• Show
Clear All
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

First two games are not an indication of Lombardi's first year. Herbert threw for over 5000 yards and 38 TDs that year. Best year for Herbert to date by far.

We're going to have to wait for Moore. First game Miami gave us the run and we took it. Second game we couldn't run and Moore went for the pass.
    Neither game has set any kind of standard for this offensive identity. It looks to me that Moore is going to take what the defense gives him.

Question is going to be when the tough gets going is Moore innovative enough in his play calling. Clearly Lombardi wasn't and that was his downfall.
    So far in situations where we needed the offense to win the game, in particular against the Titans we have failed. I'm not going to go there with Miami,
    except to say we did have the ball last with 1:45 to go in Q4.
    That and Lombo's playbook is more like a light reading pamphlet. Norv had more screen plays in his playbook than Lombo had in his entire one.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
      Guyton is not a reason any O will succeed or tank. 3rd worst in the league at getting off the LOS means like 8 out of 10 times he lines up he’s a non-factor. A lot of bottom of the roster WRs have this issue, not really a thing, just reality.
      Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
      You're right but I can't help but wonder what a defense would do if we put Guyton, QJ, and DD in at WR on the same play?

blueman Guyton may or may not be the reason the offense has success, but I think you might be underestimating what his pure speed does do for the passing game. He is the only WR that can blow by DBs with pure speed and he is really good at tracking and bringing in the kind of deep balls Herbert throws. It gives the opposing defense one more thing to think about. DD has that speed too, but he's a rookie and it may be some time before you see him out there running under a Herbert 65 yard pass downfield.

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

You made fantastic points. But the negative Nancy's want to point out Herbert's best 2 games under Lombo vs his first games under Moore (with no preseason I might add).
        There is no negative Nancy's. We have not yet seen Moore offense for a whole season as a Charger. Two games tells us very little to nothing. Look at the difference between
        games 1 and 2. Complete opposite in terms of what worked for the offense. The numbers for Herbert under Lombardi in his first year are there. Those are just the facts. Look
        them up.

But I regress, it doesn't really matter if Herbert has his best year under Lombardi or Moore. What counts is the W-L record. That takes a whole team not just an OC and a QB.

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

There is no negative Nancy's. We have not yet seen Moore offense for a whole season as a Charger. Two games tells us very little to nothing. Look at the difference between
          games 1 and 2. Complete opposite in terms of what worked for the offense. The numbers for Herbert under Lombardi in his first year are there. Those are just the facts. Look
          them up.

But I regress, it doesn't really matter if Herbert has his best year under Lombardi or Moore. What counts is the W-L record. That takes a whole team not just an OC and a QB.
          If no negative Nacys then I will say, escaped mental patients. No sane or serious person would compare a new offense and coordinator in its first 2 games to anything. I mean I just can't take that criticism seriously.

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

If no negative Nacys then I will say, escaped mental patients. No sane or serious person would compare a new offense and coordinator in its first 2 games to anything. I mean I just can't take that criticism seriously.
            Sorry but isn't that exactly what I said? Who criticized Moore's offense? I've seen nothing put praise after just 2 games. Even comparing Herbert's first two games with Moore
            against Lombardi. Don't you find that ridiculous? And you want to talk about mental patients?

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

You're right but I can't help but wonder what a defense would do if we put Guyton, QJ, and DD in at WR on the same play?
              Jam them all at the LOS. Why you’ll never see it…

Comment

• cmplxgal
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • New Jersey
                • Send PM

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

And if one misses their jam or doesnt get a good one, a wide open reciever for 6.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

And if one misses their jam or doesnt get a good one, a wide open reciever for 6.
                    They are wide open regardless so might as well jam them

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

I doubt they could successfully keep all three of them from getting free. When a DB tries to jam a WR, it ends up with a WR running deep and a DB trying to catch up.

I remember reading two years ago that Guyton was learning how to avoid jams at the los from KA. Of course, he had the knee problem last year so we haven't seen how much he learned.

I suspect a fast guy like DD will be hard to slow down too, and QJ has a size advantage on most DBs.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Not with 8 guys rushing the pocket.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • New Jersey
                          • Send PM

Comment

Working...
                          X