• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    JH3 and Me
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    I get the sentiment but imho there's an overall psychological advantage of being perceived as dominant/cut-throat/invincible.
    You can literally scare opponents into making mistakes, Mike Tyson made a career of it!
    Last few seasons, KC has been scaring defenses into mistakes weekly, including our own.
    I'm all for dominating and stepping on opponents afterwards.
    sure we want to secure the win before beating our chest, no one would argue otherwise, but if we can dominant and create an identity around an invincible aura, I'm all for it.
    no risk it no biscuit.
    thats a valid point. I don't want Staley settling in to try and grind out 1-point win by just milking clock and not trying to score more. NFL is too uncertain to be comfortable unless its actually comfortable - fortunately his last OC just tried that approach and it blew up, i suspect that lesson is still fresh. I am thinking 3 scores up in Q4 is when strategy changes. and it still depends on the opponent. I keep going if its KC, I let up if its TEN. I just don't want reckless dogpiling at the end of closed out games that results in an unnecessary injury that hurts the team rolling forward. I also would like to see him utilize garbage time to get backups some real-game reps, you don't know when that might be invaluable until its too late to prepare. Smart football, but convincing football.

If we create an aura of invincibility, that'd be awesome. last team I recall like that was the 85 Bears. maybe the 49er team that pulled our jocks over our ears. Very few. I don't know any team has that today. KC doesn't have that imo.

LFG!
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• SuperCharged
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Utah
      • Midnight Toker
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

thats a valid point. I don't want Staley settling in to try and grind out 1-point win by just milking clock and not trying to score more. NFL is too uncertain to be comfortable unless its actually comfortable - fortunately his last OC just tried that approach and it blew up, i suspect that lesson is still fresh. I am thinking 3 scores up in Q4 is when strategy changes. and it still depends on the opponent. I keep going if its KC, I let up if its TEN. I just don't want reckless dogpiling at the end of closed out games that results in an unnecessary injury that hurts the team rolling forward. I also would like to see him utilize garbage time to get backups some real-game reps, you don't know when that might be invaluable until its too late to prepare. Smart football, but convincing football.

If we create an aura of invincibility, that'd be awesome. last team I recall like that was the 85 Bears. maybe the 49er team that pulled our jocks over our ears. Very few. I don't know any team has that today. KC doesn't have that imo.

LFG!
      I think we all know now and I hope the revamped coaching staff realizes no lead is safe. You can't just try and kill the clock with obvious runs. run run pass = way to many 3 n outs. The offense runs through our best player on the field. Herbert. Step on their necks with more play action. Keep freaking attacking them down the field.

Comment

• SuperCharged
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Utah
        • Midnight Toker
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
        2019 report? We're a little different from that team.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
          I get the sentiment but imho there's an overall psychological advantage of being perceived as dominant/cut-throat/invincible.
          You can literally scare opponents into making mistakes, Mike Tyson made a career of it!
          Last few seasons, KC has been scaring defenses into mistakes weekly, including our own.
          I'm all for dominating and stepping on opponents afterwards.
          sure we want to secure the win before beating our chest, no one would argue otherwise, but if we can dominant and create an identity around an invincible aura, I'm all for it.
          no risk it no biscuit.
          ^ This...I've been banging the table on this point for years...first, it was Martyball...later, it was Mikeyball...then, it was Rivers and Heroball..., then it was Lynn and Blunderball with a Picket Fence...last season, it was Lomboball...all of these are variations of the same philosophy of going conservative in the second half even when we have a slim lead, then desperately trying to claw ourselves back the final 3 minutes or so...well, how'd that work out for us in the Jags playoff game? Had a BIG lead and still lost...in football, I've seen way too many comebacks to know full well u can never score enough points...we should be pedal to the metal on our O ALL 4 QUARTERS, BABY! When the opposing team is down, KICK 'EM!!!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            JH3 and Me
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

^ This...I've been banging the table on this point for years...first, it was Martyball...later, it was Mikeyball...then, it was Rivers and Heroball..., then it was Lynn and Blunderball with a Picket Fence...last season, it was Lomboball...all of these are variations of the same philosophy of going conservative in the second half even when we have a slim lead, then desperately trying to claw ourselves back the final 3 minutes or so...well, how'd that work out for us in the Jags playoff game? Had a BIG lead and still lost...in football, I've seen way too many comebacks to know full well u can never score enough points...we should be pedal to the metal on our O ALL 4 QUARTERS, BABY! When the opposing team is down, KICK 'EM!!!
            you seem very excited

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

you seem very excited
              Appropos to the time and occasion. I like it.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                JH3 and Me
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Appropos to the time and occasion. I like it.
                the second day of rookie camp is an occasion? ok.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

the second day of rookie camp is an occasion? ok.
                  We cheer the toddlers when they take their 1st steps, don't we?

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

you seem very excited
                    Normally I'm kind of laid back, but when it comes to Charger football, there are few things more frustrating than watching all that talent we have--Herbie, Slayer, Mike Will, Ekkie, an improved O-line, Bosa, Mack, Derwin, etc...all that talent WASTED by inexplicable blunders by both coaches and players...

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Normally I'm kind of laid back, but when it comes to Charger football, there are few things more frustrating than watching all that talent we have--Herbie, Slayer, Mike Will, Ekkie, an improved O-line, Bosa, Mack, Derwin, etc...all that talent WASTED by inexplicable blunders by both coaches and players...
                      I didn't get to see the 2022 team screw up as much as not play. Want to see them on the field together with Moore pulling the strings on O.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        JH3 and Me
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

when did the coaches waste all of that talent? I red-fonted the talent that was not available or played degraded/injured for most to all of last season, rough calculation is 60% of the talent you listed was not full strength and/or available for much to all of the year .

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

when did the coaches waste all of that talent? I red-fonted the talent that was not available or played degraded/injured for most to all of last season, rough calculation is 60% of the talent you listed was not full strength and/or available for much to all of the year .
                          Fair point...well, they wasted the REST of them...

Comment

Working...
                          X