Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Something I can follow...
    🚀 Unlock the secrets behind Brandon Staley's revolutionary Pattern-Match Defense! In this video, we delve deep into the intricacies of Staley's defensive ge...
    Darius "4.36" Davis
    top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP2024: (Triple Play)

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      Wow...finally I'm beginning to understand why Staley's D is such an epic fail...Staley's D is a hybrid zone/man D...to quote the vid, just one example:

"When an opposing offense uses motion before or at the snap, that can change which coverage player is assigned to which receiver."

This alone explains why we see so many opposing receivers get such huge separation from our defenders, especially on crossing patterns. In short, like so many of us have been saying, Staley's D is too confusing to our OWN players. It's like our defenders are saying to each other: Player A: "That was YOUR man!" Player B: "No he's not! He was in motion at the snap!" And so on...

Instead, how about drafting good press corners, play mostly man D, with safety help deep?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        JH3 and Me
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wow...finally I'm beginning to understand why Staley's D is such an epic fail...Staley's D is a hybrid zone/man D...to quote the vid, just one example:

"When an opposing offense uses motion before or at the snap, that can change which coverage player is assigned to which receiver."

This alone explains why we see so many opposing receivers get such huge separation from our defenders, especially on crossing patterns. In short, like so many of us have been saying, Staley's D is too confusing to our OWN players. It's like our defenders are saying to each other: Player A: "That was YOUR man!" Player B: "No he's not! He was in motion at the snap!" And so on...

Instead, how about drafting good press corners, play mostly man D, with safety help deep?
        I don't know that pure man all the time is the solution, teams can't find enough top shelf CBs to do that which is why all teams play variants of zone and zone hybrid most of the time, perhaps with a CB1 or 2 iso'd on a top receiver(s) in key situations. But I do agree with your implication - the evidence is compelling that his defensive scheme, which is designed to confuse offenses, confuses his own players more often than opponents. Expecting 11 players to all make instant identification and adjustment to their assignment based on all 11 seeing the exact same thing the same way is a recipe for #31.

What keeps rlddling me is this - last year their rush D was horrible but pass D was above average. Part of that was fake stats as teams were running more and just didnt pass as much because they didnt want or need to. But part of it was some actual better pass coverage too. this year its flipped - is it just because OCs are attacking the pass coverage that was susceptible last year more this year, because rush D really is better, or ... ?

his D was tickling the bottom of the barrel in both years - the answer won't save him. Its mostly the same players, same coaches, and better pass rush this year.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2023
          • Send PM

The very first play of the season, Mack had to take the slot receiver because no one was over there.

Or maybe the Dolphin's motion put Mack into coverage? We'll never know.

It reminds me of the Lion game where Tuli went up field on a pass rush and then had to pivot and chase the tight end.

Motion switched his assignment at the last second .... stupid jerk didn't realize it on time.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            JH3 and Me
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

The very first play of the season, Mack had to take the slot receiver because no one was over there.

It reminds me of the Lion game where Tuli went up field on a pass rush and then had to pivot and chase the tight end.

Motion switched his assignment at the last second .... stupid jerk didn't realize it on time.
            what a jerk, eh? I hate when 11 guys don't instantly and seamlessly recognize without losing a stride between the time a guy goes in motion and the ball is snapped that their assignment just changed.

One play last week we saw Murray rushing out late to cover someone and he screened his own DB off of the outside WR, letting the WR run wide open to the end zone for a TD. easy pitch and catch while our defensive players are running into each other.

I can see now why Brandon has complete confidence in the design and sees that its just the execution.

Yep Yes GIF by C H A R L Ö T T E
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• electricgold
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2020
              • Send PM

When you look at Love's winning drive, the D was terrible! At the presser for BS to argue that the D and his play calls were not a factor in the loss was preposterous!

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don't know that pure man all the time is the solution, teams can't find enough top shelf CBs to do that which is why all teams play variants of zone and zone hybrid most of the time, perhaps with a CB1 or 2 iso'd on a top receiver(s) in key situations. But I do agree with your implication - the evidence is compelling that his defensive scheme, which is designed to confuse offenses, confuses his own players more often than opponents. Expecting 11 players to all make instant identification and adjustment to their assignment based on all 11 seeing the exact same thing the same way is a recipe for #31.

What keeps rlddling me is this - last year their rush D was horrible but pass D was above average. Part of that was fake stats as teams were running more and just didnt pass as much because they didnt want or need to. But part of it was some actual better pass coverage too. this year its flipped - is it just because OCs are attacking the pass coverage that was susceptible last year more this year, because rush D really is better, or ... ?

his D was tickling the bottom of the barrel in both years - the answer won't save him. Its mostly the same players, same coaches, and better pass rush this year.
                ^ This...Staley is asking his defensive players for too much...for all 11 players to instantaneously make adjustments on the fly...based on several sets of variables which can change in a split second...no wonder we're #31 in the league...agree that it's hard to find a set of solid press corners, so at LEAST go back to some form of zone defense where duties are clearly defined...with maybe one SS assigned to any crossers over the middle...but this is mindless to continue as is...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1993 View Post
                  sign shaq leonard rn, idc, colts released him, sign him hes only 28 hell help out tons
                  He isn't 100% and is recovering from nerve damage. Would cost us 6 mil to claim him.

He isn't their stud LB anymore. Franklin is..

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

To drop Mack, Tuli or Bosa into coverage seems mindless...you're essentially giving up on rushing the QB, giving him all day to throw, or a wide open field for scrambling for chunk yards...

Comment

• Charge!
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

To drop Mack, Tuli or Bosa into coverage seems mindless...you're essentially giving up on rushing the QB, giving him all day to throw, or a wide open field for scrambling for chunk yards...
                      I agree... but only time to do that is if you are really expecting a quick slant or dump off.... doing a zone blitz at those times, can fool alot of QB';s especiallyn inexperienced ones who make a quick forst read....into throwing a stupid quick pick... lol

Staly has not shown that ability to anticipate the oppposition.....lets say that bellycheat has.... lol

Comment

• Charge!
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

^ This...Staley is asking his defensive players for too much...for all 11 players to instantaneously make adjustments on the fly...based on several sets of variables which can change in a split second...no wonder we're #31 in the league...agree that it's hard to find a set of solid press corners, so at LEAST go back to some form of zone defense where duties are clearly defined...with maybe one SS assigned to any crossers over the middle...but this is mindless to continue as is...
                        the proble is that Staley is not a traditional kick ass football coach who knows how ti tr=each blocking and tackling..... Staley is a nice, smart guy raised by school teachers to be very smart and analytical...
                        he is so obsessed with certain stats that this game is simple.... its about blocking and tackling.....
                        Staley has lost this team..... football players are not that smart.... Staley teaches like every player was smart like Herbert.... unfortunately some of these grest athletes can barely speak let alone write....
                        Staley is telling players they need to be emotionally "connected" instead of teaching simple blocking and tacklikg....lol

Listen to steelers coach during press conferences..... he is simple, but scary tough.... Chargers need that kind of coach....

Comment

• Berserker76
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

Was Muse another practice injury? Sorry if I missed that.

Comment

Working...
                          X