• Show
Clear All
  • CanadianBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2022
    • White Rock, BC Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

So for Ekeler to have value that you want to pay him - that means he needs the ball in his hands like the numbers you represent above
    who are you taking touches away from?
    Allen
    Williams
    Spiller at RB or maybe Bijan at RB

So in essence - you want to give a raise for past performance though for the chargers to succeed, his numbers will drop in the future
    Not to mention neutering the best armed QB in the NFL. We need less dump offs to RB, not more

How about we bring in a hammer that can run for tough yards in playoff games and throw the ball downfield to receivers?

Comment

• Budsman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Somethings I forgot to mention in this post is that with 267 less touches Austin has a full seasons worth of touches less on his career, that’s a lot of wear and tear he hasn’t accumulated on his body compared to CMC…also he didn’t become the full time starter until 2020 so he has 3 seasons as the starter compared to CMCs 6 years as a starter…

Since Ekeler became the starter in 2020, this is how the two compare in production

Austin 526 carries 2,356 yards 26 tds 231 receptions 1,772 yards 15 tds Total touches 757 (career games missed to injury 6)

CMC 402 carries 1,806 yards 14 tds 139 receptions 1,372 yards 7 tds Toal touches 514 (career games missed to injury 29)

it should be noted that CMC had basically shut himself down in Carolina of his 514 touches since the 2020 season 211 came in ten games in SF last year! That’s 41% of his production over three seasons came in one 10 game stretch…Amazing how much motivation comes from getting 27 million bucks up front from the niners!

none of this is meant to take anything away from CMC, if anything I did this to show people here how much they’ve under appreciated Ekeler compared to a popular more well known guy like CMC…I know a lot of people here wanted the chargers to trade for CMC last season, so why would you guys be okay paying CMC over 12 per year but not Austin? look at what CMC is making and has made, can you honestly make the claim that he’s been worth that extra 70 million dollars he’s made over ekeler since 2017? Austin has been more dependable and durable and has suffered less injuries and he’s exactly a year older but has three less years of starts and 267 less touches since they both entered the NFL…I could make the argument that Austin has also played on inferior teams with less talent as well and yet his production has held up, his durability has held up, it’s time to stop holding up his compensation, vote for ekeler to get paid!
      Look we all know numbers do lie . But besides the point, I never wanted CMC, but he is better than Ekeler WHEN HEALTHY because he can do it all. He can run between the tackles and he can run outside. Ekeler can’t run between the tackles consistently enough. That all being said I don’t want CMC or Ekeler for a Herbert led offense. I want a back that can stay healthy (mostly, it’s a rough sport) and provide for multiple threats. If we are up 27-0 I want our coaches to be confident that we can get some first downs running it up the gut. Ekeler can’t do that. When it’s third or fourth and inches I want a back that we can turn to vs risking our QB on sneaks.

Ekeler is a an all time great 3rd down back, he is not to be paid like a 3 down back. There is a big difference and if he demands that money then you get what you can for him and take advantage of the nfl devaluating great RB talent and take Bijan at 21 and pair him with Herbert for half a decade on the cheap.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2022
        • White Rock, BC Canada
        • Send PM

And how good was the offense with Ek scoring those 38 touchdowns?

How many playoff wins?
        Exaclty

How many playoff games have we won with this rushing attack, 27th in 2021 and 30th in 2022?

Of course Ekler has been productive in TDS and catches, but there are other ways to approach the run game. Lets not act like the current set up has been getting the job done in playoff success. Super Bowl champions like the Chiefs lose good players, make adjustments and still succeed. What they dont do it let one player hold out and ruin their slary cap stucture and plans

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Exaclty

How many playoff games have we won with this rushing attack, 27th in 2021 and 30th in 2022?

Of course Ekler has been productive in TDS and catches, but there are other ways to approach the run game. Lets not act like the current set up has been getting the job done in playoff success. Super Bowl champions like the Chiefs lose good players, make adjustments and still succeed. What they dont do it let one player hold out and ruin their slary cap stucture and plans
          There are three options with Ekeler
          1) extend him
          2) hope he shows up but this will still be "lingering" and he holds in but that really didn't work for Gordon did it or the team
          3) trade him now for picks and get cap space

I like option 3 - get a couple picks. Maybe you can do a pick swap and move up a round - -something like Ekeler and a 4 for a 2/6
          maybe its a straight 3/6
          sign JJ3 on defense with the cap space - and move forward

Comment

• Caslon
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

Stupid to the tune of 38 touchdowns in two seasons is the right kind of stupid IMO, I’m tired of the Spanos trying so hard to be smart, give me some more stupid like that, LOL!
            All of which underscores my saying that he manned up for the role he was put into. A role that still had the Chargers as one of the lousiest running teams in the NFL for the past 3 years. You’re saying he put up prototypical stats of a true cowbell RB? He didn’t, despite his admirable 38 TD’s. His was a role he was put into that never should have been in the first place. The Chargers will now move forward from that gaffe. Situation normal.

if you want to defend the Chargers successfully and properly utilizing Ekeler, guess how many teams will seek him as their every down bruising back? None.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

