• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Bringing back Callahan is a no-brainer. Drafting Tuli makes KVN's return less likely. I want JJ3.
    Veterans minimum - sure - but nothing more for Callahan. I think Safety is the bigger concern. Whether its JJ3 or another option - I think that is the area first over slot CB

Edge to me - even with Tuli is a concern as you are counting on Tuli and Rumph.

Doesn't even have to be KVN and Callahan - maybe other players out there are better.

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Veterans minimum - sure - but nothing more for Callahan. I think Safety is the bigger concern. Whether its JJ3 or another option - I think that is the area first over slot CB

Edge to me - even with Tuli is a concern as you are counting on Tuli and Rumph.

Doesn't even have to be KVN and Callahan - maybe other players out there are better.
      Callahan did a great job last season. Can you remember even one game where the slot receiver was a problem for us?

My other thought concerning him is who steps in to cover the slot if he's not on the team? I guess ASJ could do it but then you are really thin for backups at CB. We should have drafted one, imo.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

The "injury prone" players are a year older... and a year healthier. Depth at those positions were high round draft picks (WR and EDGE).
        It's not the same team. Tranquill has been replaced by Kendricks. Bandy has been replaced by Quentin Johnson. Those are 2 huge upgrades.

Our run-stopping issues had to do with 2 things:
        1) The Staley D concepts focus on stopping the pass... specifically the deep pass.
        2) The LB's were not scheme fits. Tranquill (while decent against the pass) was terrible against the run. He's gone. And if K9 doesn't figure it out, Henley will take over. His read/react is already better than K9's.

Once we start scoring more (does anyone believe we won't improve?)... then the run defense will be fine.
        And last years rookies have a year of valuable experience.
        Seemed Zion and Salyer hit the rookie wall with so many snaps. Now they know how to prepare for it.

I look for them to take a step up as well as Spiller and the CBs.

If we do nothing, just cutting the injuries in half greatly improves this team, and we have added better depth in some areas.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

And last years rookies have a year of valuable experience.
          Seemed Zion and Salyer hit the rookie wall with so many snaps. Now they know how to prepare for it.

I look for them to take a step up as well as Spiller and the CBs.

If we do nothing, just cutting the injuries in half greatly improves this team, and we have added better depth in some areas.
          I’m starting to think of Spiller as the RB we drafted this year.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
            French Speaking Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Québec city
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Callahan did a great job last season. Can you remember even one game where the slot receiver was a problem for us?

My other thought concerning him is who steps in to cover the slot if he's not on the team? I guess ASJ could do it but then you are really thin for backups at CB. We should have drafted one, imo.
            There are a dozen of CBs who are waiting on FA.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

The "injury prone" players are a year older... and a year healthier. Depth at those positions were high round draft picks (WR and EDGE).
              It's not the same team. Tranquill has been replaced by Kendricks. Bandy has been replaced by Quentin Johnson. Those are 2 huge upgrades.

Our run-stopping issues had to do with 2 things:
              1) The Staley D concepts focus on stopping the pass... specifically the deep pass.
              2) The LB's were not scheme fits. Tranquill (while decent against the pass) was terrible against the run. He's gone. And if K9 doesn't figure it out, Henley will take over. His read/react is already better than K9's.

Once we start scoring more (does anyone believe we won't improve?)... then the run defense will be fine.
              Front 7 run D took a lot of hits. Bosa, Austin Johnson missed a lot of games. Tillery played his way off the team, K9 was rehabbing an ankle early season. Tranquill's run stops didn't happen at LOS often. Otito went IR.
              We should get the Inj players back, replaced Tranq with Kendricks, added Tuli, Henley and Matlock.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                JH3 and Me
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

He was a stud. Like i said … prioritize …
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                  Outback Goon
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Australia
                  • Send PM

bring back both KVN and Callahan. They played well and depth is sorely needed

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Veterans minimum - sure - but nothing more for Callahan.
                    Callahan only allowed a QB rating of 64.2 last year with 3 interceptions including a pick 6. What more do you want out of a slot corner?

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Callahan only allowed a QB rating of 64.2 last year with 3 interceptions including a pick 6. What more do you want out of a slot corner?
                      This. So much this.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Good tackler too.

Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

The Bolts took a major hit in the power rankings following the draft, down 5 places to 13. Come on now, the draft wasn’t that bad.

Rank
                          Los Angeles Chargers
                          Draft picks: 7

Previous rank: No. 8

The Chargers entered the draft with talent at wide receiver, but that talent is also aging and injury prone. Enter TCU wide receiver Quentin Johnston, a first-round selection who should give Justin Herbert and his bionic arm a big-bodied target with explosive playmaking ability. In the fourth round, the Bolts added Johnson's TCU teammate, Derius Davis. He profiles as a replacement for DeAndre Carter, who defected for the Raiders in free agency. With running back Austin Ekeler more likely to return than not -- his request for a trade hasn't produced a nibble -- new offensive coordinator Kellen Moore will have plenty to work with.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X