Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    JH3 and Me
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
    DJ is not the problem.

The issue is being unable to stop the run when it matters. And they have not improved in that regard this year.

If you want to talk about overrated, start with Bosa. Maybe if he stays healthy the combo of him and Mack will end up paying off, but Mack is becoming a shell of what he used to be.

So I expect the defense to largely be similar to last year - not reliable.
    Missing 2/3 of our IDL and 1/2 of our Edge, coupled with inadequate ILBs were the 2022 story, all are stronger this year. We have improved there. Year of the Flip.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      JH3 and Me
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
      The nice thing about DJ is his versatility. He can play multiple positions for Staley... and I think Staley values that aspect.
      Like you guys, I'm a bit worried about the secondary. JT Woods is a big question mark, we haven't re-signed Callahan, and JCJ hasn't make a cut on his knee, yet.

I really liked the addition of Kendricks at LB. If K9 can't play up to his potential, he has Henley breathing down his neck.
      The DL injuries to AJ and Tito are another question mark. If we get those guys back (AJ, Tito, JCJ)... I think we'll be good.
      Drafting Tuli was a good move... must have depth @Edge.

I suspect we'll just try to out-score everyone. Then we'll try to create turnovers with an opportunistic defensive style... rush the passer and disguise coverages.
      Your diagnosis is spot on. Sign Callahan.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        I believe Derwin is vastly over-rated. His best skill at safety is rushing the passer. But as a run-stopper and in pass defense he's not that great.
        Wow, you just said what a lot of us have thought about saying...Derwin is very good when they let him loose to rush the passer as you say...and for every textbook tackles he makes, he also whiffs on a few...even in coverage, I've seen him get burned more at SS than I'd like to see...to tell the truth, if they're not going to use him for pass rushing that much, he's better off as a FS in the two-deep safety shell splitting the field with...uh, whoever we find to replace Adderley to play the other half...the few times the Bolts have used Derwin at FS, I've been impressed by his pre-snap recognition of where the play is going, and he makes some nice adjustments to close in on the ball...I'd like to at least use Derwin more at FS, especially with the loss of Adderley...

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
          I disagree with you guys, you have no respect for how hard it is to defend a Kelce or play modern NFL football. Start cutting Safeties that have been burned by Kelce and you won’t have one left in the league.

DJ is a premium plus player, you’re just mistaken and biased by broader disappointment.
          These two sentences contradict each other:

you have no respect for how hard it is to defend a Kelce

DJ is a premium plus player

Premium plus? If he's that special, and he is being paid like he is, don't you expect that player to make the play that wins the game for your team? That play in which Kelce burned DJ for a TD was a game decider for the Chiefs. Why make DJ the highest paid safety in the league if he can't stop Kelce from scoring at will? IMO, DJ is more hype than anything else. What is it about DJ's game that you feel makes him a premium plus player? He completely disappeared in the 2nd half the Jax playoff loss. A premium plus safety does not allow an opponent to come back from a 27 pt deficit and win the game. I'd love for DJ to prove me ass-wrong this season. I really would. But what I see from DJ so far is a great deal of hype and a failure to play up to that hype.

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Missing 2/3 of our IDL and 1/2 of our Edge, coupled with inadequate ILBs were the 2022 story, all are stronger this year. We have improved there. Year of the Flip.
            We were still getting gashed even when briefly healthy early on last year.

How did we get stronger? It's basically the same group, just older now. That includes Hendricks.
            ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• AK47
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

So your sayin' were gonna go from this 2022 defense

to this 2023 defense?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxx3Pg4Fo5AJfEHrkOW3powRa7UM-fNgPzka0O-Z0Xun_pClT8OunUMbXF9Mn54O1NzfE&usqp=CAU.jpg

Give me some Kool aid!!!!!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

Totally agree that defending Kelce is pretty much a non thing( has anyone ever covered that dude?!)
                It's the other TE's in the league( as well slot receivers and backs) that DJ hasn't been covering lately.
                That's why I'm suggesting allowing him to be our safety valve in 2023- no specific assignment( read one on one) just guarding our end zone. I think the guy would thrive in that role. Give DJ the responsibility as the last line of defense, the last man standing, that kind of mentality. He'd eat that s**t up.
                Why is it being accepted at face value here that Derwin cannot cover Kelce?

The stats say that Kelce does significantly worse against the Chargers since Derwin has been in the league.
                One bad game & people are ready to throw him under the bus.
                We talked about the play where Derwin had (for some mystifying reason) outside leverage on Kelce.
                If Derwin is not a game changer, start considering the notion that his defensive coordinator is a bum.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

How did we get stronger? It's basically the same group, just older now. That includes Hendricks.
                  The reasoning behind it (or desperate hope) is that it takes defensive players 3 years to figure out what Staley wants them to do.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    JH3 and Me
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

We are stronger by not having 2/3 of IDL and 1/2 of Edge on IR, signing Kendricks, and drafting Tuli, Henley and Matlock. Plus JCJ return. That is a lot of plus factor to the equation, it’s literally more than half of a defense. the better question is how can you possibly say they are the same, given all of these facts?

and you’re still not accounting for the celestial designation for 2023 as the Year of the Flip

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      JH3 and Me
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Why is it being accepted at face value here that Derwin cannot cover Kelce?

The stats say that Kelce does significantly worse against the Chargers since Derwin has been in the league.
                      One bad game & people are ready to throw him under the bus.
                      We talked about the play where Derwin had (for some mystifying reason) outside leverage on Kelce.
                      If Derwin is not a game changer, start considering the notion that his defensive coordinator is a bum.
                      Exactly, thank you. They forget the game the year before where Derwin completely blanketed and shut down Kelce for majority of game. DJ got hurt, and Kelce gashed us for a 50 yard game winning TD.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

I also believe that's been his biggest hindrance the past 2 years. Dude is all over the place because we've not had enough play makers on D. I think we have them now( and not a deep safety)
                        Let DJ be the best Free Safety in the NFL.
                        Derwin is certainly capable of playing FS. But if we're going to play single-high (I think that's what you're getting at with "deep safety")... then JT Woods is probably the plan.
                        I see Derwin playing slot or LB before he plays FS. He would be a good player to put out on the bunch formation. Let him fight through a WR block to blow up the bubble screen.

The 4-by-1 formation was a real problem for defenses last year. It forces you to take a man out of the box... or leave a WR uncovered. Many times it required a LB to move outside and into coverage. Teams would feel a lot better if that "LB" had a DB's coverage skills but a LB's physicality.

Now, I don't think Derwin has a LB's physicality. But he may be one of the most physical DB's in the league. He's the guy I want defeating the WR blocking for the WR screen. And if it's not a screen, he'd definitely provide better coverage than a real LB.

We know Staley likes to play split safeties. It seems that in 4-by-1 formations, you could slide Derwin down to the bunch and rotate JT Woods to the single-high FS position. I think Woods' skillset is better for that role anyways.
                        OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Exactly, thank you. They forget the game the year before where Derwin completely blanketed and shut down Kelce for majority of game. DJ got hurt, and Kelce gashed us for a 50 yard game winning TD.
                          Even in Week 2 of 2022, Kelce only had 5 receptions for 50 yards.
                          And everyone forgets that Kelce is often wide open on many of his catches.
                          That's more scheme/formation than anything. Understand that KC is overloading formations to one side of the field. Those are hard matchups... and often a receiver shakes free when the defense is out-numbered or a defensive player misses their assignment.

Teams will need to come up with an answer to the offensive overloads. Maybe a switch back to the single-high safety...?
                          OLineCentric

Comment

Working...
                          X