To me ekeler is the most dangerous and productive back we’ve had since LT…and I love watching him slash around and make people miss and all that type of shit, he’s fun and exciting to watch, the guy is a highlight reel and we hadn’t had that since ladanian…if they move him I’m going to be sad as fuck, he’s a special player and a special person on this team…and it would also be a bummer that finally the chargers are assembling a good O-line and he might not have the chance to show what he can do behind a decent line…players that have a nose for the endzone are don’t grow on trees, marcus allen, LT, emmitt smith, you knew they were going to find a way to get in, ekeler is not a HOF guy but he has that same mindset and when we are down in the redzone I always feel really good about our chances of getting in if ekeler is on the field…but maybe you guys are right, maybe theirs a better guy around the corner

BTW, there have been some comments about ekeler not being the kind of back that can close out games, but there have been a few games where the chargers mantained possession and ran the clock out behind ekeler’s running, the 2021 home win against the raiders and the 2021 away win vs the eagles come to mind but there have been others…closing out a games is about a lot more than one player, coaching decisions, play calling, and execution from all 11 guys on offense…

It is what it is, if they deal him, they deal him, nothing to be done and no amount of posting will change anything…I do root for him to get one last signing bonus, hopefully it’s with us…and one last thing, there’s been zero mention of him wanting to hold out or anything like that so I’m not sure why folks feel they need to ‘fear monger’ the forum like that…

"The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2022
                • White Rock, BC Canada
                • Send PM

To me ekeler is the most dangerous and productive back we’ve had since LT…and I love watching him slash around and make people miss and all that type of shit, he’s fun and exciting to watch, the guy is a highlight reel and we hadn’t had that since ladanian…if they move him I’m going to be sad as fuck, he’s a special player and a special person on this team…and it would also be a bummer that finally the chargers are assembling a good O-line and he might not have the chance to show what he can do behind a decent line…players that have a nose for the endzone are don’t grow on trees, marcus allen, LT, emmitt smith, you knew they were going to find a way to get in, ekeler is not a HOF guy but he has that same mindset and when we are down in the redzone I always feel really good about our chances of getting in if ekeler is on the field…but maybe you guys are right, maybe theirs a better guy around the corner

BTW, there have been some comments about ekeler not being the kind of back that can close out games, but there have been a few games where the chargers mantained possession and ran the clock out behind ekeler’s running, the 2021 home win against the raiders and the 2021 away win vs the eagles come to mind but there have been others…closing out a games is about a lot more than one player, coaching decisions, play calling, and execution from all 11 guys on offense…

It is what it is, if they deal him, they deal him, nothing to be done and no amount of posting will change anything…I do root for him to get one last signing bonus, hopefully it’s with us…and one last thing, there’s been zero mention of him wanting to hold out or anything like that so I’m not sure why folks feel they need to ‘fear monger’ the forum like that…
                It kind of seems like Ekler and his Agent skipped the hold out threat option and went right to the nuclear option, requesting a trade. Isnt a hold out, or hold in, a la Derwin, the more team friendly option? Usually demanding a trade is the last resort.

Doesnt seem like this is in a good place.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

All of which underscores my saying that he manned up for the role he was put into. A role that still had the Chargers as one of the lousiest running teams in the NFL for the past 3 years. You’re saying he put up prototypical stats of a true cowbell RB? He didn’t, despite his admirable 38 TD’s. His was a role he was put into that never should have been in the first place. The Chargers will now move forward from that gaffe. Situation normal.
                  His “role” didn’t score all those tds, AUSTIN did…true cowbell? They use whistles and horns in the NFL and the league doesn’t really have “bell cow” backs anymore, even tennessee is getting away from that now that their “bell cow” got old…
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

It kind of seems like Ekler and his Agent skipped the hold out threat option and went right to the nuclear option, requesting a trade. Isnt a hold out, or hold in, a la Derwin, the more team friendly option? Usually demanding a trade is the last resort.

Doesnt seem like this is in a good place.
                    The Jets seem to be signing both Allen Lazard and Randal Cobb for A-A-Ron. Garrett Wilson is a legit WR. I wonder if this makes Elijah Moore a trade option

I have no idea who the back up RB for the Jets is - but what about Moore for Ekeler?

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

if you want to defend the Chargers successfully and properly utilizing Ekeler, guess how many teams will seek him as their every down bruising back? None.
                      Out of 32 teams there are exactly one handful of cowbell RBs in the NFL. They are a dying breed. Most teams are going with a combo of 2 who share the load.
                      This is exactly what Eck wants. Our running situation has been bad like forever, ever since LT left. Last year we didn't have any weapons because they all got
                      hurt. Our only option was Eck. Those dump offs were a function of no options for Herbert. And when your RBs get hit behind the LOS the problem isn't the RBs.
                      Pay the man, he deserves it, and get him some help.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

The Jets seem to be signing both Allen Lazard and Randal Cobb for A-A-Ron. Garrett Wilson is a legit WR. I wonder if this makes Elijah Moore a trade option

I have no idea who the back up RB for the Jets is - but what about Moore for Ekeler?
                        Interesting

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Interesting
                          I doubt it happens as he will probably go to Green Bay since the Jets are getting Lazard and it was a total spitball idea.
                          But the guy is fast and on a cheap deal

Comment

Working...
                          X