2n-3rd tier FAs that might be worth signing for Bolts...

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-man
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

2n-3rd tier FAs that might be worth signing for Bolts...

LB Shea McClellin has already been mentioned before but here are a couple more....S Tony Jefferson (a RFA who was undrafted but plays the pass and run well...he was tendered a deal that makes any team who tries to sign him not risk losing any draft picks but the new team would have to make him too expensive for the cardinals to try and match), CB Brandon Boykins ( a young solid nickel CB,) LB Bruce Carter (he showed the ability to play the run and pass pretty well in Dallas' 3-4, but looked to get paid and did so while trying to continue to play solidly in TBs 4-3...he failed miserably and was recently cut. He might take a 1-2year prove it deal ala Patrick Robinson last year to re-establish himself,) TE Jermaine Gresham (an ok receiver, but very solid blocker who could really compliment Gates,) OT Kelvin Beachum (played a very solid LT for the Steelers before hurting his knee...and might be looking to take a 1 year prove it deal to show he's still got plenty left in his tank (ala what C Stefen Wesienewski did last offseason.)

Any other players that could potentially provide quality depth or start without breaking the bank for SD???
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

I heard we were interested in Casey Hayword.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
      Fluent in Sarcasm
      • Jun 2013
      • Iowa
      • Man of the People
      • Send PM

Would still like to bring Wisniewski in. I'm guessing by our interest in Hayward we don't think Robinson is coming back, I would be happy with either. Gresham would be a nice addition at TE.
      Last edited by Bearded14YourPleasure; 03-10-2016, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

With all the DL in this draft coming for cheap, I think I'd rather spend my more expensive free agent bucks on positions that are scarce in the draft.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
          Would still like to bring Wisniewski in. I'm guessing by our interest in Hayward we don't think Robinson is coming back, I would be happy with either. Gresham would be a nice addition at TE.
          I'd be very happy if we got Hayward and Gresham.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Bruce Carter and Beachum sound good. I do wonder about Tony Jefferson. I feel like were probably missing something. Why didn't he get a higher tender? How does Addae get a second round tender but not Jefferson? Do the Cards not have money? Why aren't teams lining up for him?

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
              Bruce Carter and Beachum sound good. I do wonder about Tony Jefferson. I feel like were probably missing something. Why didn't he get a higher tender? How does Addae get a second round tender but not Jefferson? Do the Cards not have money? Why aren't teams lining up for him?
              According to NFL reference, Jefferson is a part-time starter. I live in Arizona, am often forced to watch the Cardinals play, and I've never heard of Tony Jefferson. He's a safety, the least important part of a defense.

Why did Addae get a "tender"? Because Telesco is a terrible general manager.

There are, sometimes, superstar safeties who are worth spending a bunch of money on. And, in some cases, the only decent player on defense is a safety (Chargers the past few years). But, in general, the highest-paid players on defense should be linemen, linebackers, and corners.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2016, 06:20 AM.

Comment

• X-man
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I know Addae already knows Pagano's dee, but I'd take the money tendered to him and instead offer it to Jefferson. I agree with others that Addae seems so one-dimensional and doesn't always play as disciplined as he should and consequently gets himself or other teammates hurt. If he was more dominating a player, maybe his style of play would be more tolerable. A highlight video does not a player make, but from this one...Tony Jefferson seems to be decent against the run (tackling big boys like Kelce, Lacy, and others) while also offering something against the pass (something Addae does not.)

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

It's just a little odd that no team has signed him to an offer sheet, especially considering they wouldn't have to give up a draft pick. I doubt AZ would match, otherwise they would've spent the extra 900K or whatever for the higher tender.

Comment

Working...
                  X