• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I think the best thing for herbert is to clean house now and surround him with young talent for years to come, I've been saying it for awhile now that this team is too reliant on older players, this team needs to get younger one older guy on a roster like this is all you need and my vote would be to keep KA instead of Mack, build around Tuli, mattlock, Otito, ogbonbemiga, Dean, Taylor and the rest of the younger guys on defense...
    IMO we need some healthy vets that are playing well to keep the performance level at a high baseline. All kids where we had quality vets leaders sounds pretty shaky. Spread it out.
    Win in 2024 and beyond.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

IMO we need some healthy vets that are playing well to keep the performance level at a high baseline. All kids where we had quality vets leaders sounds pretty shaky. Spread it out.
      Win in 2024 and beyond.
      I look at what Saleh did in New York, he got rid of all the old timers and built around the young guys and now they have one of the best defenses in the NFL...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Khalil Mack is $38,5 million against the cap next year. NOBODY thought he's getting that. Not him, not his agent, not anybody. Of that $38.5 million, $15.3 million was restructure (already been paid) money. Cut him... and that's what you swallow... no return... against your cap regardless.

So the rest ($23.2 million) is un-guaranteed money (non-guaranteed base, roster bonus, work-out bonus).
        His cap hit was $8.75 in 2022 and $16.632 in 2023. He's been playing for $13 million/year average for the Chargers.
        That's a bargain (considering he's #3 in sacks). Are you saying that he's not worth $13 million/year...?

Let's say Mack agrees to come back until 2026 @ $13 million/year...
        That's $39 million to spread out over 3 years
        2024: $5 million guaranteed base
        2025: $20 million guaranteed (because that's what top-5 pass rushers are worth)
        2026: $15 million guaranteed (because at this point your ROI begins to decline with age). Think of this $15 million you would have wasted anyways when you cut him after the 2023 season.

Cap hits of $20 million in 2024 (an $18.5 million savings against the 2024 cap)... $20 million in 2025 (because not even Tuli will be producing like this in 2025)... and $15 million in 2026 (because you throw this money away anyways).

We have $110 million cap space in 2025 and $300+ million of cap space in 2026.
        It's ridiculous to burn the whole thing down. Extend your good players. Don't waste another one of Herbert's years (which is essentially what you are suggesting.

I can do the Math for Keenan if you'd like... it's even easier!
        I'm not a fan of absolutes.

Cleaning house shouldn't mean ripping out the floor board coverings.
        It should mean getting rid of 30+ vet linebackers / DTs for 2nd year players .... but those are easy choices.

Pushing forth Chris Rumph is not an option .... perhaps it might be a necessity, but you'll suffer for it.
        Otherwise, you'll need to spend a 1rst/2nd, which means you highly prioritize edge players in your defense and on your team.

Let's say that's what you do ..... maybe a high 2nd round pick at edge.

Then, you'll have to live with the consequences of trotting Will Clapp out there - or you go to free agency, which leads you back to getting old and the short term
        boost on the offensive line in free agency that never lasts long.

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

the only reason you move on from Mack is that you don't think you're gonna do squat next season.... do you think Jim Harbaugh/Justin Herbert believe that ??

Harbaugh is a very large upgrade over Mr. Staley, and prolly ditto for whomever we bring in for GM, as didn't dislike Major Tom, albeit looking @his roster, there are others out there w/keener eyes for talent/roster building.

we can make a very large jump next season, and.... we are much better suited for such a bump.... w/Khalil Mack.... draft his replacement and revisit things in 2025 (when Dean puts feelers out for selling the team).

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If the Bolts could get a 2nd rounder for Mack, I'd do that deal...
            (preferably a nice HIGH second rounder...)
            For me, doesn't even need to be that high. I would like a Day 2 pick but thats not the sole reason I am making the trade. Cap space saved this year and not pushing dead money in the future

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

In the Fantasy World of projecting the highest possible #1 pick for the Chargers next April, here's what we're hoping for next week, the next-to-last of the regular season:

Bolt fans are looking for the following teams to WIN.

<x> Washington-- with 4 wins-- plays at home vs. the 49ers. Unlikely they'll win, but that's what Bolt fans are hoping for.

<x> New England-- with 4 wins-- is fresh off an upset win over the Broncos, and facing Buffalo in a road game.

<x> Tennessee-- with 5 wins-- plays on the road vs. Houston.

