• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Icebolt View Post

This really makes we wonder why no TE was drafted!
    I think it worked *this* way:

At #54 Tuli Tuipulotu was higher ranked than any TE still on the Chargers' draft board.

At #85, Daiyan Henley was higher ranked than any TE still on the Chargers' draft board.

At #125, Derious Davis was higher ranked than any TE still on the Chargers' draft board.

At #156, Jordan McFadden was higher ranked than any TE still on the Chargers' draft board.

And so on. I think the draft simply didn't fall in a way that would give the Chargers tight end VALUE at any particular spot.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

At #54 Tuli Tuipulotu was higher ranked than any TE still on the Chargers' draft board.

At #85, Daiyan Henley was higher ranked than any TE still on the Chargers' draft board.

At #125, Derious Davis was higher ranked than any TE still on the Chargers' draft board.

At #156, Jordan McFadden was higher ranked than any TE still on the Chargers' draft board.

And so on. I think the draft simply didn't fall in a way that would give the Chargers tight end VALUE at any particular spot.
      That was the Chargers explanation. It may be noteworthy that an early UDFA signing was 6-5, 245 UCLA TE Michael Ezeike.
      I'll be interested to see what Moore is able to do re blocking with McKitty and Everett.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        JH3 and Me
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

That was the Chargers explanation. It may be noteworthy that an early UDFA signing was 6-5, 245 UCLA TE Michael Ezeike.
        I'll be interested to see what Moore is able to do re blocking with McKitty and Everett.
        I find Ezeike's tape to be interesting, personally. he runs very well, fluid, smooth, strong.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I like the analysis of this. Also, Sonora is right about Michael Ezeike. What the Cowboys have in Noah Brown is the best blocking WR on their team. Michael Ezeike is a converted WR, and he could possibly play Noah Brown's role in the blocking scheme. I think he could be an interesting addition to the squad and certainly one of the best TEs in the PAC-10 this season.

Comment

• perryao
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

They had to get Everett to jump out of the way of a TD pass for a 100-yd pick6 in one game. I'd like to see them pull that off twice.

YEAR OF THE FLIP!
            NOT ME! What are you, some kind of masochist?

EDIT: Spelling

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

The Chargers have 6 TEs on the current roster. Moore is well known for working with what he has had in the past.
              Yep...Moore seems to get, ahem, MOORE out of his players...

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Quack, EYYYE think YEWWW are spot on there! And ALL those positions YEWWW mention are serious PON's...

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

But, ............ there were TEs still on the board that were better than McKitty, Parham, or Smartt.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

I am definitely willing to see what Moore can do with Everett, Parham, McKitty, Smartt, Ezeike and Kampmoyer this year. With his scheme he could turn them into viable blockers and pass catchers.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      JH3 and Me
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                      But, ............ there were TEs still on the board that were better than McKitty, Parham, or Smartt.
                      When? What round you looking at and which TEs?
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                        IMO, the real question was... were the best WR's better than the best TE's?
                        The best WR's went #20-23. The best TE went #25. So most of the NFL evaluators seemed to value the best WR's.

Plus, I think many here undervalue Gerald Everett. We'll have to see how productive Kincaid turns out to be. But it would be a reach to project the rookie Kincaid over Everett. And even if that turns out to be the case, you'd have to project Kincaid over KA, MW, JP, and QJ because these are the guys you're taking off the field in order to put Kincaid on the field.

As far as other rounds. I had each and every pick the Chargers made (rounds 2-5) rated higher than available TE's those same rounds.
                        OLineCentric

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

When? What round you looking at and which TEs?
                          I was speaking in generalities. I don't study for the draft anymore so I couldn't say any particular TE was better than the pick we made. But, I do maintain that another TE (that's better than the three I mentioned) may have added more to the team than the guys picked.

As I said tho, I won't pretend to know more about these players in this draft than the Chargers staff. I did spend time prior to the draft looking at Edge, TE, and WR. I think a case could be made that an all-around TE like Meyer may have added more to this offense than Q. However, I could also make a case for Q over Meyer due to our need for some speed at WR.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X