• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

In todays NFL, I would NEVER draft a RB in rounds 1 or 2. OL,DL, Edge or QB only. Where was EK drafted? Round 1?, 2?
    Top 5, maybe top 10. For sure its Edge, QB and OT.

I am not trading up for Bijan - but at 21 - I think I would be okay with it. I still prefer Edge at 21 over Bijan since WR seems more value in R2

Comment

• charger1_sj
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

In todays NFL, I would NEVER draft a RB in rounds 1 or 2. OL,DL, Edge or QB only. Where was EK drafted? Round 1?, 2?
      Undrafted FA.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2022
        • White Rock, BC Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Truth. AJ Smith once said going into camp that he knew 47 of the 53 roster spots were taken. And you can tell - traded up for Hester one year, traded a whole lot for Weddle (that one worked - granted the pick 8 picks earlier for buster didn't), drafted guys like Waters the LB and Mouton the LB and Crompton the QB who couldn't hit the broad side of the barn

But Telesco still needs to keep trying to get the RB room
        Totally right guys. AJ was killing it and then went off the rails. Jacob Hester and Craig Davis and downhill from there

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          JH3 and Me
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

I don't want to give up the draft capital it would take to move up from #21 to #10 as you advocated. I don't think that happens. Now if Bijan falls to say the 16th or 17th spot or below the game changes.
          OK, you hold on to your draft capital, TT can use LAC’s draft capital and go get us LT 2.0!
          Ok ok, seriously - i don’t think he goes Top 10 based on the teams that are picking. Trading up around 14-17 is a wise investment imo, i know most strongly disagree.

But cmon - he is LT 2.0, says so right there!
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            JH3 and Me
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Truth. AJ Smith once said going into camp that he knew 47 of the 53 roster spots were taken. And you can tell - traded up for Hester one year, traded a whole lot for Weddle (that one worked - granted the pick 8 picks earlier for buster didn't), drafted guys like Waters the LB and Mouton the LB and Crompton the QB who couldn't hit the broad side of the barn

But Telesco still needs to keep trying to get the RB room
            Exactly - The beginning of the end of Lord of No Rings. He went from “Line em up 3 deep and let ‘em compete” to “my roster is too good for any rookie to even make the squad”. Face plant ensued …
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

OK, you hold on to your draft capital, TT can use LAC’s draft capital and go get us LT 2.0!
              Ok ok, seriously - i don’t think he goes Top 10 based on the teams that are picking. Trading up around 14-17 is a wise investment imo, i know most strongly disagree.

But cmon - he is LT 2.0, says so right there!
              After our starters this team is an empty shelf. We need so much and have no cap room that this particular draft is very important to critical if we're going
              to compete for a championship with Herbert at the helm. So I respectfully disagree. If the draft is as deep as some believe we are better off trading
              down and getting more draft picks rather than the opposite. Now with that said if Bijan is as good as you say and he isn't taken by lets for arguments
              sake say @16 then he may be worth giving up what it would take to get him. But moving to #10 from #21 is a no go.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

After our starters this team is an empty shelf. We need so much and have no cap room that this particular draft is very important to critical if we're going
                to compete for a championship with Herbert at the helm. So I respectfully disagree. If the draft is as deep as some believe we are better off trading
                down and getting more draft picks rather than the opposite. Now with that said if Bijan is as good as you say and he isn't taken by lets for arguments
                sake say @16 then he may be worth giving up what it would take to get him. But moving to #10 from #21 is a no go.
                With Herbert coming due - from a roster building and cap perspective - having two picks in R2 and two picks in R3 is better than using a 3rd or 4th to move up for Bijan

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

We were loaded at the time and the running game was a very important part of the offense. Fast forward, it's now a passing league WRs are coveted RBs are not.
                  I can see picking up a RB from the UDFA market even if we draft one. But there no chance we are drafting 2RB whether we lose Ekeler or not.

AJ had 2 years where he absolutely killed it. Then he got cocky, tried to outsmart the league and his drafts went down the tube.
                  I think this is bullshit! We still run the ball at least 40% of the time and if you have the luxury of a monster RB there might be times where it's 50% of the time. Might as well move up to draft Richardson who is a passing Running Back. LOL!
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I’d rather keep Ekeler for one more year and draft 1 RB and address depth at other positions.
                    Seems like ekeler will be back and that he’ll play out his contract, it’s not the sexiest outcome for the anti-ekeler crowd but it’s the most likely scenario…as for drafting another RB, I’d like charbonet but I don’t think he’ll be there in the third and the chargers need to address more imprortant concerns than RB in the first two rounds, primarily edge and then after that I’m split between TE, WR, and OL…

can we please take a one year break from drafting RBs? Dernest johnson is still out there, there are other viable veteran guys available for cheap and with kelley, ekeler, and a 1 year flyer coming off the books in 2024 offseason, the 2024 draft is the right time to go RB in the second round next year…
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

"Anti-Ekeler."
                      Sure.

I prefer a more accurate label.
                      Fan with "High Football IQ."
                      Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        "Anti-Ekeler."
                        Sure.

I prefer a more accurate label.
                        Fan with "High Football IQ."
                        I have no idea if I am anti-Ekeler - I just think for 6.25m of cap space - they could make a more well rounded team for this year. Odds are, if the offense gets to where the offense needs to go - Ekeler will not have nearly the output he had this past year. But the team will be better, will score more points, be more dynamic.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

I have no idea if I am anti-Ekeler - I just think for 6.25m of cap space - they could make a more well rounded team for this year. Odds are, if the offense gets to where the offense needs to go - Ekeler will not have nearly the output he had this past year. But the team will be better, will score more points, be more dynamic.
                          I just am not getting how getting rid of your best non-QB skill player makes the team better, more dynamic or scoring more points for that $6 million - especially when some of that money or a draft pick will have to be spent replacing him. $6 million is one mid-level veteran or a couple of depth vets and that won't move the needle.

Comment

Working...
                          X