• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltgang74
    We Are The Storm!
    • Aug 2018
    • Send PM

We'll see but I personally don't believe these SpAnus guys will pony up the money to pay for a winning coach.How much Staley makin,4 mill a year?How much Reid and Payton makin in our division?

Comment

• Heatmiser
      BetterToday ThanYesterday
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I think Payton gets $20m per. And McDaniels was getting $10M, I think? Surprisingly, Ried, Tomlin, the other Harbaugh, make $12M. McVay $14M. Shanarat Jr $10M

Belicheck or Harbaugh will be in the $20M a year range. Just like a top QB gets $50M a year. And the top coaches want guarantees and 5- 6 year minimum contracts. That is just the way it is. Even Spanii know this.

A Moore or Johnson are still going to be $7-10M a year. The days of less than that, even for unproven first timers, are over.

PS - for context, Harbaugh signed a 5 year, $35.7M contract with Michigan last year and he made about $10M in 2022. So he can get a nice raise coming back to NFL and maybe $15-18M would do it especially since he is radio active in NCAA now.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
        We'll see but I personally don't believe these SpAnus guys will pony up the money to pay for a winning coach.How much Staley makin,4 mill a year?How much Reid and Payton makin in our division?
        I think Big Andy is like at 12 and Payton is higher than that. I think he signed 80/5 so what is that 16m per

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
          Some times teams swing from one extreme to the other. So Staley is young, inexperienced, players coach, defensive pedigree, wants to both lead and manage the team.

Next coach might be less of a coddler, an offensive expert, a leader and not a leader/coordinator/play caller and someone with a lot of experience. Belicheck is a defensive guy but he is a unicorn and knows offense just as well. Harbaugh is an offensive guy but he always has really tough defenses. Looking at Harbaugh coached teams, I love their identity and toughness. So dissimilar to our teams over the years. And it is consistent everywhere Harbaugh has coached so it would be coming here, too.

Don't like either guy but hard to argue with their success. It would be really, really hard for me to accept the Belicheck assistants (McDaniels already mentioned, but also Patricia, Judge, Belicheck Jr and Belicheck Jr II, OBrien. I hate them all). Telesco may vote against an experienced, more powerful HC who will challenge him for authority and responsibility and it may result in Telesco moving out and moving on. Not a bad thing. Telesco does not seem like an AJ Smith ego maniac but the other factor is bringing in an unproven HC who turns out great makes the GM look good. Bringing in Belicheck or Harbaugh minimizes the GM.

For the "Spanii are cheap! I hate the Spanii!" crowd, I do think they will pay up for one of these two guys if they want them. They have paid a ton for players recently and set the market when they signed Bosa, James, Herbert, etc and have the highest defensive payroll in NFL right now. So money won't be an issue. It will be image and character and those are not bad things to weigh but both Belicheck and Harbuagh have some scars. This job should be extremely attractive. I think the only thing holding the CHargers back is coaching. That is it.

TG
          Reasonable takes...but I could care less who the assistants are...and one other thing...

The Spanos pay players because they HAVE to...they have to use salary cap money eventually, that comes from the NFL...tv rights, merchandise, licensing....but the HC comes directly out of their pockets...I am not saying they are cheap...for all we know, they simply have not been able to attract a big money coach here, for a variety of reasons...though I cant say they are not cheap either....there is no emperical evidence to support either conclusion...not until there is a verified report that some big dog wanted x amount of dollars, but walked when the spanos lowballed him.

As for Belicheck...I think its baloney...I think he retires out of NE, whenever that is...

Harbaugh? I like...but I think it will be the Bears, if anybody...though I would love Eberflus as DC when he becomes available...that Colts D (when he was there) wasnt exactly loaded, but they were GOOD...
          Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Reasonable takes...but I could care less who the assistants are...and one other thing...

The Spanos pay players because they HAVE to...they have to use salary cap money eventually, that comes from the NFL...tv rights, merchandise, licensing....but the HC comes directly out of their pockets...I am not saying they are cheap...for all we know, they simply have not been able to attract a big money coach here, for a variety of reasons...though I cant say they are not cheap either....there is no emperical evidence to support either conclusion...not until there is a verified report that some big dog wanted x amount of dollars, but walked when the spanos lowballed him.

As for Belicheck...I think its baloney...I think he retires out of NE, whenever that is...

