• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

First thing, Bosa is not guaranteed a penny for 2024. (Neither is Mack Williams or Allen - you keep missing that point!) The Chargers can release all four of them and save 23+22+23+20 = $87m cash --plus that much against the cap. Chargers can say "eff it" - we don't care if we get a comp pick or trade the player. They can just say hey we are getting 87m of cap space and move forward

If you think the players have any real leverage - they don't. As for the plan you suggest for Bosa -- Of course bosa will say yes to that if he gets his total $22m. EVERY player would if they know they aren't taking a pay cut. The Chargers do not even have to ask Bosa to push the money - it is automatically written into the contract. But you also said you don't think Bosa is worth $22m - so why are you paying him $22m

Its when you ask them to take a pay cut - that you have to ask
    OK... and you keep missing the fact that the money was already paid (restructures and signing bonuses) to keep 2022 and 2023 caps artificially low (All-In)... that's why you eat 87m if you cut/trade them all this off-season. BTW, you only save $14.5 against the cap if you cut Bosa... not 22 million. They've already eaten $20+m on the JCJ trade. They ate $2.5 million cap against 2024 cap when they cut SJD. It's hard to believe that the Chargers will eat $100m in dead cap for 2024 and clean out KA, MW, Bosa, and Mack.

BTW... you get no comp picks for players you trade or cut... only if they leave via free agency.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

OK... and you keep missing the fact that the money was already paid (restructures and signing bonuses) to keep 2022 and 2023 caps artificially low (All-In)... that's why you eat 87m if you cut/trade them all this off-season. BTW, you only save $14.5 against the cap if you cut Bosa... not 22 million. They've already eaten $20+m on the JCJ trade. They ate $2.5 million cap against 2024 cap when they cut SJD. It's hard to believe that the Chargers will eat $100m in dead cap for 2024 and clean out KA, MW, Bosa, and Mack.

BTW... you get no comp picks for players you trade or cut... only if they leave via free agency.
      KA will refuse any trades, he wants to play for the Chargers or no one, he's made that clear, if they cut him he'll probably retire...I think KA agrees to some kind of restructure that includes a reduction in salary, once a guy is motivated to retire with a team they are more amenable to give that team a discount...I think Keenan understands and accepts that he is close to the end of his career, REAL close...

Mack they will most likely trade, it just makes sense

MW will probably get cut before the deadline to give him a chance to find a new home before teams burn thru their FA money...

Bosa will probably be a June 1st cut or trade for minimal 2025 draft compensation, they get enough from a June 1st move (22 mil in cap space) with him to sign all of their draft picks and have money left over for the in season roster management...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

KA will refuse any trades, he wants to play for the Chargers or no one, he's made that clear, if they cut him he'll probably retire...I think KA agrees to some kind of restructure that includes a reduction in salary, once a guy is motivated to retire with a team they are more amenable to give that team a discount...I think Keenan understands and accepts that he is close to the end of his career, REAL close...

MW will probably get cut before the deadline to give him a chance to find a new home before teams burn thru their FA money...

Bosa will probably be a June 1st cut or trade for minimal 2025 draft compensation, they get enough from a June 1st move (22 mil in cap space) with him to sign all of their draft picks and have money left over for the in season roster management...
        I thought Allen said he’d wanted to stay here but would be selective about who else he would consider playing for. It will be interesting to see how many of them are cut or traded.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

You are misunderstanding the cap .. you are wrong

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

That's interesting... I hadn't heard that KA wants to retire a Charger. I'd ask him how much longer he wants to play. Then you can extend him. I wouldn't ask him to take too much of a Bro-Deal. No need to offend one of your all-time greats. Respect. Especially if you can do some very savvy moves. Do you think Keenan would come back if the Chargers are blowing everybody out...?

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

You are misunderstanding the cap .. you are wrong
              Yeah, I don't think so. I know for sure you can't get comp picks for players you trade or cut.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Yeah, I don't think so. I know for sure you can't get comp picks for players you trade or cut.
                No you don’t understand the chargers would save 87m if they release those four players Only 60m
                is dead but that’s locked in.

I know they don’t get comp picks but it is what is. I am not keeping a player just to hope to get a comp pick

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

That's interesting... I hadn't heard that KA wants to retire a Charger. I'd ask him how much longer he wants to play. Then you can extend him. I wouldn't ask him to take too much of a Bro-Deal. No need to offend one of your all-time greats. Respect. Especially if you can do some very savvy moves. Do you think Keenan would come back if the Chargers are blowing everybody out...?
                  there was an article I swear I read it a couple of weeks ago, sorry I don't remember where, I think in the USA Today website where Keenan was quoted as saying that he doesn't want to get traded at all, that he'd consider retirement if it came to that, so I'm just making the assumption that if he's so motivated to stay that he must understand the financial situation and what that means in terms of his compensation if he is wanting to stick around...
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I thought Allen said he’d wanted to stay here but would be selective about who else he would consider playing for. It will be interesting to see how many of them are cut or traded.
                    No he said he didn't want to play elsewhere and and would retire,.... more or less and then wait for late season calls from teams who are in the hunt for playoffs. Something to that effect. It's not word for word.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

there was an article I swear I read it a couple of weeks ago, sorry I don't remember where, I think in the USA Today website where Keenan was quoted as saying that he doesn't want to get traded at all, that he'd consider retirement if it came to that, so I'm just making the assumption that if he's so motivated to stay that he must understand the financial situation and what that means in terms of his compensation if he is wanting to stick around...
                      If he wants to make a good deal - keep him

if not - he retires or moves on . I don’t believe players 24 hours after the season ends

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

No he said he didn't want to play elsewhere and and would retire,.... more or less and then wait for late season calls from teams who are in the hunt for playoffs. Something to that effect. It's not word for word.

“I don’t want to go nowhere else,” said Allen, the longest-tenured Charger. “I’ve been here [11] years. … I’m not looking forward to anything else.”

One possibility involves the Chargers trading Allen, an idea Allen said he would entertain only for “a select few” destinations.

“I’m not playing for a team I don’t want to play for,” he insisted. “I’ve been playing this game long enough. I’m kind of solidified on that side. If it did come down to that, then adiós, amigos.”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

What must be considered is how do we treat players who have balled for us ?
                          Give Keenan and Khalil the freedom to seek a trade with another team before the draft.
                          The HC/GM choices will let them know whether or not they want to go for a ring in LA or elsewhere.
                          We would want them to be amenable to renegotiation and motivated to continue to ball a few more years.
                          If they decide to stay, that would automatically be with the understanding that the Chargers need cap help to compete.
                          This is how it works.
                          Bean counters step aside.
                          Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X