Chargers at Patriots Game Day Thread / Post Game Reaction (Week 13)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    JH3 and Me
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I agree - that AFCCG hurt the most - we had a clear path to the SB and a probable win, except that we boneheaded the game away, and it wasn't just McCree (although he was the worst perpetrator - and I'll NEVER EVER forgive him); Marty got a stupid penalty, we had the headbutt PF, a gift wrapped interception dropped in the first half, etc.

Jville was 'historic' in the fact that no team had ever lost a playoff game leading by that much AND with that much of a turnover differential. We made NFL history - in the absolutely worst possible way. That's what I meant by 'historic'. No team had ever failed in such a way before - goody for us, Staley and the boys took Chargering to another level . . . . . . . . . Edit - d-mac may be right - it might have been the 3rd worse failure in NFL history - I don't remember. being 3rd worst doesn't make it feel any better though if it was . . . . .

Once again - IMO Staley should have been fired on the runway in Jacksonville and left to find his own way home . . . . . . . . . . but no - we get to suffer through another year of mediocrity in 2023. If we're really lucky idiot ownership will let him stick around for his final year so we can look forward to a banner 2024 . . . . . . . . . . . this team is so much fun - someone remind me again why I root for them??
    3rd worst is not as bad as worst, its actually not historic, its just really bad. I am sensing you just don’t give a shit about other team’s sorrow as much as your own .

Andy Reid out-chargered Staley for one of those two. Up by 28 with about 20 minutes left in the game. Pretty sure you think he’s a great coach, right? If it’s a coach’s first playoff game, folks want to think it will be every playoff game forever after. Not very sound analysis but you can’t even draw a line with one data point so I get it.

I’m not a fan of his anymore so I don’t give a shit what y’all call him. If he pulls off 5 wins, I’ll likely change my mind because that would be fucking nuts! I’d bet you a cheeseburger only because I enjoy the chance to buy people cheeseburgers. I’m a giver
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      JH3 and Me
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Not the greatest lead lost but the greatest lead lost with a +5 TO differential. That was historic.
      Eh, I’m not one for multiple sub-variables strung together to get to historic.

“Most yards … by a tailback … number 13 … who is left handed … and matriculated from an ACC school … and graduated in winter session …” - meh. It was the third worst playoff loss if the measure of worst is losing a lead. Thats bad, not historic., I’d further say getting blown out by 40 points is worse than losing by 1 no matter how you got there and there are tons and tons and tons of worse playoff losses … but whatever. We lost the game by 1 pt as the clock expired and it sucked.

I wanted to win too.

My concern with Staley is more holistic - when good teams with quick skill players and an accurate QB decide to attack or defense by hitting 10-15 yard gaps in Staleys cover shell lid zone shit over and over and over and Staley doesn’t adjust because he knows his scheme is perfect - I cannot stand such intransigence.

When offenses are in 3rd and 4 and the DBs coving thre wideouts are lined up 8+ yards off the LOS with inside leverage, he’s conceded the quick out first down without even trying. The picture of was it the Titans or who, 4th and 2 and he had every DB 5+ yards off the LOS, TE catches an easy pass for first down? ARRGH!

When coverage players get confused over and over and over again and don’t line up right, don’t pick up the right receivers and it looks to be due to his “clever: disguise hiding scheme shit that he specifically is the creator of, and they fuck up over and over and receivers run wide open way too often, and all he does is say the players need to get out there and execute and compete - i hear a stubborn a-hole that will never have the flexible intelligence to succeed over the long term. The Players do not fucking get it, you need to change it to something they do!

I never went back to that JX game to watch if these exact flaws in his psyche caused that loss or not - just don’t know - I only watched with focus the first half, then I had to leave for a gig and was catching the 4th quarter from the stage from the corner of my eye during sound check. Needless to say, seeing/knowing what happened - i didn;’t want to go watch the DVR in full after I got home lol.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

3rd worst is not as bad as worst, its actually not historic, its just really bad. I am sensing you just don’t give a shit about other team’s sorrow as much as your own .

Andy Reid out-chargered Staley for one of those two. Up by 28 with about 20 minutes left in the game. Pretty sure you think he’s a great coach, right? If it’s a coach’s first playoff game, folks want to think it will be every playoff game forever after. Not very sound analysis but you can’t even draw a line with one data point so I get it.

I’m not a fan of his anymore so I don’t give a shit what y’all call him. If he pulls off 5 wins, I’ll likely change my mind because that would be fucking nuts! I’d bet you a cheeseburger only because I enjoy the chance to buy people cheeseburgers. I’m a giver
        Maybe - but Reid's been pretty good since then. Can't say the same for Staley, who's been consistently mediocre to bad. Are you implying that these 2 guys are on the same level because they both had failures in the playoffs? That seems like a (monumental) stretch . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          JH3 and Me
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Maybe - but Reid's been pretty good since then. Can't say the same for Staley, who's been consistently mediocre to bad. Are you implying that these 2 guys are on the same level because they both had failures in the playoffs? That seems like a (monumental) stretch . . . . . . . . . .
          He has indeed been good since and no I'm not. The only implication is that one bad game is just one game and it can happen to even a great coach. I think Reid is a great coach, He's fixed his very frequent very bad late game coaching and clock management errors that plagued him when at Philly.

That doesn't make Staley a great coach, one game just doesn't prove that he's not. He has a larger body of data and I'm not seeing Year 3 improvement. Staley has not shown me yet that he will or can fix what I consider his biggest flaws. he thinks he's a creative genius but he lacks awareness or adaptive abilities imo. I don't know he will fix it but I'm now fine not waiting to find out. I'd fire him now but am now resigned to just hope the Spani do if he doesn't rally the team all the way into the playoffs.

If he DOES get into the playoffs - you and I both know he is going to get another year and I'll have to hope that this time he takes to heart lessons for himself and changes how he doesn his job and not just say everyone else needs to learn to compete.

3rd worse loss in history still really sucks. I was just poking fun at the school girl histrionics that go on around here. Everything that happens to a Charger fan is not the worst thing that ever happened anywhere ever lol. That doesn't mean its good.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

He has indeed been good since and no I'm not. The only implication is that one bad game is just one game and it can happen to even a great coach. I think Reid is a great coach, He's fixed his very frequent very bad late game coaching and clock management errors that plagued him when at Philly.

That doesn't make Staley a great coach, one game just doesn't prove that he's not. He has a larger body of data and I'm not seeing Year 3 improvement. Staley has not shown me yet that he will or can fix what I consider his biggest flaws. he thinks he's a creative genius but he lacks awareness or adaptive abilities imo. I don't know he will fix it but I'm now fine not waiting to find out. I'd fire him now but am now resigned to just hope the Spani do if he doesn't rally the team all the way into the playoffs.

If he DOES get into the playoffs - you and I both know he is going to get another year and I'll have to hope that this time he takes to heart lessons for himself and changes how he doesn his job and not just say everyone else needs to learn to compete.

3rd worse loss in history still really sucks. I was just poking fun at the school girl histrionics that go on around here. Everything that happens to a Charger fan is not the worst thing that ever happened anywhere ever lol. That doesn't mean its good.
            10/4. If BS had only had a bad game (or 3) I wouldn't be as disappointed, but - as you say his inability to fix (or even acknowledge) his persistent flaws is what's dooming him.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Eh, I’m not one for multiple sub-variables strung together to get to historic.

“Most yards … by a tailback … number 13 … who is left handed … and matriculated from an ACC school … and graduated in winter session …” - meh. It was the third worst playoff l
              its 2 things. Not multiple

but if it helps focus on the TO differential.

Comment

Working...
              X