• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Venturafan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2023
    • Send PM

Wasting Derius Davis

Why aren't we letting davis go deep? His speed in 40 is similar to the 'cheetah'. We should utilize that!
  • Berserker76
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

Good question, was wondering this myself.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
      Outback Goon
      • Sep 2018
      • Australia
      • Send PM

instead we throw to practice squad guys that run the wrong route

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

At this point I'm willing to try anything but just because he can run fast, doesn't mean he is a good WR. He is a smaller version of Guyton, who also is not a good receiver.

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          At this point I'm willing to try anything but just because he can run fast, doesn't mean he is a good WR. He is a smaller version of Guyton, who also is not a good receiver.
          Guyton is terrible. He can't block worth a shit and drops half the balls thrown to him.
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• victoriaboltfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • victoria b.c.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Guyton is terrible. He can't block worth a shit and drops half the balls thrown to him.
            I never understood why many here were so excited for his return .He's a JAG

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
              Originally posted by victoriaboltfan View Post
              I never understood why many here were so excited for his return .He's a JAG
              Guyton is very good in a certain role, we know what that role is. He's not a 1st, 2nd or 3rd guy. He's a field stretcher. The problem is, with so many WR injuries they are forced to use him in ways he's not ideally suited. Also, understand that he has just returned from a major injury/surgery, he has not been playing football all season, he hasn't played in more than a year. Also, skill position players who undergo the kind of surgery to a knee that Guyton did don't return to full capacity for a season, even when the knee is healed. I'm not defending Guyton as much as I'm saying you all should be realistic about what Guyton is and isn't. He's one of the best WRs we have at tracking and catching deep balls while running at a full sprint. Not every WR can do that, as we have seen with QJ. Hating on Guyton is misguided.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

DD has caught 12 of 13 targets.
                QJ has caught 21 of 37 targets.

They don't have to throw to him deep for him to be effective. They just have to send him deep.
                A guy with that speed attracts safeties deep... much like Guyton did vs the Ravens.
                If you put 2 speedsters out there (and send them deep) then you have attracted 2 safeties.
                This creates a lot of room for KA and Everett underneath... and more room for Ekeler out of the backfield.
                And I wouldn't mind seeing JH try him deep every once in a while, either.

The season is effectively over. Why not see what effect it has on your offense...?
                OLineCentric

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Derius Davis' Combine measurements were the same as Tank Dell's. Both guys measured at 5-foot-8.3 inches and 165lbs. Davis' 40 time was 4.36 compared to Dell's 4.49. But speed doesn't always equate to quickness. Dell, even with his less than stellar 40 time, is quick, like Zay Flowers was last night.

Davis looks smaller on the field than Dell, even though, again, their physical measurements were identical at the Combine.

I am frustrated too they aren't using Davis in a more vertical way. Everything they throw to him is horizontal, and he has to rely on blocking to get him into space, and the Chargers have trouble executing that. My guess is they are hesitant to have him downfield routes because they want to minimize the risk of injury, his value is as a kick returner, and they don't want to risk not having him available for that.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

They don't have to throw to him deep for him to be effective. They just have to send him deep.
                    A guy with that speed attracts safeties deep... much like Guyton did vs the Ravens.
                    If you put 2 speedsters out there (and send them deep) then you have attracted 2 safeties.
                    This creates a lot of room for KA and Everett underneath... and more room for Ekeler out of the backfield.

The season is effectively over. Why not see what effect it has on your offense...?
                    This is good in theory. But to actually execute something like this the line has to be able to protect Herbert long enough for Guyton/Davis go get deep enough to open it up for the 'neath receivers.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                      The Precious
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

Why go deep when we can throw short LOS passes to him and let him get killed? It’s not like we need him in the return game or anything.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                        French Speaking Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Québec city
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Loverboy - When It's Over (Official Video) - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                        X