Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by X-man View Post
    Packers DC Dom Capers on Casey Hayward: "Casey's such a multipurpose guy for us. He's smart, he's instinctive. We've kind of had him all over the place. Had him outside, had him inside. It takes a lot of time to get ready to play inside in the slot. You've got to have a feel for splits, you're closer to the ball, so you normally have your hands on more balls. You've got to have good instincts to play in there and you've got to be able to blitz."

Versatile cornerback Casey Hayward will be spending the prime of his career with a new team after four seasons with the Green Bay Packers ...

Highlight video:
    http://dai.ly/x364n8m
    You normally have your hands on more balls.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

This is a good signing.

I wonder, as others have, if this precludes Mager or Flowers moving to Safety?
      -Someone, I know Quentin Jammer would agree with this move.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
        I wonder, as others have, if this precludes Mager or Flowers moving to Safety?
        I would think this signing would make one of them moving to safety more likely, not less.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
          I would think this signing would make one of them moving to safety more likely, not less.
          I meant "preludes"...meaning before.
          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
            I meant "preludes"...meaning before.
            I should have figured that out on my own - sorry

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

I think we will see depending on the draft. Adding Ramsey would make for a potentially very good pass defense.

I go back and forth though on Bosa or Ramsey. Bosa just sounds like a special player that could help our run defense and pass rush too.

If i had my pick id look at Nelson in FA as our safety and go Bosa. I think that helps our front 7 better and that helps put less pressure on the secondary to cover as long and to have to cheat for run support.

Comment

• Geezbolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Sun Valley, ID
                • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                Bosa just sounds like a special player that could help our run defense and pass rush too.
                The only player I would take ahead of Bosa at #3 is Tunsil if somehow he dropped into the Bolts' lap. I listened to Bosa's interview after his pro day last week and the kid seems like a natural for San Diego. He talks like a surfer and has the hair. He's from Fort Lauderdale so he may already be a beach kid.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                  Fluent in Sarcasm
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Iowa
                  • Man of the People
                  • Send PM

Heard that one of the reasons Hayward signed with SD is because he was told he'd get the chance to play outside. I'm guessing opposite Verrett in 2 CB sets, moving inside when Flowers comes on the field.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                    Charger Fan till the end
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Carolina
                    • Send PM

I heard Hayward on Sirius this morning when i was driving in and he seemed to really want the opportunity to start outside. In GB they had a few high draft picks that were being slated and he was on the outs as far as being a outside for a real chance. I think here with Flowers having an off year and with injuries he will definitely get an opportunity outside and likely play some due to Verrett and Flowers seeming to get dinged up. He might win it outright. Funny is he really didnt care about the weather...not a factor....nor potential LA move (he said he actually forgot about that)....kid just wants to play football and have a legit shot at CB.

I love that he's still very young and we didn't overpay him.....$5m/yr for a starter CB is nothing. He was a 2nd rounder too so we have some talent in the backfield for sure.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

ESPN grade on this signing:

Casey Hayward (Chargers): B+

Badly in need of help for the league's 27th-ranked pass defense by DVOA, the Chargers waited out the first few days of free agency and came away with a good deal in shoring up the weaker points of their secondary. In a league where teams are often using their five-defensive back Nickel set as their base defense, it makes more sense to pay a third cornerback starter money than it does to lock up an inside linebacker who nominally starts but can't move around in pass coverage.

With that in mind, it makes sense that San Diego cut Donald Butler and replaced him with Hayward, one of the league's best slot cornerbacks during his time in Green Bay, on a three-year deal worth $15.3 million with just $6.8 million guaranteed. That's a good price for a third cornerback and a great deal if they end up getting more out of the 26-year-old Vanderbilt product. It suggests that the league didn't think Hayward could be an everydown cornerback on the edge, but don't be surprised if the Chargers try the 5-foot-11 Hayward on the outside after Brandon Flowers eventually moves on. After all, they drafted 5-foot-10 Jason Verrett, who some teams thought would only end up being able to play in the slot, and developed him into a Pro Bowl cornerback on the outside.

Comment

• JDA21
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

don't know much about him but seems like he's a good young player and he did not break the bank

I like what we are doing so far in FA

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

It's not a bad signing, except for 3 things.

Watching our secondary play last year, there is still plenty of room for improvement, but the real issue is that we have to improve the pass rush. Our edge rushers got better down the stretch, but they still lack consistency, and their run defense lets teams out of a lot of situations that playing into the pass rushers hands. Teams know that if they keep running the ball, they will get an explosive plays. They did play better and maybe they are the guys who can be our edge rushers of the future. But they didn't do it so well that i would give them a pass and not bring in competition. Our inside rush just disappeared last year.

All FA signings are low percentage ones. Are we going to get the same player we paid for? Most FA signings are for the guy you wanted and then he isn't the same guy anymore.

The signing of a lot of FA admits our recent draft history/signing UDFA is not very good. We are doing this out of desperation.

Comment

Working...
                          X