Elijah Dotson Makes the Initial 53 (Was Poll)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Why are we hesitant to praise Dotson for beating up lesser competition. Thats what good players do

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
      I could see Kelley being a surprise cut if both Spiller and Dotson continue to shine. We’ve seen Kelley’s ceiling already, it’s okay but not anything to write home about. Both Spiller and Dotson seem to have attributes Kelley doesn’t, and both are just scratching the surface of what they can do. Kelley has had a looong time to show he’s more than the other guy…

Pass pro will likely decide it.
      Kelley did show decent improvement last year, and looks good so far this year. He may get bypassed by either Dot or Spiller, but he's still worth keeping on the committee. As I said before, Horvath to PS, and I'm not sure he's even worth keeping there...but go with the GANG OF FOUR...

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
        Why are we hesitant to praise Dotson for beating up lesser competition. Thats what good players do
        He's the current Training Camp Phenom, and most of them kind of fade as they are still lower half of the roster. I do think he has potential to be a real breakout.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
          There was a pass-rusher who dominated for one or two games in preseason--I think during A.J.'s final year. People on another forum said he had All-Pro potential. He didn't make the final 53. I can't remember his name.

I'm not losing it over a preseason game in which a running back bounced outside for two long touchdown runs against a defense that mostly contained players who will be trying out for the USFL and XFL in the spring. We'll see how Dotson does going forward.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

There was a pass-rusher who dominated for one or two games in preseason--I think during A.J.'s final year. People on another forum said he had All-Pro potential. He didn't make the final 53. I can't remember his name.

I'm not losing it over a preseason game in which a running back bounced outside for two long touchdown runs against a defense that mostly contained players who will be trying out for the USFL and XFL in the spring. We'll see how Dotson does going forward.
            I do remember Jyles Tucker, who had a breakout game with 3 sacks and two forced fumbles vs. the Raiders at the end of the 2007 regular season...in the offseason, AJ extended Tucker to a surprisingly generous 5-year, $14 mil deal...but Tucker never really panned out and the Bolts released him a few years later...towards the end of his career as our GM, AJ kind of lost his touch by extending or signing unproven or red flag vets for megabucks, like Lazy Gaither...so, the lesson is, first a player should show a decent body of work before earning a big contract...having said that, let's see what Dot does in the next few games, but looks like a keeper to me so far...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Whydachargers? View Post

No-brainer for me (Dotson!). I'm not getting it either.
              you hear the argument that it was against lower competition, but the rest of the backs were all running against mostly reserves too, plus he had our 3rd and 4rth stringers blocking for him too...Dotson had the second lowest number of touches of any charger that played on Saturday, only one other player had fewer touches...

Rountree getting axed is evidence that the staff wants a bigger sample this coming game against the Saints...they are going to throw a lot at Dotson and it'll be interesting to see how he responds...I know he'll do great , running, catching the ball, and yards after contact, but what I want to see is if the kid understands his job in pass protection and can execute effective blocks to keep his QB upright?
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

I didnt say he was automatic, but he is still in the mix until he is cut...so I count 5 serious RB candidates, but figure we will only keep 4...
                I'm not worried about Horvath clearing waivers and I've got zero concerns of him going elsewhere and becoming the next Wes Welker...but Dotson? Yeah, I can see him going to another team and becoming the next ekeler...the special teams coach can of fuck himself if he wants horvath over dotson, Staley and Moore have to override that bullshit...
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Okay, so coach up someone ELSE to be a good core teamer...
                  there is literally nothing Horvath does on STs that Dotson can't do...if anything Dotson provides legit added depth as a return man as well...give Kelley all of Horvath's FB reps if necessary...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                    I could see Kelley being a surprise cut if both Spiller and Dotson continue to shine. We’ve seen Kelley’s ceiling already, it’s okay but not anything to write home about. Both Spiller and Dotson seem to have attributes Kelley doesn’t, and both are just scratching the surface of what they can do. Kelley has had a looong time to show he’s more than the other guy…

Pass pro will likely decide it.
                    I don't know about that, Kelley has turned himself into a pro, he's solid a lot of stuff (pass pro, catching, protecting the ball etc.) even if he doesn't stand out as a superstar back like ekeler he is a solid player on the roster, I'm not saying that they will even consider bringing him back next year but I think he's safe for this year...he's quality experienced depth that's still on a rookie deal...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Popper has him as a core teamer . . . . . . . . . . but he sure doesn't give us much on offense.
                      like someone else said, then just make dotson a core special teamer, even if all Dotson was strictly a STs player, he still offers more versatility than Horvath on STs...Horvath is not a great fullback and doesn't add much value anywhere else outside of special teams...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

He's the current Training Camp Phenom, and most of them kind of fade as they are still lower half of the roster. I do think he has potential to be a real breakout.
                        I thought hightower had that title this year? He's the one I've been hearing a LOT about...Yes, I hate to say this because it might get some folks riled up and it's never good to compare players like that but Dotson's impact on Saturday's game reminded me of Ekeler back in 2017, that same thing that happened to me then happened on Saturday, "who the fuck is this guy?" type of reaction...

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

there is literally nothing Horvath does on STs that Dotson can't do...if anything Dotson provides legit added depth as a return man as well...give Kelley all of Horvath's FB reps if necessary...
                          Hey now, that's an idea, Fouts! To placate the pro-FB people, just cut Horvath and let Kelley be the "designated FB"...problem solved!

Comment

Working...
                          X