• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Concerns Over The Defensive Line...

Why is Brandon Staley obsessed with older D-linemen? we must have one of the oldest groups in the NFL and defense is all about having guys get after it, you need a lot of young guys to have a strong defense...our defensive linemen (including IR, 53 man roster, and PS) are in their following years mack 10, williams 9, covington 9, bosa 8, johnson 8, fox 7, SJD 6, rumph 3, obonnia 2, hinton 2, mattlock R, clark R, farmer R, tuli R...half the total group is in year six or above...this is not good balance to me and it's a clear consequence of years and years of neglect and bad drafting on defensive line, now the O-line is a perfect example of how you mix age with experience, 3 of the five guys are in year 2-3 and one in year 5, the only old timer is Linsley...

I think the next big movement for this team personnel wise is to get a lot younger on the defense trenches, this is too many old timers for one team...Staley has infused youth into the secondary but for some reason he prefers older D-linemen...this has been a deliberate decision that he has made, instead of keeping a much younger Nwosu he brought in the older Mack, he also cut Broughton and replaced him with covington, I was okay with him cutting tillery but he basically replaced him with an older player in fox too...
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

the older guys outperformed the younger guys they replaced : Mack over Nwosu, Covington over Broughton and Fox over Tillery.

we can see the changes Staley made on the O-line and project him to make similar changes to D-line in 24-25. He has already started with Tuli and Matlock.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
      the older guys outperformed the younger guys they replaced : Mack over Nwosu, Covington over Broughton and Fox over Tillery.

we can see the changes Staley made on the O-line and project him to make similar changes to D-line in 24-25. He has already started with Tuli and Matlock.
      IDK, Nwosu has already earned an extension in Seattle where he just continued to expand on what he did his last season in LA...I'm okay with Tillerry gettin cut but why let Broughton and jones walk? SJD, Fox, Jones, mattlock, Hinton and obonnia would be a much better blend of youth and experience with Broughton on the PS. similarly, nwosu, bosa, rumph, and tuli would also be a younger more dynamic group less prone to injury...

with older vets you have to sprinkle a little bit here and there to add experience and leadership but our D-line is loaded with older guys...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

Agree, tape on Morgan Fox alone changed the way the Chargers think about players of need on the D-line.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

IDK, Nwosu has already earned an extension in Seattle where he just continued to expand on what he did his last season in LA...I'm okay with Tillerry gettin cut but why let Broughton and jones walk? SJD, Fox, Jones, mattlock, Hinton and obonnia would be a much better blend of youth and experience with Broughton on the PS. similarly, nwosu, bosa, rumph, and tuli would also be a younger more dynamic group less prone to injury...

with older vets you have to sprinkle a little bit here and there to add experience and leadership but our D-line is loaded with older guys...
          I believe you can win with the right balance of gray beards. Nowadays, with 30-32 being considered old, you can get some excellent savvy vets.

Comment

• jubei
            Vagabond Ninja
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

and now possible hammy issues with our young LBer who has been playin really well in PS.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

who is the coach that gets rid of guys on defense even before they're 30? and he also always sprinkles in one or two veteran leaders but the majority of his guys tend to be younger...he's considered one of the greatest defensive coaches of all time...

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Edge- Mack 10. Bosa 8, Rumph 3, Tuli R )( PS Allen R, Farmer R

DL- Williams 11, A Johnson 8, Fox 7, Bash 6, Hinton 1, Matlock R (Tito 1 PUP) PS Covington 8, Clark R, Okoye R

Looks good. Quality vets lead the way.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                  Edge- Mack 10. Bosa 8, Rumph 3, Tuli R )( PS Allen R, Farmer R

DL- Williams 11, A Johnson 8, Fox 7, Bash 6, Hinton 1, Matlock R (Tito 1 PUP) PS Covington 8, Clark R, Okoye R

Looks good. Quality vets lead the way.
                  I think a coach that leans on too many vets is showing his own qualities, guys that can take what the team has when they arrive and make it work by adding a piece here and there, those are the guys that know what they are doing...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    JH3 and Me
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Why is Brandon Staley obsessed with older D-linemen? we must have one of the oldest groups in the NFL and defense is all about having guys get after it, you need a lot of young guys to have a strong defense...our defensive linemen (including IR, 53 man roster, and PS) are in their following years mack 10, williams 9, covington 9, bosa 8, johnson 8, fox 7, SJD 6, rumph 3, obonnia 2, hinton 2, mattlock R, clark R, farmer R, tuli R...half the total group is in year six or above...this is not good balance to me and it's a clear consequence of years and years of neglect and bad drafting on defensive line, now the O-line is a perfect example of how you mix age with experience, 3 of the five guys are in year 2-3 and one in year 5, the only old timer is Linsley...

I think the next big movement for this team personnel wise is to get a lot younger on the defense trenches, this is too many old timers for one team...Staley has infused youth into the secondary but for some reason he prefers older D-linemen...this has been a deliberate decision that he has made, instead of keeping a much younger Nwosu he brought in the older Mack, he also cut Broughton and replaced him with covington, I was okay with him cutting tillery but he basically replaced him with an older player in fox too...
                    Someone is cranky today. Mack is a certified star, Nwosu shouldn’t even cut his lawn. Bosa is also a star, that he inherited, was he supposed to cut him? Covington is on the PS, relax. You’re awful fired up about shitting on the team today. He focused on building the OL for Herbert - it was the right first focus. Johnson is probably our best IDL, he had to sign someone to shore up the collection of shit he inherited while building a OL that was complete crap. you want to cut him too? Fox was clutch last year and they brought him back cheap. Rumph, Obonnia, Matlock, Clark, Farmer, Tuli all added since he got here - thats 6 DL. You left out Okoye, make it 7 DL that entered the league since he got here. 7 is a lot. 2 of his 7 draft picks this year were DL. What do you want, all 7 picks for DL?
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

who is the coach that gets rid of guys on defense even before they're 30? and he also always sprinkles in one or two veteran leaders but the majority of his guys tend to be younger...he's considered one of the greatest defensive coaches of all time...
                      Belichick? He has some old guys.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

LOL, I have been cranky today, the neighbors have sewer main break and they are getting it fixed right now, it's hard to sleep with the smell...as for Staley, I'm not rooting against him or anything but I want to see something from his defense this year, I've had it with the run defense being around the bottom of the pile the two years he's been coach...

Comment

Working...
                        X