Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    Along the DL is a different story. If you look at the Rams in 2020 (when Staley had the #1 defense)... they played a lot of "Tite" defense... with 3 down linemen (Donald, SJD, and Brockers). In both years here @LAC, they didn't have the personnel to do that... they played a lot of 2 down linemen. In 2021, it was because they were transitioning from 4-3 to 3-4. In 2022, it was because of injuries to Covington, Ogbonnia, and Johnson. Tillery was never very good against the run.

Staley requires his down linemen to occupy OL and let his LB's read/react quickly and fill run gaps. Neither group did these things very well. Ogbonnia and Johnson will have to get health... hopefully Matlock can learn quickly. If those things happen, I think we'll be better against the run. IMO, Kendricks is a big upgrade @LB.
    There is reason to be optimistic about the DL. Otito was showing some promise before his injury last season and Scott Matlock and Jerrod Clark are intriguing rookie projects. We'll see.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      There is reason to be optimistic about the DL. Otito was showing some promise before his injury last season and Scott Matlock and Jerrod Clark are intriguing rookie projects. We'll see.
      Agree. SJD and Fox are legit and there's a lot to learn about the other nine DL. Will AJ and Tito return ready to play? Several others are interesting.
      Training camp - pre-season- Saints scrimmage will be more revealing after the pads go on. Final roster cuts, 90 - 53 due by Aug 29.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

I do, considering how much he was “touted” by some here, his first year. Ya, still early. Early indications by some say he could be beat out, become a “situational player”. A far cry from him getting very positive reaction from some here, when he joined.

My thoughts on his pass coverage …”Samuel, turn your head around, look back damnit! Now I find out it may be his run defense skills as being suspect
        as well. Didn’t see that coming.
        He's a graduate of the Quentin Jammer school of pass coverage . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

We might be looking for another DT after final cuts. I don’t know if we have enough experienced talent on the DL right now. Same at FS.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Generally true, but if you were a relatively high draft pick and you’ve been a starter for several years and are now “buried” on the depth chart behind a late pick or UDFA that hasn’t really ever played great (not some magical surprise find) - that is a really loud message. Coaches as a rule generally do NOT do that

Well - depends on how 'hard of hearing' the player in question is . My guess is that the message hasn't been getting through . . . . . . . . . . so it gets escalated to another level - until the message is received, or said player is looking for work elsewhere.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              JH3 and Me
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post
              [/B][/U]

Well - depends on how 'hard of hearing' the player in question is . My guess is that the message hasn't been getting through . . . . . . . . . . so it gets escalated to another level - until the message is received, or said player is looking for work elsewhere.
              coach gotta do what he gotta do. I'm supportive, just noting its a loud message is all. Staley is all about DBs ... he's gonna eagle-eye that group, i'm sure. Maybe even crook-eye a tad
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                We might be looking for another DT after final cuts. I don’t know if we have enough experienced talent on the DL right now. Same at FS.
                Fox, SJD, Williams are multi year vets. Moa and Hinton 2nd year. Matlock, Clark, Lang, Okoye rookies. Let's see if any show well in pads.
                They always have an eye on cheap cuts. Then there's AJ and Tito may be back and active
                S maybe they have guys they like but ? See who's out there and what it costs.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Nope. I looked him up #2 pick 1963, the year we were AFL Champions. Tell us about him.
                  He was a Guard that soon became an all-pro G, but as a rookie, he covered kickoffs and punts. He was a killer, he'd race downfield like a tank. They never were able to block him and the return men soon knew about him and feared him. He was kind of like having Dick Butkus coming after you with a full head of steam. After his rookie year, they decided he was too good to keep on ST but he was sure a great cover man as a rookie.

One other reminder, it was a WR that turned into a great ST player for several seasons - Osgood.

I'm sure not arguing that Q should play on ST, just pointing out that it's happened before.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• SuperCharged
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Utah
                    • Midnight Toker
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Hey Super, I like your takes and think you have good football knowledge. And I like what you bring to the forum. It's OK that we might not agree about Guyton. I'm aware of Guyton's short-comings as an all-around WR. He only does one thing really well, and that is sprinting past coverage to get open deep and he is very good at tracking deep passes.
                    Thanks and I feel the same about your posts. To be honest I don't know what it is about Guyton that rubs me the wrong way. Yes he has speed and he will always be a part of what I consider one of the most spectacular throws in NFL history against the Giants.

I am just not a fan of one trick pony players. Never have.

I believe in our coaches. So if Guyton earns a roster spot come opening day I will be rooting for him. Right now for me? I'm rooting for some new blood to break into our WR corps. I am greedy I want the maximum talent from our WR's because they are an extension of Herbert.

I have complete confidence that Herbert can bring us multiple championships.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I was responding to a poster who suspected that the signing of Wright indicated that Guyton wasn't recovering on schedule. I responded by saying if they wanted to replace what Guyton brings (deep speed), they would have signed someone other than Wright.

I wasn't endorsing Guyton.
                      I get that. Just pointing out, a player like that is replaceable in all kinds of ways, especially when his one nice trait, straight line speed, becomes useless unless he can get off the LOS clean. And he can’t, like upper 70s percentile if I remember correctly. Not good.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

Thanks and I feel the same about your posts. To be honest I don't know what it is about Guyton that rubs me the wrong way. Yes he has speed and he will always be a part of what I consider one of the most spectacular throws in NFL history against the Giants.

I am just not a fan of one trick pony players. Never have.

I believe in our coaches. So if Guyton earns a roster spot come opening day I will be rooting for him. Right now for me? I'm rooting for some new blood to break into our WR corps. I am greedy I want the maximum talent from our WR's because they are an extension of Herbert.

I have complete confidence that Herbert can bring us multiple championships.
                        SC - when you get down to the #5 and 6 guys they all tend to be one trick ponies in one way or another - that's why they're not 1's and 2's. I like the fact that our '1 trick ponies' are better than most !

Comment

• SuperCharged
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Utah
                          • Midnight Toker
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

SC - when you get down to the #5 and 6 guys they all tend to be one trick ponies in one way or another - that's why they're not 1's and 2's. I like the fact that our '1 trick ponies' are better than most !
                          True.

I think I like seeing new faces in 678 spots. Just because we know the ceiling is of players like Guyton. Maybe some is hungry enough to take that spot and earn his shot.

Comment

Working...
                          X