<x> The Giants-- with 5 wins-- play at home against the Rams

<x> The Jets-- with 6 wins-- have a road game vs. Cleveland.

<x> Chicago-- with 6 wins-- plays at home vs. Atlanta

The Chargers will be playing on the road against a very pissed off Denver team that is perilously close to being eliminated from playoff qualification, and absolutely, positively MUST win to avoid elimination. In other words, they should have no shortage of motivation.

If the Bears and Jets manage to secure wins, it all but guarantees that the Bolts would end up drafting ahead of them.

Wins by Washington or New England might grease the skids for Chargers to slide into a Top 5 pick. Unlikely, but the possibility exists.

All of the above assumes that Carolina (currently 2-13) and Arizona (currently 3-12) "earn" the draft's top two selections. Due to a draft day trade last spring, the Bears will receive the Panthers' pick.

Last edited by Ghost of Quacksaw; 12-25-2023, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                the only reason you move on from Mack is that you don't think you're gonna do squat next season.... do you think Jim Harbaugh/Justin Herbert believe that ??

Harbaugh is a very large upgrade over Mr. Staley, and prolly ditto for whomever we bring in for GM, as didn't dislike Major Tom, albeit looking @his roster, there are others out there w/keener eyes for talent/roster building.

we can make a very large jump next season, and.... we are much better suited for such a bump.... w/Khalil Mack.... draft his replacement and revisit things in 2025 (when Dean puts feelers out for selling the team).
                I have already laid out why I am moving on from Khalil Mack. If you have a good GM/HC combination, the team can be better if they allocate what one could get from a Khalil Mack trade both in terms of cap space and draft picks wisely.

The roster needs more depth - that has been a consistent theme of the Tommy JohnBoy era. Khalil Mack had a very good season - sell high, take your medicine from a dead cap perspective and move on.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

So I've been reading theories on here that John Spanos' GM and HC got fired and that must somehow mean that he's been demoted by dean spanos in regards to decision making...then I read that the chargers signed max duggan to the active roster and it's a sobering reminder that questionable draft picks and questionable decision of who to retain and who to let go will continue as long as John Spanos is part of the charger organization...this is why I still believe that we will never know just how good of a GM TT could have been if he had been working in an organization where ownership lets the football people make the football decisions...
                  I’m not gonna read too much into a late season bottom-roster move after our starting QB went on IR. You assume TT didn’t get to make any decisions, i don’t think you know that, I don’t know that - you just assume it.

Managing a boss is part of an executive’s job. Every CEO has to manage his board of directors. Every COO has to manage his CFO and CEO. On and on - IF TT was that incredibly weak that every dumb idea John ever thought of was just adopted, thats just a different reason to fire him.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

I look at what Saleh did in New York, he got rid of all the old timers and built around the young guys and now they have one of the best defenses in the NFL...
                    The Jets are 6-9, this is our model? No thanks. Jets have been racking top 5 picks for it seems like a decade and they have risen to 6-9. No thanks. Let model on a 9-6 or better team instead.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                      Let's do this!
                      • Aug 2022
                      • Raleigh N. Carolina
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

The AFC West is looking pretty weak as well.

Playoffs wouldn't be out of the question next year and an absolute in 25

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                        Let's do this!
                        • Aug 2022
                        • Raleigh N. Carolina
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

The Jets are 6-9, this is our model? No thanks. Jets have been racking top 5 picks for it seems like a decade and they have risen to 6-9. No thanks. Let model on a 9-6 or better team instead.
                        The swing and miss on Wilson has set them back years.

In fairness, they tried to remedy with a future HOF qb...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I’m not gonna read too much into a late season bottom-roster move after our starting QB went on IR. You assume TT didn’t get to make any decisions, i don’t think you know that, I don’t know that - you just assume it.

Managing a boss is part of an executive’s job. Every CEO has to manage his board of directors. Every COO has to manage his CFO and CEO. On and on - IF TT was that incredibly weak that every dumb idea John ever thought of was just adopted, thats just a different reason to fire him.
                          Exactly right. Maybe, just maybe, even if John Boy is in the room, there might be better people at their job than Telesco. If a guy like Will McClay can work 21 years in Dallas and be able to help Jerrah and Steven Jones, I think he could manage John Boy

Truly, that is why Will McClay is my top GM candidate - he dealth with Jerrah and put his imprint on those drafts. Granted, the Ravens guy is also very impressive. So for me, they are 1A and 1B

Comment

Working...
                          X