• Show
Clear All
  • Leslie Grossman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Oklahoma
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Why? He hasnt been good with the Jets OL, doubt he is better with ours. Theres one game left, teams with playoff implications will pick him up, not teams like us. He is a FA after this season as well.
    Yet another example of why smart GMs build the O Line and make RBs low priority. I remember 5 years ago the Rams signed a guy right before the playoffs who ran all over the Cowboys.
    Jets could not have won a playoff game with the O Line injuries and a great defense even if Rodgers stayed healthy imo.
    Last edited by Leslie Grossman; 01-03-2024, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

One other thing though, the Chargers have to keep the cap holds for Linsley and Bosa until June 1 I believe. So they still need to be under the cap in March before saying Bosa and Linsley are June 1 cuts (assuming he retires). I think it's going to be some major moves still.
      I'll take your word for it because honestly I'm not sure how that post June 1st stuff works, but I think that some of what they do will involve that loophole so that they can clear the money that they need to finish signing their picks and have a workable budget for the regular season like you mentioned...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I'll take your word for it because honestly I'm not sure how that post June 1st stuff works, but I think that some of what they do will involve that loophole so that they can clear the money that they need to finish signing their picks and have a workable budget for the regular season like you mentioned...
        I totally agree they should use the June 1 allocation for Bosa and Linsley (again if he retires) to give themselves more cap space just in case. As one thing in teh NFL, you roll over what you don't use so there is no harm in taking the June 1

I think it is going to be interesting to see how the new GM/HC approach offseason moves I think there are going to more Callahan, Fox, Van Noy moves than being aggressive on Day 1 or Day 2 and signing the bigger dollar players

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          JH3 and Me
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Johnson and Quinn have shown to be good coordinators - thats for sure

I am just more comfortable with Quinn because he has been a HC in the past and even though he lost the Super Bowl ahead 28-3 and got fired, most coaches do end up getting fired. That is not a concern. Like I said, you can ask questions of Quinn that he will have actual answers too where with Ben Johnson, it would be hypothetical.

So many on the forum or on twitter want the perfect coaching candidate and think that just because somebody hasn't failed, means they are more likely to succeed. When the fact is, just do not know. And though I prefer a proven HC, who knows, Ben Johnson or Mike McDonald can both be successful in spite of the Chargers not doing well with first time head coaches.
          its all valid. I don't know Quinn isn't better than BJ. There is no perfect candidate as you note. Either he's never been there, or he was there and got fired.

I like DeBoer over both of them, but I don't know that's right either. The only sure-pick I see is Harbaugh and I hope we get him.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

The Jets just waived Dalvin Cook. He is on a one year deal and waived his bonuses. Why shouldn’t the Chargers sign him and pick up his salary for the last game of the season? Next year he becomes a free agent and they could get a comp pick for him after just one game on the roster, right? And if the new coaching staff likes him they could consider him as an alternative to Ekeler who is gone.

What am I missing?

Ps sorry Mods, probably should have put this in the charger roster moves sticky upon reflection. Feel free to move or delete

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
              Pretty much retired......
              • Sep 2018
              • JoJa
              • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
              • Send PM

No brainers have not been a strength of this organization. He is probably playoff team bound.

Comment

• AFboltfan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2018
                • Balboa Park bench
                • Medical Simulation
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                Why shouldn’t the Chargers sign him and pick up his salary for the last game of the season?
                He is washed up and a shell of his former self.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post

He is washed up and a shell of his former self.
                  He's cooked. Finished. It would be a repeat of Sony Michel.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

He won't sign here, he'll sign with a team that will be in the playoffs.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Well deserved for Mack and KA.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                        It's pretty simple. He's been very successful as an OC, and that has proven to be a path for success as a head coach in the NFL.

Sean McVay
                        Kyle Shanahan
                        Mike McDaniel
                        Zac Taylor
                        Shane Steichen
                        Kevin Stefanski

A short list of successful OCs who became successful head coaches in the NFL. Nobody could answer the questions you pose about any of these guys until they became head coaches. Logic dictates that if they are successful as offensive coordinators they have those qualities. Ben Johnson is the hottest HC candidate among current NFL assistants for a reason. He will probably be a very successful HC. If the Spanoses don't land Harbaugh, Johnson is the next best candidate. I will be happy to have him as the Chargers head coach.
                        I still think Todd Monken would be a better candidate as a first timer because of his extensive experience in college and the NFL. Was also briefly a college HC for three years. Also sounds like he connects with the players well, and reminds me of Bruce Arians in a way but is scheme adaptable.

With regards to someone like Ben Johnson or Monken, ideally they go the McVay route with their staffing choices. I would keep Ficken as ST coach so he can control that area, hire an experienced DC (maybe former HC?) like McVay did with Wade Phillips to deal with the defensive side, and concentrate on playcalling and the offense. You see it with other offensive playcallers HCs like Sean Payton, Taylor, Stefanski, and Reid. They don’t try to be CEO of every area.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          Well deserved for Mack and KA.

Good for them.
                          They should just name the players to the pro bowl and that's it. I think Ravens backup QB Huntley went to it last season. Total joke

The flag football game has zero appeal. I hope their ratings are terrible for it.

Comment

Working...
                          X