• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charger1_sj
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    If you review this team's picks since TT became our GM you will see that he always takes BPA at PON. So far, I don't think he's failed to do that.

I think this could be the year that he goes simply BPA, depending on which players we get signed and released before the draft. However, because of the salary cap, it's likely that the moves between now and the draft will leave at least one PON and I'd expect TT to get someone to fill that hole in the roster in the first round. So, that leaves out everyone's favorite RB. If they lose Pipkins, it may even be another OT. I know that will upset many of you but that's how our GM does the draft.
    Hard to say what PON is at this point. We'd have to wait until March, when the cap situation is in better focus. Tranquill, Pipkins, and Van Noy are all UFA's.
    Some people think Allen is on the chopping block. Bosa on the trading block. Mack on the restructure/release block, etc.

Comment

• rensoul
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2023
      • Send PM

If you review this team's picks since TT became our GM you will see that he always takes BPA at PON. So far, I don't think he's failed to do that.

I think this could be the year that he goes simply BPA, depending on which players we get signed and released before the draft. However, because of the salary cap, it's likely that the moves between now and the draft will leave at least one PON and I'd expect TT to get someone to fill that hole in the roster in the first round. So, that leaves out everyone's favorite RB. If they lose Pipkins, it may even be another OT. I know that will upset many of you but that's how our GM does the draft.
      With the huge amount of cap room/OL needs some other teams have, I could see the team getting out-bid for Pipkins. Some players are going to get funny money this off-season.

If that happens I'd expect to see an RT drafted in the first 3 rounds.

Comment

• rensoul
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Foster sarrelll should be OT#4 going into 2023 behind slater, pipkins, and a day 2 pick…but we can also start salyer at OT in a pinch if needed instead of sarrell...I still think sarrell makes the roster but he shouldn’t see the field next year unless a lot of people got hurt…now if they don’t re-sign pipkins sarrell could be in the mix at some point due to injuries…if that comes to pass, my hope is that he’ll have improved a lot this offseason…
        Sarell was really bad this past season but perhaps they see something in him where he could develop into a serviceable player in the future.

I wonder more about what's going on with Jaimes? On whether or not he's just a bust or there is something going on with him. His development would help a lot as depth at OG and possibly OC going into his 3rd year. If he is a straight bust then it's likely another draft pick will be needed for OL depth to replace him.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Some would argue RB1 is PON, has been for years.

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Do you really think people would argue that? I could make an argument for several other positions that we need more. I bet you could too.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
              Day One...
              • Mar 2019
              • Brentwood, 94513
              • Send PM

The running game just need better plays called. Look at the Niners, they throw in any back and they eat. I’m not every drafting a rb in the first round. The days of LT are long gone. Just give me someone who hits the right hole and holds onto the ball. I love what I saw in Kelly this past year. He should get more touches going forward.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

Sarell was really bad this past season but perhaps they see something in him where he could develop into a serviceable player in the future.

I wonder more about what's going on with Jaimes? On whether or not he's just a bust or there is something going on with him. His development would help a lot as depth at OG and possibly OC going into his 3rd year. If he is a straight bust then it's likely another draft pick will be needed for OL depth to replace him.
                Deep down inside everyone on this board knows Sarell will end up starting at right tackle. And there's at least a 50% shot he gets injured. Probably a 70% shot Linsley gets injured. So that means a 65% chance the Oline implodes.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Agree. Saying we have RB depth is like saying we have OT/WR/Edge depth, sure there are bodies, but talent-wise we need to upgrade everywhere. Robinson and Ekeler splitting time in the backfield would be sick.
                  RBs like Bijan make the OL look better. Where Kelley or another JAG gets you 0 or 1 yd. Bijan gets 3 or 4. And where the JAG get trip up or tackle for a decent gain of 5. Bijan has a chance to gash you for 10plus. He has great feet and ability to make the first guy miss. Would think if he is on the board at 21 and with the need to improve the run game and likelihood to rush the ball much more under OC Moore next year.....it be a bit of shock if they passed on him and selected another position.
                  Who has it better than us?

