• Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

Wow.. Annoying?
    I find it annoying that some act like he's special when he's really just very pedestrian. His numbers speak loud and clear.

BTW I forget complete my edit where I went on to explain my stance on Guyton. But since I am annoying I will just leave it be.

And if me getting excited for new blood at WR annoys you well to bad. Just skip on by my guy....
    Hey Super, I like your takes and think you have good football knowledge. And I like what you bring to the forum. It's OK that we might not agree about Guyton. I'm aware of Guyton's short-comings as an all-around WR. He only does one thing really well, and that is sprinting past coverage to get open deep and he is very good at tracking deep passes.

He's not an accomplished route runner like KA and he never will be. His value will always be one-dimensional, but it is a dimension that good offenses need. The ability to stretch a defense to it's limit. Another thing he's got going for him is that for a guy with his speed he's got pretty good size as well. But he's not a good YAC guy. He doesn't have moves, he's best route is as a straight line sprinter.

It's not that I don't like Pokey or Milton Wright. I just know they aren't ready to fill Guyton's shoes. Guyton and Herbert have a history together and I am sure that is why they decided to bring him back for at least one more season.

Guyton's one-dimensional skill set is one that Herbert is built to exploit. Also, Guyton has distinguished himself on special teams. All this is why I always express doubt that a UDFA is going to win Guyton's job during training camp.

Now, all that said, I am actually unsure about Guyton and his knee. Players who suffer that kind of injury often are not the same the next season, it's not until the season after that they fully come back. And if he's starting camp on the PUP, well, there is a question mark there for me I guess if he can be play at an effective level this season. I hope so, but we'll see.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
      Asante Samuel was touted, now It’s said his defensive play against the run wasn’t exactly stellar and hs’s third on the camp depth chart. I never paid enough attention to that part of his gameplay. I figured it was partly due his sideline pass coverage at times, lol!
      Samuel will be a starter;
      It's a passing league, and I don't remember Samuel being frightened towards lowering a shoulder.

They want to know asap what they have in JaSir Taylor.
      If he continues getting burned,
      Telesco - hopefully - will do more than dumpster dive.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

It seems like the #2 rb spot is Spiller's to lose.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Mike Davis and JC Jackson are the starting outside CBs. 'Sante and Ja'Sir are slot candidates as far as I can tell.
          It will be a few weeks before we have a meaningful depth chart.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Generally true, but if you were a relatively high draft pick and you’ve been a starter for several years and are now “buried” on the depth chart behind a late pick or UDFA that hasn’t really ever played great (not some magical surprise find) - that is a really loud message. Coaches as a rule generally do NOT do that
            What depth chart?

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              Chargers Wire
              Kellen Moore gives insight into the Chargers’ offense

Alex Insdorf
              Thu, July 27, 2023 at 3:40 PM PDT

But perhaps the most interesting thing Moore said at his presser was about the use of Williams in the offense. For his entire career, Williams has been a true boundary receiver in every sense of the word. But today at practice, Moore had him line up in the slot to take advantage of mismatches:

On Williams being lined up in the slot, Moore said, “Mike’s a premier player in this league. The more you can line him up in different spots, the harder it is for a defense to focus on him.” If Williams is truly cross-training to play on the inside at times, it will give the Chargers a fourth receiver who can rotate inside and outside. Versatility is undoubtedly the name of the game in how Staley and Moore continue to build out this offense.

Story originally appeared on Chargers Wire

I like this idea

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I like this idea
                Creating mismatches is a *great* idea. The more, the better.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I like this idea
                  Me too. Give the D more to think about. It's just a beginning.

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I think thats Rule #2 of Rd1 draft picks - they don’t play ST
                    Remember Walt Sweeny?
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      JH3 and Me
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

lets test 21&500's teaching prowess and/or my comprehensive skills. I don't see 3 dots. I did find an icon called "Insert Video":

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Remember Walt Sweeny?
                        Nope. I looked him up #2 pick 1963, the year we were AFL Champions. Tell us about him.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

I hear ya. I completely feel that way as well. I think our O Line could end up being one of the best in the league. Herbert with time = Assassin. I just placed a bet for Herbert's upcoming MVP. I was feeling a lil optimistic Saturday night.

Suddenly we have a very deep WR room. The biggest question mark IMO is the DL. Can this group come together and be at least an average run stopping defense? It would be huge if they can.
                          Agree about the WR group. Very deep... and a lot of different skillsets there.

Along the DL is a different story. If you look at the Rams in 2020 (when Staley had the #1 defense)... they played a lot of "Tite" defense... with 3 down linemen (Donald, SJD, and Brockers). In both years here @LAC, they didn't have the personnel to do that... they played a lot of 2 down linemen. In 2021, it was because they were transitioning from 4-3 to 3-4. In 2022, it was because of injuries to Covington, Ogbonnia, and Johnson. Tillery was never very good against the run.

Staley requires his down linemen to occupy OL and let his LB's read/react quickly and fill run gaps. Neither group did these things very well. Ogbonnia and Johnson will have to get health... hopefully Matlock can learn quickly. If those things happen, I think we'll be better against the run. IMO, Kendricks is a big upgrade @LB.

OLineCentric

Comment

Working...
                          X