• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

2023 Defense: Defensive Backs

Hadn’t seen a “Defense” post in awhile. Thought I’d refresh the forum.

Joey Bosa. After a sizable extension, he really needs to step it up this year with regards to his play, or lack thereof, Kahill Mack (great professionalism) seems to have had no positive affect on Bosa and his bull headed-ness at times. Didn’t Staley bench him (game was over anyways) after another steroid like fueled penalty? Injury aside, the guy needs to compensate, Kahill Mack’s professionalism hasn’t rubbed off on Bosa, so far. Get the two happening!

---
    Moderator note... discussion was mostly on Defensive Backs, mainly Derwin James.
    Last edited by Caslon; 05-13-2023, 03:24 AM.
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Just maybe because the topic is a bit general, if it goes in a certain direction, I may re-title it.

Comment

• Geezbolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Sun Valley, ID
      • Send PM

IMO, the biggest question on defense is the Safety position. The Bolts have one of the best in DJ, but the other Safety is a question mark. Ideally, JT Woods would step up, but he was pretty raw last season. We know he's a ball hawk, but that's only part of it. My concern is his ability, or even his desire to stick his nose in there and make hits.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
        The Bolts have one of the best in DJ, but the other Safety is a question mark.
        I believe Derwin is vastly over-rated. His best skill at safety is rushing the passer. But as a run-stopper and in pass defense he's not that great.

Comment

• WindsorUK
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Windsor, U.K.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          I believe Derwin is vastly over-rated. His best skill at safety is rushing the passer. But as a run-stopper and in pass defense he's not that great.
          I'm in agreement with you on this one Velo.
          Derwin, whilst still making the occasional highlight reel, is consistently a non factor.
          I'm almost inclined to have him as our single high this year, keep him in one mindset, allow him to go sideline to sideline helping MD and JC.
          If Henley proves to be what we hope he is, I can see him getting a number of reps that DJ had had last year( i.e. close to the line)
          NO WAY Woods starts on an NFL team anywhere in the near future.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
            Derwin, whilst still making the occasional highlight reel, is consistently a non factor.
            This is what I mean about DJ. He was a total non-factor in the playoff meltdown at Jax. A truly elite player at safety doesn't allow that to happen. He also got totally punked by Kelce for a TD late in the 2nd half of the 2nd KC game, which gave the Chiefs the victory. If I were the Spanoses, I would wonder why I'm paying him all that money.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              This is what I mean about DJ. He was a total non-factor in the playoff meltdown at Jax. A truly elite player at safety doesn't allow that to happen. He also got totally punked by Kelce for a TD late in the 2nd half of the 2nd KC game, which gave the Chiefs the victory. If I were the Spanoses, I would wonder why I'm paying him all that money.
              I disagree with you guys, you have no respect for how hard it is to defend a Kelce or play modern NFL football. Start cutting Safeties that have been burned by Kelce and you won’t have one left in the league.

DJ is a premium plus player, you’re just mistaken and biased by broader disappointment.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I disagree with you guys, you have no respect for how hard it is to defend a Kelce or play modern NFL football. Start cutting Safeties that have been burned by Kelce and you won’t have one left in the league.

DJ is a premium plus player, you’re just mistaken and biased by broader disappointment.
                New coordinator plus new players on defense should improve this perception. Can't blame the entire second half of the playoff game on James...
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• WindsorUK
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Windsor, U.K.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Totally agree that defending Kelce is pretty much a non thing( has anyone ever covered that dude?!)
                  It's the other TE's in the league( as well slot receivers and backs) that DJ hasn't been covering lately.
                  That's why I'm suggesting allowing him to be our safety valve in 2023- no specific assignment( read one on one) just guarding our end zone. I think the guy would thrive in that role. Give DJ the responsibility as the last line of defense, the last man standing, that kind of mentality. He'd eat that s**t up.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

The nice thing about DJ is his versatility. He can play multiple positions for Staley... and I think Staley values that aspect.
                    Like you guys, I'm a bit worried about the secondary. JT Woods is a big question mark, we haven't re-signed Callahan, and JCJ hasn't make a cut on his knee, yet.

I really liked the addition of Kendricks at LB. If K9 can't play up to his potential, he has Henley breathing down his neck.
                    The DL injuries to AJ and Tito are another question mark. If we get those guys back (AJ, Tito, JCJ)... I think we'll be good.
                    Drafting Tuli was a good move... must have depth @Edge.

I suspect we'll just try to out-score everyone. Then we'll try to create turnovers with an opportunistic defensive style... rush the passer and disguise coverages.
                    OLineCentric

Comment

• WindsorUK
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Windsor, U.K.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                      The nice thing about DJ is his versatility. He can play multiple positions for Staley... and I think Staley values that aspect.
                      Like you guys, I'm a bit worried about the secondary. JT Woods is a big question mark, we haven't re-signed Callahan, and JCJ hasn't make a cut on his knee, yet.

I really liked the addition of Kendricks at LB. If K9 can't play up to his potential, he has Henley breathing down his neck.
                      The DL injuries to AJ and Tito are another question mark. If we get those guys back (AJ, Tito, JCJ)... I think we'll be good.
                      Drafting Tuli was a good move... must have depth @Edge.

I suspect we'll just try to out-score everyone. Then we'll try to create turnovers with an opportunistic defensive style... rush the passer and disguise coverages.
                      I also believe that's been his biggest hindrance the past 2 years. Dude is all over the place because we've not had enough play makers on D. I think we have them now( and not a deep safety)
                      Let DJ be the best Free Safety in the NFL.

Comment

• Boltx
                        Dominate the day
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

DJ is not the problem.

The issue is being unable to stop the run when it matters. And they have not improved in that regard this year.

If you want to talk about overrated, start with Bosa. Maybe if he stays healthy the combo of him and Mack will end up paying off, but Mack is becoming a shell of what he used to be.

So I expect the defense to largely be similar to last year - not reliable.
                        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

Working...
                        X