Raiders @ Chargers Official Game Day Thread / Post Game Reaction (Wk 4)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

QJ looks tentative and unsure of himself. Appears to lack some confidence at this point in time. Hopefully that will change, but the early returns are not positive.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Aidan O'Connell did some impressive things in his first start. But I think he lacks pocket awareness and is too much of a statue and if he doesn't learn to be more mobile he won't succeed in the NFL. Mack got six sacks on him because he doesn't move, he doesn't know how move around in the pocket to avoid getting sacked or to escape the pocket when it gets muddy. Contrast that to Herbert who knows when to bail and gain positive yardage with his legs or move out to one side and make an accurate throw on the run. McConnell seems to be strictly a pocket passer. If the Raiders made him a franchise QB they would have to build a great OL around him to make it work.
      Originally posted by OG619FrightninLightnin View Post
      His 1st game. 4th rounder right? He should get better and be a solid #2
      Mack is giving words to what I was saying about O'Connell. I don't know how much that is coachable. O'Connell may not be athletic enough to move around the pocket or escape the pocket and make plays. We saw Herbert do this from Day 1. I looked up O'Connell's 40 time: 4.96. That's slower than some OL.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profoo...t-benefited-us

Mack said that O’Connell has not yet developed the pocket presence of a seasoned NFL quarterback, and Mack benefited from that.

“We just had time to get there. Everybody on the defense was working together,” Mack said, via the Associated Press. “He was doing a lot of things that was benefiting us while he was moving around in the pocket. I was able to get there.”

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I think it’s predictable, almost preordained that folks here call for coach firing after a win. I think that is weird to demand to fire the coach after a victory, yes - that is my point - you got it.

you say their QB is an idiot, … why? You know him personally?
        No I don't, but it's not hard to see he was an idiot on that play, just like Kirk Cousins was last week when he didn't spike the ball and get his team together for more structured shots at the end zone.

I don't think it's weird that some here are fed up with Staley, even after a win. If you see what's coming ahead in the future it's not hard to recognize that Staley's performances the last two weeks, even in wins, won't be good enough against the Cowboys, Chiefs, Ravens, and Lions (yes, they are good). It may not even be good enough against the Raiders the second time around (we split with them last year against McDaniel) or the Broncos at least once (we split with them in each of Staley's first two seasons against inferior coaches).

Staley needs to step it up and prove he's worthy of an extension. So far he has not. That's the reality of the situation.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post

My comment was in jest, but it actually points to one of the reasons why this team always seems to have depth issues. I think Ghost mentioned this before - they hold onto wasted projects far past their expiration dates:

- Tillery - Lasted into his 4th season despite no discernible production
          - Rountree - Somehow kept sticking around into his 3rd camp. Truly amazing.
          - Storm - Stuck around 3 seasons, with enough passable performances to count on one hand.
          - K9 - Finally flashing a bit in his 4th season, but still inconsistent.
          - Kelley - 4th season, career 3.5 ypc
          - McTitty - 3rd season. 3rd round pick spent on a blocking TE who has trouble blocking.
          - Jaimes - 3rd season. The cheerleaders have seen the field more.
          - Pipkins - Finally developed into above average pass pro in his 4th season, but also caused a lot of lumps for the QB & RBs along the way.
          - Bulaga * - Only 2 seasons, but I add him here because literally everyone and their mother knew he wouldn’t last very long in his 2nd yr (lasted 1 game).
          - Spiller - Still early, but will he be Kelly 2.0?
          - Sarrell - Again, early, but …

Do other contending teams behave this way? I honestly don’t know

But I’m pretty sure this list isn’t complete when delving deeper into history.
          AJ Smith, the last Charger GM to win an AFC West division title said: It is better to get rid a player a year too early than a year too late.

Do you remember when Michael 'The Burner' Turner was RB2 as an insurance policy should LT go down, before he became RB1 in Atlanta? THAT's the kind of talent the Chargers fielded, under a different President of Player Personnel.

The really good thing about the Bryan Bulaga signing over JCJ, is Bulaga didn't cost the Chargers any games. As personnel department signed a player with nothing left in the tank in Bulaga. I am also frustrated the team wins games when Derwin James is on the sidelines. That said, we should move this discussion to the GM thread.

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

The bottom line for this team is the same as it was going into the season: They are not well coached. Staley continues to make head scratching decisions, the defense continues to be porous, and Moore's offense isn't lighting up the scoreboard like some here thought it would. Herbie seems to ALWAYS be under pressure; when was the last time he dropped back and had time to work through his progressions without a d-lineman right in his face (or having to run for his life)?

