• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

You mean the interception the play after Everett dropped a touchdown pass - which would have tied the game
    Yes, that's the one. Would have been a tough catch for Everett. Makeable but tough

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post

JCJ is balling now in NE.
      Wow...just...wow...Stale Staley tried to fit PREMIER press corner JCJ into Staley's zone D...RIGHT when we are starting to play more man D...Staley and Bolts making all the WRONG moves...

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

I also think besides a below average OL in run blocking - the running backs just might not be good enough either
        Sort of disagree. Without a push the RB can only do so much. Now if we had a bigger stronger back he may gain and extra
        yard so instead of gaining 2-2.5 yards maybe 3-3.5 yards. But that's still not a very good gain on 1st or 2nd down. The main
        issue is the blocking not the RBs. We simply cannot run between the tackles. Better scheme to stretch the D horizontally is
        needed or get O line guys that can push the D around.

Watch the Eagles O line. They push the D line guys back so their backs gain 4 yards instead of 2-2.5. You think their RB is
        better than Ekeler, I don't.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

A lousy defense that in his head, he knows he has to score points almost every time they get the ball....

that said - where I see Herbert needs to improve

maybe the check down process

maybe a bit more touch on his passes

like you said, he has a good arm, but maybe not risk throws

that being said, he is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't because we all see it, the defense sucks
          so if he turns the ball over because he is aggressive -- or if he takes an incomplete,. the ball is still going to the other team

what would help Herbert the most is a good defense. Not great - just good. Staley has failed him
          Reminds me a bit of Rivers forcing the rock into coverage for picks...because our D was so bad...hero ball...the similarities are striking...

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Sort of disagree. Without a push the RB can only do so much. Now if we had a bigger stronger back he may gain and extra
            yard so instead of gaining 2-2.5 yards maybe 3-3.5 yards. But that's still not a very good gain on 1st or 2nd down. The main
            issue is the blocking not the RBs. We simply cannot run between the tackles. Better scheme to stretch the D horizontally is
            needed or get O line guys that can push the D around.

Watch the Eagles O line. They push the D line guys back so their backs gain 4 yards instead of 2-2.5. You think their RB is
            better than Ekeler, I don't.
            Tough call. This year Swift is running better than Ekler, great moves and very elusive and he is no slouch in the passing game. He was slowed by injuries before and playing for bad Detroit teams. When it comes to Swift and Ekler...that was then..this is now.

Though Swift is getting holes paying behind the best o line in football, Ekler is not
            Last edited by CanadianBoltFan; 10-25-2023, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Tough call. This year Swift is running better than Ekler, great moves and very elusive and he is no slouch in the passing game. He was slowed by injuries before and playing for bad Detroit teams. When it comes to Swift and Ekler...that was then..this is now.
              Does this mean that Ekkie might need to lower his expectations of his value in the FA market?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Does this mean that Ekkie might need to lower his expectations of his value in the FA market?
                Its not all his fault his numbers will be down this year
                injury, OLine, etc

But he was also smart to ask for the money when he did when his numbers were pretty dang high. I never blamed him for asking and I never blamed the Chargers for taking a wait and see approach

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Probably. Ek's numbers are down but Chargers run YPG is up. We were #30 in '22, #16 now.

Weird that two major points we needed to improve, Run D and run O, we needed average or better and they are.
                  Now we declined in pass O and pass D. Get it together Chargers!

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Probably. Ek's numbers are down but Chargers run YPG is up. We were #30 in '22, #16 now.

Weird that two major points we needed to improve, Run D and run O, we needed average or better and they are.
                    Now we declined in pass O and pass D. Get it together Chargers!
                    The better run offense is due to playing the Dolphins and some long runs. We still cannot run between the tackles, those
                    problems are still there. Stats are deceiving. They do not tell the whole story.

Run D is better though. Bad pass D is due to Staley. Our DBs are not great, but they are not that bad either. Scheme is terrible.

Pass O will probably come around once we play bad teams like last year. We were not good against good D teams last year.
                    Same as this year. Except this year we've played better D teams thus far. Problems vary from not handling blitzes, to route
                    running taking to long and Herbert not progressing.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      JH3 and Me
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post

They are doing their best to win...yes I agree. Just need the right
                      1. Owner
                      2. Staff
                      Starts at the top

When HC talks "fluff" at the podium. Owner should say, "That's BS, B Staley. Tell the truth!"
                      podium fluff is irrelevant. I've heard a hundred coaches and I honestly believe there is zero correlation between podium pablum vs candid transparency and team performance. When Bellycheat was at the apex of his success, he said absolutely nothing of value at the podium ever. Everyone is different, wants to hear different things. I personally prefer that my coach says nothing of substantive value - nothing is gained by the team if a coach tell actual hard facts on deficiencies or problems, it can only arm opponents.

Our owner isn't going anywhere, lets hope their future selections succeed. Even blind squirrels should eventually trip on an acorn, or so we'd hope. I'd say they are overdue. I'm 100% convinced they want to win, not only do I see the pain / embarrassment in their faces, they gain no financial benefit from losing. Winning franchises are worth more money so its just bad business to lose. I do think they operate under a lower cash flow situation than the richest owners and are at a structural disadvantage. Team profit (Cash flow - expenses) pays their life and lifestyle, it is their only income. Thats just not true of the rich owners. This is the reality we live under, might as well complain about the weather.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Berserker76
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

podium fluff is irrelevant. I've heard a hundred coaches and I honestly believe there is zero correlation between podium pablum vs candid transparency and team performance. When Bellycheat was at the apex of his success, he said absolutely nothing of value at the podium ever. Everyone is different, wants to hear different things. I personally prefer that my coach says nothing of substantive value - nothing is gained by the team if a coach tell actual hard facts on deficiencies or problems, it can only arm opponents.

Our owner isn't going anywhere, lets hope their future selections succeed. Even blind squirrels should eventually trip on an acorn, or so we'd hope. I'd say they are overdue. I'm 100% convinced they want to win, not only do I see the pain / embarrassment in their faces, they gain no financial benefit from losing. Winning franchises are worth more money so its just bad business to lose. I do think they operate under a lower cash flow situation than the richest owners and are at a structural disadvantage. Team profit (Cash flow - expenses) pays their life and lifestyle, it is their only income. Thats just not true of the rich owners. This is the reality we live under, might as well complain about the weather.
                        "Even blind squirrels should eventually trip on an acorn...", That's gold, dmac, gold!

Comment

• jox g
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2020
                          • Send PM

If you Google "Chargers rumors," a bunch of sites come up for reading. One of them states that a Chargers insider says they may trade Ekeler (and get draft capital) before the deadline. Any of you seen this? Kelly is averaging 4.4. Ek 4.3 this (his final year of contract). Elijah Dotson is pretty good. Jarret Patterson on the Squad is a steal. Darius Davis used to play some RB in HS I believe. Blake Lynch (signed today) used to play RB, WR, S, LB. Depth is there.

Oh yeah Spiller .....Notice how I mention him LAST (even behind a Linebacker in Lynch). Can they nickname Blake "Marshawn?" - could be good mojo

A trade could be good for team chemistry at this point (improve it). Bolts need it. Can still go 9-8 with or w/o Ek with high draft capital.

Whether gone this year or next, thanks for the service #30!

Comment

Working...
                          X