• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

At least try to be (somewhat) reasonable . . . . . . . . . . . . if their 3RD STRING QB didn't get hurt early in the game they would have had a good chance to win. Pick another team with a strong D that didn't do well - SF is a poor example to use to make your point . . . . . .
    That's exactly the point. Shit happens. Injuries and poor depth are no excuse, or so I'm told.
    KC went farther with a much weaker D.
    A top O can carry a team. D, nope, or at least this SF unit could not.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

The Chargers defense in 95' SuperBowl ?
      Smith & Rice ate us alive. We had no hope.
      I'd like to be that dominant on O. This year. We may not have Jerry Rice but our rec group sure look special.
      QB and OC? 'nuff talk. Let's hit the field.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        JH3 and Me
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

At least try to be (somewhat) reasonable . . . . . . . . . . . . if their 3RD STRING QB didn't get hurt early in the game they would have had a good chance to win. Pick another team with a strong D that didn't do well - SF is a poor example to use to make your point . . . . . .
        The example fits better than OJ’s glove. Who you dismiss as their 3rd string QB was actually better than their opening day starter who has sucked every time the league has seen him and who’s 2022 contribution to the team was 194 yards, 1 INT, and a 55 rating. It’s possible he is also better than #2 Garoppolo, Mr “3rd String”, as you dismiss him, is the guy that took them to the playoffs.

They were competitive in the PO game until they lost him and then immediately lost their OFFENSE. It was not just obviously over at that point but over in a painful horrific slow death way that only a final whistle could mercifully end. The entire football world watched that game flip on a dime into a slow-motion grisly train wreck with 49er limbs torn from bodies, faces peeled from skulls, and SF blood spurting all the way to the upper decks of the stadium. They were THAT BAD when they had the #1 defense and suddenly no offense.

Offense is the Key. That was the point, SF playoff game proved it emphatically imo. They still had their #1 defense, after all.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          JH3 and Me
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Smith & Rice ate us alive. We had no hope.
          I'd like to be that dominant on O. This year. We may not have Jerry Rice but our rec group sure look special.
          QB and OC? 'nuff talk. Let's hit the field.
          It was a massacre. I have always said that Charger team was not that good. They were Thomas the train overachievers, the pinnacle of Bobby Ross’ career, which he never repeated anywhere.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

That's exactly the point. Shit happens. Injuries and poor depth are no excuse, or so I'm told.
            KC went farther with a much weaker D.
            A top O can carry a team. D, nope, or at least this SF unit could not.
            Nah, what happened to SF in the NFCCG was extreme. They had no qb. It made them completely one dimensional.

O may be more important in today’s NFL but you have to have at least a decent defense. That’s KC’s recipe. They are also somewhat opportunistic on defense. Despite Mahomes and KC offense, a fumble by Hurts and a punt return determined that game.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

The example fits better than OJ’s glove. Who you dismiss as their 3rd string QB was actually better than their opening day starter who has sucked every time the league has seen him and who’s 2022 contribution to the team was 194 yards, 1 INT, and a 55 rating. It’s possible he is also better than #2 Garoppolo, Mr “3rd String”, as you dismiss him, is the guy that took them to the playoffs.

They were competitive in the PO game until they lost him and then immediately lost their OFFENSE. It was not just obviously over at that point but over in a painful horrific slow death way that only a final whistle could mercifully end. The entire football world watched that game flip on a dime into a slow-motion grisly train wreck with 49er limbs torn from bodies, faces peeled from skulls, and SF blood spurting all the way to the upper decks of the stadium. They were THAT BAD when they had the #1 defense and suddenly no offense.

Offense is the Key. That was the point, SF playoff game proved it emphatically imo. They still had their #1 defense, after all.

SJ's original post (below) was making the point that a great defense is no longer the best way to win (which I agree with completely), and citing SF's loss to the Eagles in the conf championship game as proof;

QUOTE: SF was far and away the best NFL defense last year. What was their playoff record? Lost NFCC 7 to something.
              KC won the SB with a slightly below average D. Offense is where the playoff Ws are.
              Absolutely a strong probability that Staley's D won't dominate many games. A few maybe. Same as last year. If they don't play well, he'll put his foot on their necks.

My point in my response was that the game cited was not a good example of what Jim was trying to illustrate because once Purdy went down (very early I believe) SF had no offense, none, and had no chance, no matter how good their defense was. The only thing this game proved (emphatically) was that no team can win without any offense. I doubt there will be anyone who will argue that's incorrect.

I'm in agreement with the main point that a strong offense is better to have than a strong defense (these days), which most definitely works in our favor . . . . . . . . . carry on

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                JH3 and Me
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Nah, what happened to SF in the NFCCG was extreme. They had no qb. It made them completely one dimensional.

O may be more important in today’s NFL but you have to have at least a decent defense. That’s KC’s recipe. They are also somewhat opportunistic on defense. Despite Mahomes and KC offense, a fumble by Hurts and a punt return determined that game.
                Punt returns are defense now?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  JH3 and Me
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

SJ's original post (below) was making the point that a great defense is no longer the best way to win (which I agree with completely), and citing SF's loss to the Eagles in the conf championship game as proof;

QUOTE: SF was far and away the best NFL defense last year. What was their playoff record? Lost NFCC 7 to something.
                  KC won the SB with a slightly below average D. Offense is where the playoff Ws are.
                  Absolutely a strong probability that Staley's D won't dominate many games. A few maybe. Same as last year. If they don't play well, he'll put his foot on their necks.

My point in my response was that the game cited was not a good example of what Jim was trying to illustrate because once Purdy went down (very early I believe) SF had no offense, none, and had no chance, no matter how good their defense was. The only thing this game proved (emphatically) was that no team can win without any offense. I doubt there will be anyone who will argue that's incorrect.

I'm in agreement with the main point that a strong offense is better to have than a strong defense (these days), which most definitely works in our favor . . . . . . . . . carry on

Ok. I still say his point of SF was spot on, a perfect laboratory experiment. SF was right there in the game until Purdy went down, then they were toast. As you were …

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Lynch and Shanarat screwed the pooch when they entered that game without a serviceable backup QB.
                    IT also illustrates the defenses need for an offense. SF 7- Phi 31 was not typical for SF's D.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

Ok. I still say his point of SF was spot on, a perfect laboratory experiment. SF was right there in the game until Purdy went down, then they were toast. As you were …
                      I'm trying to figure out what this whole point is here. The fact that a rookie third string quarterback in Brock Purdy was even in a conference championship game while Justin Herbert has yet to win a postseason game in three years shows how important a defense and running game can be.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Punt returns are defense now?
                        No, as good as KC’s offense is, they won because of a ST play and Hurts fumble. It’s still a team game and you need all three phases

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I'm trying to figure out what this whole point is here. The fact that a rookie third string quarterback in Brock Purdy was even in a conference championship game while Justin Herbert has yet to win a postseason game in three years shows how important a defense and running game can be.
                          Bingo

Comment

Working...
                          X