Harbaugh? I like...but I think it will be the Bears, if anybody...though I would love Eberflus as DC when he becomes available...that Colts D (when he was there) wasnt exactly loaded, but they were GOOD...
            I would trust Harbaugh to pick the correct assistants

Part of being a head coach is building a staff - if you win like he does - that means he has a solid staff
            Might be part of Staleys problem - the staff

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I don't know I would bank on it, but I agree it makes sense. A lot will depend on how well Herbert and the offense perform these next 8 games.
              I'm not banking on it either, in fact i'll bet against it. Just watching him all year, he doesn't exude HC at all to me and forging a new path a new day fresh start blah blah generally does not mean promote one of the junior staff members from a failed staff. In his case - if the conclusion is the pseudo-nerd supposed analytics X&Os new-way rookie HC didnt work, don't replace him with another nerdy analytics-X&O raw rookie HC. please.

And given Chargers 4-5 record, if that record doesn't drastically change upward, he won't be a top candidate around the league either and can just stay put as their OC if Coach New wants him. He has done a good but not an extraordinary job - given the offensive talent, has he really significantly over-achieved? I don't think so. I have not seen a magical genius to make him as absolutely essential, personally. We played two high power offenses, MIA and DET - I thought both of those OCs had more creative innovative "genius" game plans in their designs than Moore had. I'd swap Moore for Johnson but I don't want the next HC to ALSO be a Coordinator again so why tap a great coordinator to be HC?

Don't hire the next HC based on what is best for the next 8 games, hire based on the next 3-5 years. I can see them looking for an actual defensive leader given that is the Chargers problem, and retaining Moore as OC. Quinn, Belly, ... ?

just me, wtf do I know, right?

Staley is about to embark on a 5 game win streak, slip into the playoffs and retain his job anyway, so its all academic

Side note : I saw the twitter post of Staley quote that he's not going to change the defense in any meaningful way. SMH.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I think the second hurt much more, despite Brady being the GOAT. You just cannot win much in the NFL trotting out guys like Mac Jones out at QB. BB the GM never even found an ordinary QB post-Brady.

BB the GM degraded the roster far beyond just TB. very poor drafting the last half dozen years or more.

the big plus for him, if he was not given sole GM player selection authorities, is he knows how to design and teach good defense and adjust defensive plans very well week to week based on the opponent strength and weakness - that is our current epic fail as Staley has not shown he can do that at all, except for the one Miami game last year imo.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think this is the issue more than money. I do not think they want somebody to question the intellect that is John Boy Spanos and that also means Dean

A guy like Payton this past offseason or Harbaugh would probably question it. Now Belichick, they probably would be okay because its Bill Belichick. Harbaugh is just that demanding kook of a coach in black horn rimmed glasses and dockers
                  If Belly wants to reclaim his personal legacy, he'll know how to rub the lamp so it puffs smoke. he could wrap Lil John into a delusion that Johnny is suddenly getting better at his job, even. he's a clever motherfucker and he doesn't say impolite shit to the press ever. he says nothing, always.

The question is - does Belly have that burn to return to the top?

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    No. The cap money does not have to be spent. Teams have to average at least 89% of the cap on a 4 year rolling basis. And the entire NFL in aggregate has to spend 95% of the cap each year. I have no idea how they manage that last part.

So the Spanii are cheap except the NFL makes them spend on players is not accurate.

I think setting aside hatred of the owners we have to acknowledge that they seem to get it. You have to spend on key players (like Herbert, Bosa, Mack, Williams, James, etc) and you have to pay for a great coach. And I think $20M a year or whatever it would take for a top HC is not a lot of money for these big money owners. I truly think money is not going to be the issue in who the next HC is.

Different question....for the pro Belicheck crowd, how would you feel if Kraft was saavy enough not to fire him and required a first round pick for him? Change your mind?

TG
                    If Hoodie is worth top dollar, he's worth a first round compensation imho.
                    2024: Far From Over

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

If Belly wants to reclaim his personal legacy, he'll know how to rub the lamp so it puffs smoke. he could wrap Lil John into a delusion that Johnny is suddenly getting better at his job, even. he's a clever motherfucker and he doesn't say impolite shit to the press ever. he says nothing, always.

The question is - does Belly have that burn to return to the top?
                      Quick.
                      Someone create a Hoodie montage that includes racing Carl Weathers at the beach!
                      2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

The only 3 inexperienced head coaches I wouldn’t mind seen given a shot are Ben Johnson, Frank Smith and good ol Bisaccia. I think Frank Smith would be my number 1 choice out of them.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          BetterToday ThanYesterday
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I have always liked Biasaccia and he was on the head coach list around the time he was charger ST coach. I think what he did with Raiders in 2020 was phenomenal
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X