Comment

• electricgold
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

RBs like Bijan make the OL look better. Where Kelley or another JAG gets you 0 or 1 yd. Bijan gets 3 or 4. And where the JAG get trip up or tackle for a decent gain of 5. Bijan has a chance to gash you for 10plus. He has great feet and ability to make the first guy miss. Would think if he is on the board at 21 and with the need to improve the run game and likelihood to rush the ball much more under OC Moore next year.....it be a bit of shock if they passed on him and selected another position.
                    I bet Bijan goes top 15 and the team that drafts him will say he's that special of a player as to sell it to their fans! I think we really win this draft if a top OT falls to us! That would give us 2 blue chip OT's starting with Slater healthy as our LT! Sayler could be our depth for OT, and be moved to OG as a starter giving him the sort of role he had on his college team. The only wrench in this is if Jordan Addison or Mayer is on the board at 21 but again both these players will probably go top 15 as well which probably means an OT falls to us!: ) If we were able to unload Bosa and cut Allen we could maybe sign Everett and Dalton Schultz which would give us our 2 TE's and RB WR and DE we could addressed in the draft! I still believe Chris Rumph could fill in if we unload Bosa and Rumph has a good off season.

Comment

• UtahBolt
                      Did we win?
                      • Jun 2013
                      • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

I bet Bijan goes top 15 and the team that drafts him will say he's that special of a player as to sell it to their fans! I think we really win this draft if a top OT falls to us! That would give us 2 blue chip OT's starting with Slater healthy as our LT! Sayler could be our depth for OT, and be moved to OG as a starter giving him the sort of role he had on his college team. The only wrench in this is if Jordan Addison or Mayer is on the board at 21 but again both these players will probably go top 15 as well which probably means an OT falls to us!: ) If we were able to unload Bosa and cut Allen we could maybe sign Everett and Dalton Schultz which would give us our 2 TE's and RB WR and DE we could addressed in the draft! I still believe Chris Rumph could fill in if we unload Bosa and Rumph has a good off season.

Rumph looked pretty bad this year. At times he seemed like a cat in the bath tub while rushing the passer, a lot of energy being spent but little actual results! If Bosa goes, we absolutely need more Edge depth.
                      I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post

Rumph looked pretty bad this year. At times he seemed like a cat in the bath tub while rushing the passer, a lot of energy being spent but little actual results! If Bosa goes, we absolutely need more Edge depth.
                        Rumph is an undersized finesse player. 3 sacks and 9 QB hits in 31 career games as an edge rusher is a guy who should be borderline making some team's practice squad, not a guy counted on as a key rotational player.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post
                          I'm sorry but I see nothing special in Spiller or Kelly. They are just average, if that, RBs in the NFL. That doesn't mean we should go with a RB in the 1st.
                          We have many needs so BPA seems the way to go. Many here seem to believe that our O line will be top 10 in 2023. If that is the case why would we
                          draft a O line guy in the 1st? Lots of different opinions. If we go by need LB would be #1 on the list. An elite DL guy or Edge would also be welcome.
                          Per Bleacher Report"
                          The best running backs average in the National Football League over five yards per carry. Good running backs average about four and a half yards per carry, and average running backs average around four yards per carry. The best thing about yards per carry is that averages have been relatively unchanged over time.
                          ​Ekeler averaged 4.8 yards per carry last year. In limited opportunities, Kelley averaged 4.2 ypc. Spiller had an injury in pre-season and didn't get much of an opportunity at all.

Ekeler = Slightly better than a good RB.
                          Kelley = Slightly better than average.
                          Spiller = unknown.

How can our OL be Top-10 if our run offense was 30th...? AND there is no guarantee Pipkins will be back. With cap issues, I'd say he probably won't be back.
                          If you want a truly Top-10 OL... draft a RT early. Then watch your RB's averages go up... and your QB's time to throw go up, too.

Comment

Working...
                          X