• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charger1_sj
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Why is Bosa that good? Where is the evidence? The production? Time and again, after a "decent" season here, or flashing for a few games there, he disappears, often due to injury...been that way his whole career. Ill grant you he is a good run defender, but Im still waiting to see all the hype about him and Mack together...Im off that hype train, and sitting at the whistlestop, until I see something worth boarding for...

Edit: By the way...past 5 yrs, he is 24th in sacks...yea, he has fewer games than some of the guys ahead of him, but still not top 10, and probably edging past his prime
    Both Bosa and Mack should be playing DE, not OLB. For starters we don't have a true NT to play the 3/4. Using Mack/Bosa to cover on some passing downs borders
    ridiculous. Just let them go after the QB and not worry about dropping in coverage and LB assignments. With that said we'd have to revert to the 4/3 and currently
    we do not have the LBs to do so. But Mack/Bosa would be more effective as DEs.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
      Let's do this!
      • Aug 2022
      • Raleigh N. Carolina
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Joey Bosa only just turned 28. He should still have plenty of juice left. His career is being totally eclipsed by his younger brother. Hopefully that motivates him to get back to being the Joey Bosa who was DROY in 2016.
      "Bosa is the easiest to knock off hit feet"

- The SOFI Turf Monster

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Why is Bosa that good? Where is the evidence? The production? Time and again, after a "decent" season here, or flashing for a few games there, he disappears, often due to injury...been that way his whole career. Ill grant you he is a good run defender, but Im still waiting to see all the hype about him and Mack together...Im off that hype train, and sitting at the whistlestop, until I see something worth boarding for...
        1 game. Bosa got his ass kicked. Spent too much time on the ground. Mack was better but not by a lot. With them getting most of the attention and double teams, where were the IDL, LBs?
        Mostly I saw it as Staley getting his ass kicked by McDaniel, Tua and Hill. We weren't well prepared, they were.
        To top it off, Fangio kicked Moore and Herbert's asses in the final minutes when we had the ball and a chance to win, to finish the game Mia 36- LAC 34.
        We were outcoached in game 1.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Serious question - if Bosa sucks and is not worth the money and we need to get rid of him, why would any team take on that salary and give up picks in order to do so?
          Well this year, they would only be taking on teh veteran minimum. Its next year you have to worry about - or if he gets injured.

this applies to Mack, Williams and Allen as well...

Comment

• colorado
            Fan since '62
            • Jun 2023
            • Desert Rat
            • Nothing but time on my hands
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

What if Coach Moore started adding fast motion to the pre-snap sequencing for WRs like Johnston, Davis, for example, to put them on rail routes? It would stretch their safeties toward the boundary. Then, attack the middle of the field.
            Then that's what he needs to do. Miami's not the only ones who can do that

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Mack is signed through the end of 2024 season. Bosa is signed thru the end of 2025, though we do have an OUT on his deal after this season:

image.png​
              The thing with Mack Allen, Bosa and Williams - since all of their contracts were structured how they were - all are playing on the veterans minimum this season

So, if this thing goes sideways and the Chargers are like a 2 or 3 win team at the deadline - they should try to trade all four plus Ekeler to get value back. Releasing players doesn't get you anything back. Ekeler is a little different - but they can pay his salary and possibly get back a higher pick than figuring out that comp pick stuff.

Now the teams trading for them would have to worry about injury and next years contract. But in some cases, maybe they jsut want the player for the stretch and playoffs for this year.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The thing with Mack Allen, Bosa and Williams - since all of their contracts were structured how they were - all are playing on the veterans minimum this season

So, if this thing goes sideways and the Chargers are like a 2 or 3 win team at the deadline - they should try to trade all four plus Ekeler to get value back. Releasing players doesn't get you anything back. Ekeler is a little different - but they can pay his salary and possibly get back a higher pick than figuring out that comp pick stuff.

Now the teams trading for them would have to worry about injury and next years contract. But in some cases, maybe they jsut want the player for the stretch and playoffs for this year.
                I wouldn't want to trade all four...depending on how well he's producing, I MIGHT consider trading Bosa if we could get a first round pick for him...maybe...but I'd prefer not to trade anyone, and see where we're at by the end of the season...who knows? Maybe Staley surprises us...

Comment

• colorado
                  Fan since '62
                  • Jun 2023
                  • Desert Rat
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
                  This is the problem with paying these mega big buck guaranteed contracts. What happens when players aren't even close to what they are getting paid? There's no way they are gonna pay Joey $36 million next year. He is not paid for and we would be better off just eating the $22 mil and moving on. Better to spend $14 mil on younger better players. This problem will be a case study on what not to do with guaranteed money with these football players. JC Jackson and Bosa will change the landscape for guaranteed money just like the failure of RBs to sustain their viability. Get paid and then checkout!
                  If the players you are talking about, younger and better for 14 mil, they'll already be gone playing for someone else by the time it gets to us trying to find them.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I wouldn't want to trade all four...depending on how well he's producing, I MIGHT consider trading Bosa if we could get a first round pick for him...maybe...but I'd prefer not to trade anyone, and see where we're at by the end of the season...who knows? Maybe Staley surprises us...
                    I doubt he would get you a first though Von got the Broncos a 2/3 - so thats pretty good. Granted, Bosa was also never as good as Von Miller so maybe a 3/5 is more in line with his ability

My hope is the team is not 2-6 at the deadline - But at worst 5-3 or 6-2. That said, if they are 2-6 - they should be open for business.....because this group of players will show what they are.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by colorado View Post

If the players you are talking about, younger and better for 14 mil, they'll already be gone playing for someone else by the time it gets to us trying to find them.
                      It's not that I think there's a drop-in replacement for a Bosa-like player it's just that he may never regain his play making status that he had 5 years ago when healthy. I'm just saying better to spend the money across the board strengthening our defense than just dumping more money down the drain. At this point we still don't know if Bosa is going to drastically improve as the season goes on so I'm on the sidelines until we know for sure his status.
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

It's not that I think there's a drop-in replacement for a Bosa-like player it's just that he may never regain his play making status that he had 5 years ago when healthy. I'm just saying better to spend the money across the board strengthening our defense than just dumping more money down the drain. At this point we still don't know if Bosa is going to drastically improve as the season goes on so I'm on the sidelines until we know for sure his status.
                        Sunday against TN is not a must win game but its a pretty good idea to win. Minnesota and Raiders before the bye. Dallas and KC after the by with I think the Bears and Jets right at the trade deadline.

8 games of the schedule - the team will be the team by that time. Hoping for 5-3 or better!

Comment

• colorado
                          Fan since '62
                          • Jun 2023
                          • Desert Rat
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

2016 seems like a life time ago
                          It was

Comment

Working...