Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Let's get onboard the Stick train

Daniel Popper opines they must sit Herbert for the remainder. That was in the headline, I can't read the article because I don't subscribe to the Athletic. If a subscriber wants to post the text or summarize the article, we welcome you doing so.

Herbert's fractured finger on his throwing hand ends any shot of making the playoffs. It should also end the star QB's season.

Easton Stick...

He's about the same size/weight as Jake Browning and Brock Purdy, though he's faster than those two and his arm strength is no less I'm sure.

His stat line yesterday was 13/24 54% 179 yds 0TD/INT long of 57 yds to QJ 2 strip sack fumbles

I think it's a bit impressive for a guy with no actual game experience thrust into the fire on a moment's notice without taking any first team reps. He didn't throw any INTS and the strip sack fumbles are something that can be cleaned up, his awareness needs to improve.

His stat line is not all that different than Jake Browning's in the game Browning had to take over for Burrow. Both Stick and Browning have been in the league since 2019.

Short week for the next game, but it's against the Raiders who are really struggling right now on offense. Their rookie QB is putrid. I read Pierce is considering going back to Garoppolo. I doubt it happens this week though.

Stick has something going with QJ, and it may be just what QJ needs to get untracked. A new QB he doesn't have a history letting down. QJ could also be good for Stick, if QJ is finally ready to become a stud. They could be really good for each other.

Stick didn't run yesterday, but we know he has that ability and if he does start the rest of the season I suspect we will see that part of his game.

I know there are many posters here who want the Chargers to tank to improve draft position. But eff that, I don't buy into that loser mentality.

The Chargers have no shot at the playoffs, and they will probably lose the majority of their remaining games. But Stick might lead them to a surprise win or two late in the season.

Let Herbert's finger and mind heal. It seems he has hit a wall this season. I'll chalk it up to the dysfunction of Staley and Moore, frustration. Stepping away for a time might be good for him in the long run.

Stick and the Bolts for the win Thursday in Vegas 20-10.
  • Whydachargers?
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    Daniel Popper opines they must sit Herbert for the remainder. That was in the headline, I can't read the article because I don't subscribe to the Athletic. If a subscriber wants to post the text or summarize the article, we welcome you doing so.

Herbert's fractured finger on his throwing hand ends any shot of making the playoffs. It should also end the star QB's season.

Easton Stick...

He's about the same size/weight as Jake Browning and Brock Purdy, though he's faster than those two and his arm strength is no less I'm sure.

His stat line yesterday was 13/24 54% 179 yds 0TD/INT long of 57 yds to QJ 2 strip sack fumbles

I think it's a bit impressive for a guy with no actual game experience thrust into the fire on a moment's notice without taking any first team reps. He didn't throw any INTS and the strip sack fumbles are something that can be cleaned up, his awareness needs to improve.

His stat line is not all that different than Jake Browning's in the game Browning had to take over for Burrow. Both Stick and Browning have been in the league since 2019.

Short week for the next game, but it's against the Raiders who are really struggling right now on offense. Their rookie QB is putrid. I read Pierce is considering going back to Garoppolo. I doubt it happens this week though.

Stick has something going with QJ, and it may be just what QJ needs to get untracked. A new QB he doesn't have a history letting down. QJ could also be good for Stick, if QJ is finally ready to become a stud. They could be really good for each other.

Stick didn't run yesterday, but we know he has that ability and if he does start the rest of the season I suspect we will see that part of his game.

I know there are many posters here who want the Chargers to tank to improve draft position. But eff that, I don't buy into that loser mentality.

The Chargers have no shot at the playoffs, and they will probably lose the majority of their remaining games. But Stick might lead them to a surprise win or two late in the season.

Let Herbert's finger and mind heal. It seems he has hit a wall this season. I'll chalk it up to the dysfunction of Staley and Moore, frustration. Stepping away for a time might be good for him in the long run.

Stick and the Bolts for the win Thursday in Vegas 20-10.
    I agree with you 100%. That long bomb was beautiful from Stick to Johnston. I want more of that! I'm looking forward to seeing how our players respond. I'm guessing they will be in a better place attitude-wise due to no pressure to win since we're out of it now. I believe Staley really fucked our players mojo up. I don't believe Staley tried to do that. He's just in WAYYYY over his head IMO as Head Coach. Too stressful for him and that affected his players in a rather hideous way. They zombied out against Denver. At least the guys should be relaxed now. But who fuckin knows.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2022
      • Send PM

Stick seems to be a standup guy. He's waited five years for this opportunity, so hopefully he can make the best of it.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
        Superbowl?
        • Sep 2018
        • Los Angeles/Chicago
        • Send PM

9-8 playoffs!

Comment

• Wrbanwal
          FUdean
          • Dec 2022
          • Send PM

And I think he’s a free agent this so you’ve got that going for you. Which is nice

Comment

• northerner
            Charger fan since '79
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

1. by onboard, do you mean rooting for him to lose out and improve our draft position? :-)

2. jokes aside - that long pass play between Stick and CJ was one of the few pass bombs we've had this year. it was a great play from both guys.​

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Stick’s last start (other than pre season) was against the Eagles. The Eastern Washington Eagles. He said, “I understand North Dakota State is not the NFL, but I’m used to winning.”

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

Easton Stick - Wikipedia

His numbers at North Dakota State are incredible.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Tommy DeVito is NFC player of the week. DeVito's height/weight/40 time are very similar to Stick's. It seems that backup QBs are flourishing in this age of the NFL. Browning in Cinn, the Giants have won three straight with DeVito, Brock Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant last season and stepped in last season and flourished. It's just going to be interesting to see what Stick can accomplish, or not.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

I didn't realize Stick had such elite arm strength. That throw to QJ went almost 65 air yards which is as far as you'll ever see any QB throw the ball.

Comment

• Wrbanwal
                      FUdean
                      • Dec 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
                      I didn't realize Stick had such elite arm strength. That throw to QJ went almost 65 air yards which is as far as you'll ever see any QB throw the ball.
                      Matched only by Russel Wilson’s throw last week for a touchdown

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Wrbanwal View Post

Matched only by Russel Wilson’s throw last week for a touchdown
                        Yep. Stick's throw reminded me of Wilson's trademark high-arc deep throws. They aren't like Justin Herbert, who can laser that throw on a frozen rope 65 yds without breaking a sweat. Stick's throw looked more like a JK Scott punt with considerable hang time. It works though. Wilson has been very successful with those type of throws.

I've stated this several times already, but Stick and Quentin Johnston might have something going, this might help QJ take a few steps forward.

Comment

Working...
                        X