway home" at 0-8 coz the record was 0-16 at the time.

That low point got us Ladainian Tomlinson.
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

So many to choose from.

ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Whydachargers?
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2023
      • Send PM

My lowest point with the Chargers has to start and end with me. I unconsciously make this team my surrogate to "greatness" (all in an effort to distract me from examining and eliminating my long-held problematic thinking and emotional habits that could possibly liberate me from said surrogacy). Being a fan of sports teams for me is like being a drunken sailor...the game representing a port (bars) where I place all my desires to make me enough - on the outside. I hope I decide to grow up some day and do the work to free me from my odd addiction. Can anyone relate to this? For your sake I hope you can't. It's miserable. And stupid as fuck!

Comment

• BigBad
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

The 1-15 in 2000 was bad because the Leaf fiasco set us so far back but at least we had Seau, Rodney, and Jamal on defense.

Comment

• floydefisher
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • siberiacuse, ny
          • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
          Tell me your lowest point you have seen Chargers at. Tonight became my lowest.

Previously my story:
          I moved from Aus to SD in sept 1997. Didnt know much about NFL. Wactched a few teams in 1998 (Packers i remember most) and started to watch more Chargers games in 1999. Once I found out Darren Bennett was on the Chargers I became a fan. Seau was lighting it up.
          2000 I decided to really study the sport and learn the game. Chargers were my team and I wanted to learn all about this game of "Chess with Athletes". 1-15 record and that was the lowest point of my Charger fandom. I remember the radio guys singing "halfway home" at 0-8 coz the record was 0-16 at the time.

That low point got us Ladainian Tomlinson.
          1997. That year, Humphries got hurt (would retire thereafter), and the team basically quit after that.
          sigpic

Comment

• jubei
            Vagabond Ninja
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

I'm gonna share a lighter story:

it was the year we went to the super bowl. the week before that Jr Seau took his wife to my brother's girlfriend's beauty salon in La Jolla. My brother called me and told me to bring my dad down cuz Jr was there and he asked my brother to bring my dad down. So I told my dad and he was SUPER EXCITED...he LOVED Jr. My dad grabbed a Charger sweatshirt and I took him down to the salon. I see Jr in the back corner with his wife getting a pedicure. He sees me and immediately waves to bring my dad on over. My dad was excited like a schoolboy with a brand new girlfriend. We sat with Jr, chatted with him for a while, took pictures, and Jr graciously signed my dad's sweatshirt. My dad had a smile from ear to ear.

That was the best the Chargers could do before my dad passed away in 2012...and he LOVED his chargers and Jr. My last game with my dad was in SD at Qualcomm when they inducted Jr into their hall of fame. But they lost that game...i think it was to the donks.

Comment

• WindsorUK
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Windsor, U.K.
              • Send PM

Lowest point....well, I thought the Holy Roller was but I've definitely changed my mind.

The day Alex Spanos died and left his half wit son OUR football team.

Comment

• northerner
                Charger fan since '79
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

just like my baseball memories, it is all about the playoffs:

the chargers vs. jets home playoff game was agony. 2004-ish (was at the game)

the chargers vs. patriots home playoff game was agony. 2006-ish (was at the game)

the loss to the raiders in the ACFCG was agony. 1980/81

the loss to cincy in the AFCCG was agony. 1981/82

the loss to the oilers in the division round was agony. 1979/80 (was 10 years old, first season watching the chargers)

in the super bowl against the 49ers, they were dead meat going up against a super team, but it was still agony to be so close to the mountain top and fall short.
                Last edited by northerner; 12-15-2023, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

I've never gotten that upset over a game but there have been several of those moments with offseason moves, hires, and in-season moves:

1. Pretty much every AJ Smith offseason and draft from '09 up until he was fired. I remember being so excited about the '09 draft and AJ drafts Larry English & burns another 2nd round pick trading up for Hester. They had a bunch of blue chip players, but AJ just couldn't see the bones of the team slowly declining & he wouldn't do anything about it. The Oline slowly whittled down to nothing, the Dline slowly whittled down to nothing, all the athleticism on the roster slowly whittled down to nothing. It culminated with the special teams disaster season of '10 when they gave up like 9 return TDs and allowed 5 blocked punts.

2. The day Telesco was hired. I knew all about the Colts & Polian because I'd read Polian's book & watched that team repeatedly get pushed around in the playoffs by physical teams. It took a 2-14 season without Peyton Manning for the Colts majority to see the light on Polian. Now, 11 years later, it took a 60 point beatdown by the 'fade for the majority to finally see the light on Telesco. I'm actually elated about last nights game for that reason & have broke down laughing my ass off many times today. Nobody will ever forget that beatdown and the stink of a Telesco built roster suffering an unforgettable 60 point beatdown by the 'fade.

3. The decision by Staley to play starters in last years game at Denver. That one move destroyed what had been a nice run to get back in the playoff picture & what would happen was 100% predictable.

4. The moment this offseason when I spent a weekend watching every snap of Kellen Moore's offense for Dallas. It was apparent to me the offense was not going to come anywhere close to living up to expectations.

Comment

• captaind
                    Cook This Pork Chops
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Balcony
                    • Senile Agitator
                    • Send PM

So many to choose from.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                      SLAM DUNK!
                      • Jun 2013
                      • East County San Diego
                      • Bolt fanatic
                      • Send PM

Just before we got John Butler was the lowest.....we are basically at that point again and I think we go get someone that can do the job again finally....do it for Herbert!
                      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                        French Speaking Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Québec city
                        • Send PM

Very difficult to say.
                        1- Last year at JAX, the evening after the funeral of my younger brother. I was sitting on his Lazy Boy.
                        2- This year at Vegas. It was my 59th birthday and my wife was at the hospital. Nothing serious but ...
                        3- 2009 loss to NYJ at Qualcomm in Divisional. I was in Cuba and I could really see a NO-SD Superbowl.

Honorable mentions
                        The 2006 loss to Patriots in playoff and the loss to LV 2 years ago also broke my heart.

Comment

Working...
                        X