The only thing these last two weeks have done is saved Staley's job...for now. 0-4 and I feel as if there would have at least been some talk about replacing him. Now, he's safe again. And that's definitely not a good thing.

Comment

• electricgold
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2020
              • Send PM

What makes a good to great head coach is putting your players in a position to win while at the same time using your players talents and abilities effectively. If the players don't have total faith in their HC they usually lose against the better teams. I think it's fair to say as of today Brandon Staley is walking this fine line. No matter what happens this year if the Chargers miss the playoffs or lose round one it would be hard to justify keeping him here! After 3 years here this is the main storyline with him remaining with the Chargers after this season. So far this year I would give him a C- ...

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I think we've had two losses coming out of the bye with Staley.

I've seen opinions that Clapp was not good in this game, but I thought he was good enough. Herbert didn't have a lot of time in the pocket, but I blame that more of an inability to contain Maxx Crosby, a genuine force, on the edges.
                We’re 1-1 after the bye under Staley. Lost against the Patriots in 2021 and beat the Falcons in 2022.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post
                  Clapp was not our biggest problem yesterday, he did a decent job for a backup. Our secondary was a mess. Thank goodness Garappolo wasn't playing or he would have shredded these guys. Not quite so enamored with Moore, either. Some head-scratching play calls and a stalled offense again. Does he call all of the plays on offense or does Staley help him out? Just curious, don't know the mechanics of play-calling. Was thrilled with the win, though. Didn't have to do the walk of shame this time. All of those fader fans streaming out with not much to say. Priceless. Would be epic if we could beat the cowboys at home. It's going to be even more of a home game for them than the faders, those fans are thick as fleas on a possum.
                  I don’t think Garappolo would have done any better yesterday against the defense.

And yes, Moore calls the plays. Why would Staley help him out during the game?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                    QJ looks tentative and unsure of himself. Appears to lack some confidence at this point in time. Hopefully that will change, but the early returns are not positive.
                    he just needs reps, if they give them to him he will respond, if they hold him back he will take longer to develop...
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Against the Vikes, many (here and elsewhere) said they agreed with going for it, but do a sneak with your 240 lb qb, don't hand it to an ineffective RB. Now that the QB sneak did not work every time (at least one of those was Herberts fault for not keeping his feet planted and pushing forward) Staley is an idiot for calling the play? I am getting dizzy.

TG
                      Same exact feeling.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post

My comment was in jest, but it actually points to one of the reasons why this team always seems to have depth issues. I think Ghost mentioned this before - they hold onto wasted projects far past their expiration dates:

- Tillery - Lasted into his 4th season despite no discernible production
                        - Rountree - Somehow kept sticking around into his 3rd camp. Truly amazing.
                        - Storm - Stuck around 3 seasons, with enough passable performances to count on one hand.
                        - K9 - Finally flashing a bit in his 4th season, but still inconsistent.
                        - Kelley - 4th season, career 3.5 ypc
                        - McTitty - 3rd season. 3rd round pick spent on a blocking TE who has trouble blocking.
                        - Jaimes - 3rd season. The cheerleaders have seen the field more.
                        - Pipkins - Finally developed into above average pass pro in his 4th season, but also caused a lot of lumps for the QB & RBs along the way.
                        - Bulaga * - Only 2 seasons, but I add him here because literally everyone and their mother knew he wouldn’t last very long in his 2nd yr (lasted 1 game).
                        - Spiller - Still early, but will he be Kelly 2.0?
                        - Sarrell - Again, early, but …

Do other contending teams behave this way? I honestly don’t know

But I’m pretty sure this list isn’t complete when delving deeper into history.
                        Belichick got away with it all the time when Brady was QB. Now you’re seeing his issues more without Brady to cover it up.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post
                          Clapp was not our biggest problem yesterday, he did a decent job for a backup. Our secondary was a mess. Thank goodness Garappolo wasn't playing or he would have shredded these guys. Not quite so enamored with Moore, either. Some head-scratching play calls and a stalled offense again. Does he call all of the plays on offense or does Staley help him out? Just curious, don't know the mechanics of play-calling. Was thrilled with the win, though. Didn't have to do the walk of shame this time. All of those fader fans streaming out with not much to say. Priceless. Would be epic if we could beat the cowboys at home. It's going to be even more of a home game for them than the faders, those fans are thick as fleas on a possum.
                          Moore is an improvement over Lombozo for sure, but sometimes he calls plays that you see in college games, this is not Boise State, this is the NFL and that college shit doesn't work against NFL speed...I like the improvement under Moore but he also seems like a guy that is still learning how to coach as a coordinator...something that Staley only did for one year, if Staley had coached defense for more than one year in the NFL, he would have disqualified himself as HC material long before he got the charger job...
                          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                          X