• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    Derius Davis' Combine measurements were the same as Tank Dell's. Both guys measured at 5-foot-8.3 inches and 165lbs. Davis' 40 time was 4.36 compared to Dell's 4.49. But speed doesn't always equate to quickness. Dell, even with his less than stellar 40 time, is quick, like Zay Flowers was last night.

Davis looks smaller on the field than Dell, even though, again, their physical measurements were identical at the Combine.

I am frustrated too they aren't using Davis in a more vertical way. Everything they throw to him is horizontal, and he has to rely on blocking to get him into space, and the Chargers have trouble executing that. My guess is they are hesitant to have him downfield routes because they want to minimize the risk of injury, his value is as a kick returner, and they don't want to risk not having him available for that.
    I watched tape of both Pre-Draft. Tank Dell was a polished route runner. That's why I had him as a 3rd-round rated WR. But I'm talking about running him deep. As you've pointed out, DD is faster... straight line speed. There is plenty of tape of him getting deep and taking the top off of a defense. He can get behind a safety and catch a deep ball. But the most important thing is... a defense must commit a safety to him. That's his value. Even if they never throw the ball to him... which eventually they will. Keep a RB in to protect Herbie from [insert pass rusher's name] vs. Pipkin's missed block.
    OLineCentric

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I watched tape of both Pre-Draft. Tank Dell was a polished route runner. That's why I had him as a 3rd-round rated WR. But I'm talking about running him deep. As you've pointed out, DD is faster... straight line speed. There is plenty of tape of him getting deep and taking the top off of a defense. He can get behind a safety and catch a deep ball. But the most important thing is... a defense must commit a safety to him. That's his value. Even if they never throw the ball to him... which eventually they will. Keep a RB in to protect Herbie from [insert pass rusher's name] vs. Pipkin's missed block.
      That assumes he doesn’t get jammed and blown up at the LOS by press coverage, something he doesn’t seem particularly good at.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

That assumes he doesn’t get jammed and blown up at the LOS by press coverage, something he doesn’t seem particularly good at.
        There are plenty of ways for him not to get jammed. Same way Miami has used Hill and Waddle, in motion going close to full speed when the ball is snapped and go upfield as fast as possible.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

There are plenty of ways for him not to get jammed. Same way Miami has used Hill and Waddle, in motion going close to full speed when the ball is snapped and go upfield as fast as possible.
          Agree, yet with all of our injuries he isn’t getting a sniff at playing time so something is off with him.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

Agree, yet with all of our injuries he isn’t getting a sniff at playing time so something is off with him.
            Is something off with him or the coaching staff? Because as far as I can see, they are using QJ completely wrong. He is not Mike Williams! So it wouldn’t surprise me if they were using DD completely wrong or not getting creative on how they can use him. At this point, I’m going to go with coaching staff because with all this talent on this team, they are 4-7.

Teams doing more with less because of coaching

Colts- 2nd string QB
            Steelers- Pickett
            Browns- 2nd and 3rd QB
            Raiders- Interm HC and 4th round rookie QB
            Broncos- 1st year rebuild
            Texans- 1st year HC w/ Rookie QB and 1st year OC

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

Is something off with him or the coaching staff? Because as far as I can see, they are using QJ completely wrong. He is not Mike Williams! So it wouldn’t surprise me if they were using DD completely wrong or not getting creative on how they can use him. At this point, I’m going to go with coaching staff because with all this talent on this team, they are 4-7.

Teams doing more with less because of coaching

Colts- 2nd string QB
              Steelers- Pickett
              Browns- 2nd and 3rd QB
              Raiders- Interm HC and 4th round rookie QB
              Broncos- 1st year rebuild
              Texans- 1st year HC w/ Rookie QB and 1st year OC
              Tank Dell was a 3rd rd. pick who has shined as has another 3rd rd. pick of Texans, Nico Collins. Wasting a first on WR was huge miss that’s on Telesco. Kellen Moore has proven to be a good OC, his system is predicated on running the ball which this roster construction doesn’t have right personnel (again that’s on Telesco). So my feeling really centers around roster build, vision and leveraging draft capital (another failure). Blame Staley and assistants, blame players for mistakes and injuries but you got to cut the head off the snake.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

I agree with this take. Davis is more than just a straightline runner he's quick and agile with the ball in his hands. Keep in mind Tyreek Hill was just a return guy and gadget tailback coming out of college. He'd been in the NFL a couple of years before they even moved him to receiver. I wouldn't expect Davis to become Tyreek Hill but as slow as this offense is and as bad as QJ is Davis should be a pretty big part of it if you want an actual potential weapon out there. Put him in motion and run him down the field. I really think Kellen Moore is just a bad football coach. He doesn't utilize personnel correctly and is still trying to run the outdated offenses he learned from Scott Linehan and Jason Garrett. He never does anything from under center, pretty much only has one running play in his offense, doesn't utilize the RB screen game, and obviously he doesn't properly teach blocking schemes because his guys are continually giving up free runners at the QB. Big downgrade from Lombardi IMO

Lombardi's offense last season with only Josh Palmer and DeAndre Carter never looked anywhere near this bad hell they went into San Francisco and nearly got it done in that game last season.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

This discussion of using DD in a more vertical role brings up, again, the failure of the OL to protect Herbert long enough to be able to throw deep. Which is something I have a hard time wrapping my head around because of the recent 1st round picks invested in the OL and the "steal" they supposedly got in Salyer in the '22 draft. It's pretty clear that Pipkins indeed did not develop into this starting caliber RT that Telesco and Chargers coaches claim. He is a weak link, granted. The loss of Linsley was a blow, but Clapp in his place has won some PFF accolades for his play. It's so frustrating, because last season it seemed like the Chargers had a young core of quality OL that was going to keep Herbert protected for a long time.

Comment

• Duck of Death
                    Social Piranha
                    • May 2022
                    • Flyover, USA
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Tank Dell was a 3rd rd. pick who has shined as has another 3rd rd. pick of Texans, Nico Collins. Wasting a first on WR was huge miss that’s on Telesco. Kellen Moore has proven to be a good OC, his system is predicated on running the ball which this roster construction doesn’t have right personnel (again that’s on Telesco). So my feeling really centers around roster build, vision and leveraging draft capital (another failure). Blame Staley and assistants, blame players for mistakes and injuries but you got to cut the head off the snake.
                    I would agree if it were truly his decision. I’m just not sure it is. There’s a reason why he’s the 2nd longest tenured GM in the league with a career losing record (maybe even 1st). He’s probably been following orders splendidly

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Or somethin is off with this coaching staff

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Or somethin is off with this coaching staff
                        There is, but I think people vastly overrate Davis' polish as a WR.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          BetterToday ThanYesterday
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I see them trying to get Davis the ball in spots that let him use his speed and his elusiveness (which is far better than the scouting said). His size limits his workload and he must have a lot of work to do on running routes. I am not disappointed in how he is being used. One of the problems is this offense so seldom gets into a rhythm or a groove that you cannot insert a player like Davis into the flow. This offense feels out of synch a lot and it is driven primarily by player breakdowns - missed blocks, dropped balls, fumbles, etc

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X