Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Trade for the #3 pick overall

I know we never would, but I keep thinking I am not totally sold on the prospects available, at least as the 3rd pick. I would rather trade down at this point, but don't see a lot of teams willing to do it.

Soooooo....

What about trading the 3rd pick overall for Mack and Thomas from Cleveland. That is basically two OL, one still playing at a very high level (Thomas) and Mack playing reasonably well, but are 31 and 30 respectively. It would fill 2 major holes, and Thomas has not missed a game. Cleveland might go for it, just because they are in the middle or a rebuilding effort and need all the picks they can get.

Latest on OLB Joe Thomas including news, stats, videos, highlights and more on NFL.com

Latest on C Alex Mack including news, stats, videos, highlights and more on NFL.com

Find all the latest ProFootballTalk news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

Discuss!
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

No, not for two players over 30. I'd rather they get some picks if they trade down. Problem is nobody is desperate.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Wow, that'd be something. I'd be for it, immediate OL help and no worries about a top pick underperforming.

Comment

• bonehead
        Undrafted
        • Jul 2013
        • TBD
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
        No, not for two players over 30. I'd rather they get some picks if they trade down. Problem is nobody is desperate.
        Yeah I agree but I like Steves idea of moving down, I'm also not sold on the top prospects

At this point we need Wentz , Lynch and Goff to exceed all expectations and drive their stock through the roof....so far I hear the top QB picks will do the throwing drills at the combine.

Would love to see the Niners , Rams or Eagles reach for one of these guys ....... I know it's just wishful thinking but hey you gotta have a dream
        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
          it would have to be for 2 players, one is definitely not worth it. In fact, given the value of a top 5 pick, there are not many players in the entire NFL worth a #3 pick.

I get what you are saying, it just fixes a major need in one fell swoop, and there is just not the top end pool of prospects. I like the potential of the top guys, just wish they had a better combination of sustained production and work ethic to back it up.

I don't think it is unreasonable to think one or more of those teams will jump at the QB. The fact that neither is a Mariotta or Winston type of prospect is more then offset by how desperate they are as franchises. I might take out SF from the list, since I think Kelly may feel he can rehab Kapernick.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • SoDak
            • Technology Director
            • Send PM

Anytime you have a pick in the top 10, and you aren't certain you can get what you need there... I always favor moving down a bit.

Move down and pick up a 2nd or 3rd? (depending on the drop?)... i'm for that.

It's all a crapshoot. Let's get some more picks in the earlier rounds, and build some depth up front.
            "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

This is the kinda stuff I'm talking about:

North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz has potential similar to that of Indianapolis Colts star Andrew Luck, according to NFL Media draft expert Mike Mayock.

But not this:

The Browns need to jump-start their franchise. The Chargers might need to groom Philip Rivers' replacement. Each team is projected to take a QB in the first round of Chad Reuter's four-round mock draft.

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• CTrout
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

You do realize were the Chargers? If they'd do such a trade.....

The top 5 picks in this draft go on to all win SB MVP's and all go in as first ballot HOF's.

Comment

• bonehead
                  Undrafted
                  • Jul 2013
                  • TBD
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
                  You do realize were the Chargers? If they'd do such a trade.....

The top 5 picks in this draft go on to all win SB MVP's and all go in as first ballot HOF's.
                  and our pick would be on IR after the second preseason game

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Boltergeist
                    Pesky apparition
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Baja Oklahoma
                    • Send PM

I think our best hope is to have Telesco employ the George Castanza opposite strategy.

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

30 Million for Thomas and 8 Million for a center on a 1 year contract. Hes most likely going to opt out and would be cheaper on the free agent market. He cant be traded if he can simply opt out of his contract. And i really like the ceiling on a few players. Tunsil, Bosa and Ramsey if he plays CB are all picks i really like. They are not perfect but are really good prospects imo. I think Bosa can play either 34OLB or 34DE/43DE. I think he will be a disruptive force in the NFL. And will need to be double teamed eventually. Ramsey can be a true shutdown corner eventhough hes being discussed as a FS. I think he takes away a teams best WR. And Verrett can take away the other guy. We like to talk about Denvers pass rush.....but they had 3 stud CBs. Coverage sacks were plenty in Denver.

All 3 of these guys are really young. Bosa 20 and Tunsil/Ramsey 21. Most prospects come out when they are 22/23. If they take a couple years to develop....they are still really young and the same age as many prospects coming out in the draft 2 years after they are drafted.

Lots of room for maturity and length of career/value.

Id pass on trading #3 for those 2 aging expensive vets on short contracts. Trading back im open to for sure.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

It important to build the long term core of the team. I would only trade for a player under 27. You will not get more than 4 years out of a 30 year old oline player. You could get 10 years from the 3rd pick. I would trade down for draft picks as we need alot of bodies for depth. I see some good players in round 3-5 that can help this team.
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                        X