• Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

It is a totally ridiculous situation.

The Charger front office, went against better wisdom and judgement and didn't hire an offensive head coach to get the most of their most important, franchise player when it is proven that is the best model. Instead they opted to hire a DEFENSIVE head coach, who has preceded to oversee a defense that is at the bottom of the league for 3 years and has given up 55 explosive plays of 30+ yards in 36 games.

What is the point here?
    It is an epic failure. It will become a case study for NFL teams and will be studied as a cautionary tale for years.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Midwestbolt View Post
      It's been said elsewhere, but worth repeating.

Staley has pretty much said the Jacksonville game was the emphasis for how the chargers would improve and come out stronger for it. Lemons into lemonade and all that. I would say content from the "all in" stuff confirms this line of thought from Staley.

2 games in and all of a sudden the Jacksonville game means nothing. That's last year, forget about it. Move along.

I don't buy it. I know popper was trying to bait a little bit - but the question has merit.

2 games. Two losses. 58 for / 63 against. This ain't what we were being sold on all offseason.
      This is representative of one of the main problems Staley has. He knows what people want to hear - and give it to them, and he comes across as sincere when he does it. The problem is he does not follow through . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and looks like a fool (or a liar).

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

This is representative of one of the main problems Staley has. He knows what people want to hear - and give it to them, and he comes across as sincere when he does it. The problem is he does not follow through . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and looks like a fool (or a liar).
        I'm not sure how relevant telling people what they want to hear is. It appears to me as if Staley has an overly complicated D and cannot teach it like Fangio can. The players still don't know what they are doing in year 3 despite little roster turnover this offseason and players who are supposed to be a good fit for it. Maybe it clicks and we suddenly get better but I am not sure many here hold out hope that will happen.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

It is a totally ridiculous situation.

The Charger front office, went against better wisdom and judgement and didn't hire an offensive head coach to get the most of their most important, franchise player when it is proven that is the best model. Instead they opted to hire a DEFENSIVE head coach, who has preceded to oversee a defense that is at the bottom of the league for 3 years and has given up 55 explosive plays of 30+ yards in 36 games.

What is the point here?
          My biggest issue with hiring Stale Staley is his very thin resume. Remember, he had ONE season total as a DC in the NFL. ONE. And that was with a team loaded with talent on the defensive side of the ball. Even Ted Cottrell could have coached that Rams D to #1 in the league. If I hire a HC, I want to see multiple years of successful coaching at OC or DC in the NFL, or the same for OC, DC or HC in the college ranks. The Spani thought they hired Boy Wonder...turned out to be Boy Blunder...

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

There was a huge turnover from Staleys first to second year.
            then a lot of guys got injured that second year.
            it's just 2 games into year 3 and I see guys coming together with 2 to 3 costly mistakes giving up an extra 7 to 10 points each game.

It's coming fellas, the payoff for our patience will be huge.
            Darius "4.36" Davis
            top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP Magic Number 3

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

My biggest issue with hiring Stale Staley is his very thin resume. Remember, he had ONE season total as a DC in the NFL. ONE. And that was with a team loaded with talent on the defensive side of the ball. Even Ted Cottrell could have coached that Rams D to #1 in the league. If I hire a HC, I want to see multiple years of successful coaching at OC or DC in the NFL, or the same for OC, DC or HC in the college ranks. The Spani thought they hired Boy Wonder...turned out to be Boy Blunder...
              They thought they were getting their own version of Sean McVay. He was an OC for 3 years before getting hired by the Rams. It's mind boggling to think McVay has been the HC of the Rams for 7 years and is still the youngest HC in the league.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                There was a huge turnover from Staleys first to second year.
                then a lot of guys got injured that second year.
                it's just 2 games into year 3 and I see guys coming together with 2 to 3 costly mistakes giving up an extra 7 to 10 points each game.

It's coming fellas, the payoff for our patience will be huge.
                will there be a payoff for our panic

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

They thought they were getting their own version of Sean McVay. He was an OC for 3 years before getting hired by the Rams. It's mind boggling to think McVay has been the HC of the Rams for 7 years and is still the youngest HC in the league.
                  At LEAST McVay was an OC for 3 years...in his second year, he as OC and Jay Gruden as HC coached the Skins from 4th place to a playoff team. McVay also benefited from learning under John Gruden and Shanarat Sr. I just have a real issue with hiring unqualified coaches with thin resumes--something the Bolts have done every year lately with the exception of Moore...

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Fire Popper.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Absolutely true also. Staley was hired before he was ready to be a Head Coach. It is painfully apparent.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Absolutely true also. Staley was hired before he was ready to be a Head Coach. It is painfully apparent.
                        One could argue he was hired before he was ready to be a DC...

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

After 10 yrs college D, Staley was LB coach in Chi & Den 3 years, DC for LAR 1 yr.
                          LAR had 1 player better than LAC, Aaron Donald.
                          My issue with Staley is that while he knows every stat in the books, situation analytics backwards and forward, his ability to apply it as team D isn't happening with the Chargers.
                          Maybe he peaked out at DC, being HC in addition is a distraction or vice versa.

Comment

Working...
                          X