• Show
Clear All
  • CanadianBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2022
    • White Rock, BC Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    One man's opinion but I thought Popper was out of line with Staley. I can appreciate aggressive journalism when there's an apparent purpose or intention, but imo he was just trolling.

Here's my suggestion to The Athletic:

Hi, I'm a frustrated Chargers fan. We're 0-2. What's worse is that our beat writer Daniel Popper thinks it's appropriate to ask our head coach useless, provoking questions without a genuine reporting interest. I only subscribe to read his writings on the team. If anyone values my subscription and perhaps a few other subscribers that share my sentiment, please be aware that my cancellation will be directly due to another unprofessional Popper shot at Staley. I don't need another distraction, from a media member making things more difficult for Staley. I'm sure Daniel feels he bought himself a bit of credibility among the drones of Staley-haters, and perhaps he did, but imo it was classless and unnecessary. Please ask Popper to do better. Sincerely
    I could not possibly disagree with you more. Charger fans are lucky to have a beat writer like Popper. Not only is he more knowledgable about football than most writers, he is the only reporter who asks hard questions, the questions MOST of us want to hear.

It is high time this loser head coach was held accountable and asked some tough questions.

He was hired as a defensive coach but for 3 years his defense has been league worst embarrassing. He is in over his head and makes poor decisions and cant make adjustments in game. Worst he is wasting Justin Herbert.

I for one am totally sick of Staley and his little coach speak every week when the guy cant coach. I hope his seat is sizzling hot and he gets all snippy when he gets asked accountable questions every week. The jacksonville question was fine, that is a storyline around the NFL whether you like it or not. The team hasnt won a game since and his defense has still been a sieve.

I subscribe to the Athletic largely so I can read Popper.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

Popper is a 100% bad ass. Love that guy

And I'm not a Staley hater. I like Staley, but Popper is asking questions that need to be asked.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Two games last night on MNF. Saints and Steelers. Two teams over the last 15 years - won a Super Bowl each; were competitive, Saints are in cap hell every year; Steelers managed around Big Ben
        and yet with Mickey Loomis, Kevin Colbert and now Omar Khan as GMs for the respective teams. Coaches were Payton to Allen and of course Tomlin, there is a consistency to their programs

The defenses - players change but results are the same. ESpecially in Pittsburgh

and this is something Telesco has never been on the same page as his coach. Hell the same book. The defenses are inconsisent and never an identity. 4-3, 3-4; whatever the hell staley plays two DT, Bosa and Mack, two LBs, 5 DBs

whatever it is - its just a bunch of players thrown together from what I can tell

The Chargers supposedly hired a defensive guy and he stinks at it. So between substandard player personnel and a terrible Defensive coach - the results are the results
        The difference in those teams is they are built to play physical football. They emphasize the Dline (and Oline in new orleans) and if you have good lines you're not so dependent on elite QB play. Telesco would rather draft undersized safeties and gadget players than build a physical football team.

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The nFl is accusing g the NFLPA of encouraging RBs to sit out if they are anything short of 100%.

Not saying Ekeler is doing this but he’s played through injury before.
          That's fine.

Only devalues the RB position even further.

On a side note, can we please stop signing 30+ year old LBs???
          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
            Daniel Popper is coming accross as a snarky NY beat writer right now.
            If Staley doesn't have the required thick skin to take some "snarky" questions, then he certainly doesn't have the guts to take an 0-2 team to the playoffs (only 11% have made it since 1990).

This means going AT LEAST 10-5 over the remaining very difficult part of the schedule.

Yeah, Popper isn't the problem here.
            ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Im not worried about these questions...and not worried about Staleys reaction...in fact, Im encouraged...he should be pissed, at himself, his staff, and the players...I hope the whole team is pissed off and frustrated...the way we turn this thing around is to pick up a big ol' chip, put it on our shoulders, and go looking for some payback...(in a disciplned fashion, of course)

Angry Coach Staley is one we have not seen...and maybe just what this team needs...

Ya'll can fantasize all you want about the next HC and/or GM...but if it happens, it wont be this year...my interest is in THIS season, until we are mathematically eliminated...
              Completely agree, on everything.

And to those who didn't hear the question it was something to the affect of the Jacksonville playoff loss and whether or not it has carried over. It was right after the Titans loss and really nothing to do with this game or this season. As the teams beat writer Popper has done a great job overall and has managed to stay objective and professional but it really sounded to me like he was just intentionally baiting him.
              I just don't think it helps anyone and I wish the focus was more on this season rather than last or next season.
              Darius "4.36" Davis
              top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP Magic Number 1

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Completely agree, on everything.

And to those who didn't hear the question it was something to the affect of the Jacksonville playoff loss and whether or not it has carried over. It was right after the Titans loss and really nothing to do with this game or this season. As the teams beat writer Popper has done a great job overall and has managed to stay objective and professional but it really sounded to me like he was just intentionally baiting him.
                I just don't think it helps anyone and I wish the focus was more on this season rather than last or next season.
                Well that should be an easy answer for Staley. If it seems to get under Staley’s skin, that’s a different problem.

my opinion on Popper was that he acted like an extension of Chargers PR and didn’t ask any tough questions. I’d rather he ask why Staley can’t get a defense to limit explosive plays or close out games.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

I’m not a baseball fan but I have friends and family who are big Padres fans and it seems like we are very similar. A team loaded on paper that doesn’t play up to its ability and woefully underachieves. Huge payroll on a handful of “stars” and no results.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

The difference in those teams is they are built to play physical football. They emphasize the Dline (and Oline in new orleans) and if you have good lines you're not so dependent on elite QB play. Telesco would rather draft undersized safeties and gadget players than build a physical football team.
                    they both are organizations who understand how to build rosters and not just put players together that look good individually and can't play well together

combined with sub-standard coaches.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

If Staley doesn't have the required thick skin to take some "snarky" questions, then he certainly doesn't have the guts to take an 0-2 team to the playoffs (only 11% have made it since 1990).

This means going AT LEAST 10-5 over the remaining very difficult part of the schedule.

Yeah, Popper isn't the problem here.
                      There are problems on more than one level.

From the beginning, Popper has made it clear he is not a Chargers fan. He previously had gigs in Jacksonville and New York City.

Discretion is in order here. This is exactly the hot button issue that is front and center. Staley is trying to keep the team together.

I am not impressed by Popper's ability to ask tough questions persistently in NYC style. We need him to sustain inside access. He could have asked the question in private, or in a tactful manner.

Everyone is amped up out of disappointment and saying things. Now is the time to be smart.

Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

There are problems on more than one level.

From the beginning, Popper has made it clear he is not a Chargers fan. He previously had gigs in Jacksonville and New York City.

Discretion is in order here. This is exactly the hot button issue that is front and center. Staley is trying to keep the team together.

I am not impressed by Popper's ability to ask tough questions persistently in NYC style. We need him to sustain inside access. He could have asked the question in private, or in a tactful manner.

Yeah I mean he could have asked about the playoffs or better yet what he thought about the Titans.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2022
                          • White Rock, BC Canada
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Well that should be an easy answer for Staley. If it seems to get under Staley’s skin, that’s a different problem.

my opinion on Popper was that he acted like an extension of Chargers PR and didn’t ask any tough questions. I’d rather he ask why Staley can’t get a defense to limit explosive plays or close out games.
                          He basically has and Staley got snippy after week 1. Popper asked him something to the effect of why in year 3 of this defense do the players not get it and your defense cant play better ?

Comment

Working...
                          X