• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Emotional revenge win, lol. If that’s their season, good.

Comment

• Air Coryell
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2021
      • Carlsbad, CA
      • Teacher, Coach, CFO
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
      Dan Quinn is the real defensive guru, ripe for the picking to be a Head Coach next year. Fastest way to fix Charger defense!

Y'all scoffed at me last week when I posted Tyrek Hill as Charger killer. Who's laughing now?

Best thing to happen in Charger land during Staley era is building a solid OL to protect Herbert.

Secondary is still playing sub-par, DL lacks star power and edge rushers way underachieving for investments made. Is it scheme? Or players just too often injured or over the hill?

Linebacker position has been mismanaged ever since Telesco blew draft capital to trade up into first round for Murray. They've let two inexpensive, highly productive players walk Kyzir White and Drue Tranquil. Investing a ton in Kendricks and 3rd on undersized Henley, results to be determined, imo not the greatest projection/replacements for costs associated.

If anything, I feel Staley reaching and struggling to implement his scheme after four years. Being under the gun now doesn't help. Some are born to be coordinators only, if you don't have elite leadership to align in talent acquisitions and evaluations, we have a problem. Best case 9-8.
      I also like D Quinn. Has great experence.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Dan Quinn is the real defensive guru, ripe for the picking to be a Head Coach next year. Fastest way to fix Charger defense!

Y'all scoffed at me last week when I posted Tyrek Hill as Charger killer. Who's laughing now?

Best thing to happen in Charger land during Staley era is building a solid OL to protect Herbert.

Secondary is still playing sub-par, DL lacks star power and edge rushers way underachieving for investments made. Is it scheme? Or players just too often injured or over the hill?

Linebacker position has been mismanaged ever since Telesco blew draft capital to trade up into first round for Murray. They've let two inexpensive, highly productive players walk Kyzir White and Drue Tranquil. Investing a ton in Kendricks and 3rd on undersized Henley, results to be determined, imo not the greatest projection/replacements for costs associated.

If anything, I feel Staley reaching and struggling to implement his scheme after four years. Being under the gun now doesn't help. Some are born to be coordinators only, if you don't have elite leadership to align in talent acquisitions and evaluations, we have a problem. Best case 9-8.
        I don't agree about Tranquill and he isn't playing much in KC....as in zero last week. Rather of gave Kendricks 6 mil per than Tranquill.
        Henley we'll see but shows promise but agree, we need better LBs.
        Don't know what Staley is smoking saying Murray played winning football Sunday unless he meant winning for Miami.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by colorado View Post
          By the end of the season the Chargers will have played 11 games on artifical turf compared to 6 games on grass not incl. Playoff if we get there. I'm not an artifical turf fan.

The only way I at this moment see Tua failing is if waddle and Hill both get injured. Who has the speed on defense to match up one on one? We didnt.
          Anything can be taken away by a clever D coordinator, even Waddle / Hill. The question is what other aspects of the defense get compromised to do so? And is that compromised aspect a lesser risk than letting W/H run free?

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

True.
            NE is constructed in a different manner.
            They will present different challenges for Tua.
            They won't make bonehead mistakes . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I don't agree about Tranquill and he isn't playing much in KC....as in zero last week. Rather of gave Kendricks 6 mil per than Tranquill.
              Henley we'll see but shows promise but agree, we need better LBs.
              Don't know what Staley is smoking saying Murray played winning football Sunday unless he meant winning for Miami.
              Murray was quite literally the worst ranked defensive player on the squad in last weeks game - per PFF. I don't completely buy into their ratings and analysis because IMO they usually don't pass the eye test, but I think it's pretty safe to say he didn't play 'winning football' last week.

Staley's drinking his bathwater if that is an actual quote . . . . . . . . . . . . . . kind of like his statements after the Jville game; 'I felt like we coached at a high level'. I think he meant to say they were coaching high - THAT would make more sense . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• SK21209
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2020
                • San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

I also like D Quinn. Has great experence.
                Dan Quinn is a great defensive coordinator but was not a good head coach in Atlanta. The one year they made the Super Bowl was the one year they actually had a good defense, the rest of his Falcons teams were very mediocre. I'll pass on Quinn as a Staley replacement.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post

Dan Quinn is a great defensive coordinator but was not a good head coach in Atlanta. The one year they made the Super Bowl was the one year they actually had a good defense, the rest of his Falcons teams were very mediocre. I'll pass on Quinn as a Staley replacement.
                  I don't know. I think experience is a valuable tool to have and he will be better prepared in his second go around as head coach than the first time. He has had a chance to step back, evaluate what he did right and wrong. I think he makes for a very intriguing candidate - if it gets to that point. Also worked with Kellen Moore and if the offense succeeds - be nice to keep some continuity for Herbert

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Two years and one game. Vs Mia he was brilliant last year, POS this year. Staley and Moore both got their asses kicked when it counted vs Mia this past Sunday. We were out coached in a first game two pt loss. It'll take a few more before I can buy into 9-8.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Two years and one game. Vs Mia he was brilliant last year, POS this year. Staley and Moore both got their asses kicked when it counted vs Mia this past Sunday. We were out coached in a first game two pt loss. It'll take a few more before I can buy into 9-8.
                      You said "Vs Mia he was brilliant last year". I disagree. Tua was terrible that day, and extremely inaccurate. It wasn't our brilliant coaching, it was a QB having a bad game.

Staley's defense hasn't impressed me in any game since he's been our HC. I want him to succeed so badly I can almost taste it, but he looks more and more like another first-time coach who's over his head. The "Peter Principle" at work before our very eyes.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Riverwalk
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

There is no universe I would compare Moore and Staley’s coaching versus Miami.

Moore had one bad set of downs but dominated Miami’s defense the rest of the game.

Staley’s defense sucked from start to finish.

Every NFL pundit graded Moore’s offense an improvement over last year while unanimously pointing out Staley’s schemes were a disaster.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

So good to have Slater back:

Comment

Working...
                          X