NFL in Mexico- the next frontier for expansion?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

NFL in Mexico- the next frontier for expansion?

Goodell announced a November 21, 2016 MNF game with Raiders hosting Texans in Mexico City. They last played a game there in 2005 and had the largest crowd ever in NFL history. Carlos Slim is 1 of the richest people I the world; I wonder if he'd want to own an NFL team? There's supposedly a huge potential fan base south of the border and that may be 1 reason the NFL really wants the Chargers to stay in San Diego as the gateway South to cultivate the Mexico market. Could also be an option for selling/moving the Raiders if they can't stay in Oakland...

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

The Oakland Raiders will host the Houston Texans at Estadio Azteca in Mexico City on Monday night, November 21. The game will be televised live on ESPN in the United States and on Televisa and ESPN in Mexico, marking the first-ever Monday Night Football game to be played outside the US.

"Expanding our International Series of regular-season games to Mexico marks an important step in our continued international growth," said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. "We have a tremendous, passionate fan base in Mexico and we know the atmosphere on game day will be outstanding."

The NFL played its first international regular-season game on October 2, 2005 when a crowd of 103,467 saw the Arizona Cardinals defeat the San Francisco 49ers 31-14 in Mexico City.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:
  • Faded blues
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2013
    • Send PM

the aur quality in mexico city is horrible and the city is arkund 7000 ft elevation

have fun

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

They should make Mexico City the new home for the Raiders. That will solve their stadium situation, and piss off all the US based raider fans.

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

No player would want to live in Mexico City or London.

The only foreign city I could see is possibly Toronto.

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Que?
          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

Goodell wants the Raiders in SD to draw from Mexico, and the failed rebranded Spanoses in London because the pussy always does what he's told.
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Mexico City Raiders just seems right to me.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                Mexico City Raiders just seems right to me.
                they could build a stadium out of old garage doors in TJ.
                sigpic

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                  Goodell wants the Raiders in SD to draw from Mexico, and the failed rebranded Spanoses in London because the pussy always does what he's told.
                  I dunno. Spanos always says he doesn't want to sell, but Davis has already sold a % and supposedly was being pressured last year to sell the whole thing to someone with more $. If Spanos makes a deal to stay in SD, Raiders go to LA and have built-in fan base there. SD & Tijuana have "sister city" accords- though mostly ceremonial and there are Mexican fans of Los Cargadores already. There's recently been a modern new stadium (soccer or baseball- don't remember) built in TJ that people held up as an example how to do it on a limited budget. I don't think Spanos can put the Genie back in the bottle on not selling an interest in the team after negotiations with AEG included that and also the public offer for Iger to buy a piece of either the Chargers or Raiders in the dump on the dump stadium venture. Not saying it's gonna happen, but it seems to me like selling maybe 20% to Carlos Slim or another rich Mexican that could be applied directly to the new stadium in SD could be an attractive option to seal a deal without the Spanos family extending themselves more than their debt comfort level as well as bringing more fans from south of the border. Talk about your mega-mega market then...
                  Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Yeah, the Xolos stadium is built on the old Agua Caliente site, and is expandable. Of course labor costs are much lower there.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                      Yeah, the Xolos stadium is built on the old Agua Caliente site, and is expandable. Of course labor costs are much lower there.
                      Those same laborers and their Cousins are building Spanos properties up here.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

Carlos Slim is an interesting story. Richest man in the world, and doesn't use a computer. All his ledgers are still hand written notes.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X