• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Once it all fell apart completely with Staley, it became time to pivot.

We must transition away from being top heavy and allocating cap space to a few impact players.

The problem is that Bosa and MW do not interest trade partners, and Keenan and Mack would have to be allowed to talk to other teams.

We might get round threes there to build depth and shore up weaknesses.

Dline/EDGE is notoriously scheme dependant.

The key to our draft will be prospects in the 50 to 125 talent level range, as 1 and 2 will go to replacing KA/Khalil.

Just an idea B4K...
    I added to my post above about draft picks - but if I am the Chargers, you are right about KA and Khalil

If Bosa has any value - even trading a 6th with Bosa for a 4th - I do it. I tell his agent the day after the Super Bowl - "he can find a trade" and truly the return is what the return will be
    MW - coming off an ACL - don't see the value
    Khalilk - I am striking while the iron is hot - maybe you can get a draft pick but you also get a bunch of cap space that can be used to sign multiple players making that 4-5m range. If the Chargers were closer, Mack might be better - but they aren't. I think for the 2024 Chargers - that 3 or 4 role players (using the cap space) and a draft pick (via the trade) is better for the long term interests of the team than pushing a bunch of cap for Khalil Mack

KA is the tough one. And last year, I am on record as moving on from him but that was cap related (meaning he didn't have guaranteed money, MW did), This year, that is not the case. But I still ask if he wants to find a trade and if he does - I oblige the trade

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

I love these guys and what they've done for us.
      Sad.
      Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

if the trading partner for Bosa, Mack and Williams would have to take on their contract "as is" then I think cutting them is the only way to go. Bosa is too fragile to commit money to him and Mack is great, but still too damn expensive. MW is just risky - a mix of Bosa and Mack issues.

For the draft, I hold more value in the Palmer, Guyton, Everet, mix than most people do. also, if we want to add a new WR, get a possession guy who can get open. we don't need the over-priced All Pro guy. we already have a project with QJ. i would pick up an experienced possession guy in free agency and use the high draft picks on D Line and O Line.
        McConkey Round 2 is a stealth fit.
        Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

I love these guys and what they've done for us.
          Sad.
          Khalil Mack - its tough. Has been balling out this year. But can the Chargers leverage that, if he is amenable to a trade to start building a solid team and not this year to year roll of the dice.

Bosa - been a good player but the injuries. They just might release him

Its tough but I have seen enough players come and go - its about the W's

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I will give you a clue-that's something new.

This is the old GOAT who drafted Gronk and Aaron Hernandez...
            Also a lot of clowns who can’t play in this league, like with every front office type.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

if the trading partner for Bosa, Mack and Williams would have to take on their contract "as is" then I think cutting them is the only way to go. Bosa is too fragile to commit money to him and Mack is great, but still too damn expensive. MW is just risky - a mix of Bosa and Mack issues.

For the draft, I hold more value in the Palmer, Guyton, Everet, mix than most people do. also, if we want to add a new WR, get a possession guy who can get open. we don't need the over-priced All Pro guy. we already have a project with QJ. i would pick up an experienced possession guy in free agency and use the high draft picks on D Line and O Line.
              Makes sense.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                Ekeler, what a team player:
                Yeah, wow. I can’t imagine there’s one GM in the league that wants to here this guy talk like this.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Its the NFL - their contracts can be reworked if a team wants them. Hence, I am letting them find a trade partner and though the value might not be great - it could be better than nothing. I don't think MW has any value in terms of a trade coming off an ACL

For Bosa - -I think something like Bosa 6th for a 4th and the new team figures out the contract. Otherwise he will be released for nothing
                  Same with Mack - if you can get something credit -

End of the day - the Chargers can clear a boat load of cap space for three players 1) Bosa, not healthy consistently as you said 2) MW - -the injury history is not like Bosa but who knows about next year 3) Mack - for this team, not worth it to push the cap and selling high (maybe you get a 3rd rounder)

Comment

• Charge!
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I added to my post above about draft picks - but if I am the Chargers, you are right about KA and Khalil

If Bosa has any value - even trading a 6th with Bosa for a 4th - I do it. I tell his agent the day after the Super Bowl - "he can find a trade" and truly the return is what the return will be
                    MW - coming off an ACL - don't see the value
                    Khalilk - I am striking while the iron is hot - maybe you can get a draft pick but you also get a bunch of cap space that can be used to sign multiple players making that 4-5m range. If the Chargers were closer, Mack might be better - but they aren't. I think for the 2024 Chargers - that 3 or 4 role players (using the cap space) and a draft pick (via the trade) is better for the long term interests of the team than pushing a bunch of cap for Khalil Mack

KA is the tough one. And last year, I am on record as moving on from him but that was cap related (meaning he didn't have guaranteed money, MW did), This year, that is not the case. But I still ask if he wants to find a trade and if he does - I oblige the trade
                    possession guys are a dime a dozen..... Guyton has no blazing speed anymore after his injury..... and he is getting older..... Chargers need to add a couple of speed burners middle of draft and in FA.....
                    if we are at pick 5 or so, we need to stay their and take an elite player at OT, DT/DE, CB, WR(Harrison), or Bowers the generational TE......Herbert needs dependable fast targets to take advantage of his arm......
                    Hoping at least 3 QB's are taken above us...

its up to the experts to rank those players at the top correctly, but at least one elite player will be available at our pick.....

Chargers will er getting rid of Bosa, MW, and maybe Mack and others due to age and $$$$ reasons.....and our C will likely be retired for health reasons....

This will be a very new team next year....... most of the new players will need to be young, healthy and fast.....

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Good spot for a new HC to land.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

possession guys are a dime a dozen..... Guyton has no blazing speed anymore after his injury..... and he is getting older..... Chargers need to add a couple of speed burners middle of draft and in FA.....
                        if we are at pick 5 or so, we need to stay their and take an elite player at OT, DT/DE, CB, WR(Harrison), or Bowers the generational TE......Herbert needs dependable fast targets to take advantage of his arm......
                        Hoping at least 3 QB's are taken above us...

its up to the experts to rank those players at the top correctly, but at least one elite player will be available at our pick.....

Chargers will er getting rid of Bosa, MW, and maybe Mack and others due to age and $$$$ reasons.....and our C will likely be retired for health reasons....

This will be a very new team next year....... most of the new players will need to be young, healthy and fast.....
                        I'd keep Mack thru the bridge year if they can do the math. He is expensive but he'll have another strong season and we need more than two edge rushers. He is a leader in many ways on the team. Agree on the others.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

pretty sure any team that trades for any of the aforementioned is able to rework their contract, if said player is amenable.

somebody is gonna commit some monies to Bosa, question is what's his value/going rate ?? I'd say around $17m/year is about right ??

and Mack needs to be restructured, but am sure any incoming coach would want to retain him.... maybe @about the same $17m/year or so ??

and re: MW.... just like Connor Williams, he is even more attractive to me given our cap woes, and would be even more inclined to sign him post ACL, as in theory that would save us some monies, and still give us a starting NFL center, even if we have to wait a couple few games into the regular season. nothing preventing us from drafting an OC and bringing Jamaree up to speed @the OC, in order that we can compete some before (Connor) Williams is ready to step in for us.

really don't think we're as far off/much of a mess as some here make us out to be.... Herbert, Slater, Keenan, Mack and a draft pick or coupla few.... we're gonna win some games (w/Harbaugh

not sure Guyton is gonna be brought back, albeit otherwise, couldn't agree w/you more.... plenty to work with the group of Keenan, Palmer, QJ 'n Derrius, along w/Everett & Parham.... have seen (much) worse.

and like the idea of a possession receiver that can get open (key word there), as we have some speed w/the TCU guys, and KA & JP can work the middle/intermediate parts of the field/pattern.... we need a gnat/thorn in the side of the opposing defense.... someone that just gets open and catches the ball.

and agree re: the draft.... would be nice to get Harrison, and there will be a receiver on board when we pick round one, albeit don't think we're gonna be top five, and end up more top ten, which prolly takes Harrison and Odunze off the board, and prolly Bowers as well ??

think both (left) tackles are gonna be goners as well, and just don't see the value @RT for the top ten ??

and some peoples like McKinstry, but agree again that the better value and talent is on the Dline this go 'round.

it's the age old Chargers' conundrum.... go for the receiver that is Chargers' football, or buckle down and get the Dlineman that has been the one and only glimpse @the SB.

Marvin or Brock would be nice, Alt or Fashanu is a nice thought as well, and.... still really think it comes down to Laiatu or Jer'Zhan Newton.... not sure either of 'em are all world, and.... both would be really, really helpful, and most helpful in getting us toward the promised land.... the proverbial shot @a Lombardi.... defense (and 'specially/specifically pass rush) still wins.

Comment

Working...
                          X