• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
    Fouts said re: Air Coryell, the bomb was the 1st read then work your way back- on 90% of pass plays.
    Moore says he incorporates a lot of Air Coryell concepts (as most winners do).
    Sounds perfect for Herbert and our receivers. We have the personnel to really spread the D thin.
    Put them on Moore's torture rack. Heh- heh.
    Hard to wait.
    TC 18 days.
    Love it! Light a fire under those opposing D-backs and put the fear of DA BOMB into them on EVERY play...then the LB's will even have to drop back more...TOTALLY opens up the ground game...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Love it! Light a fire under those opposing D-backs and put the fear of DA BOMB into them on EVERY play...then the LB's will even have to drop back more...TOTALLY opens up the ground game...
      The little I know/see in Moore’s run schemes, Moore uses horizontal space and system shift zone mismatching as much as vertical stretching to open up running lanes. Definitely need an effective rush game installed, even if they will still favor the pass. Cowboys #8 2022, #9 20221 rushing. his pass designs will stretch defenses vertically, as long as they keep having to respect the pass, defenses will be stretched in all directions!

stretch armstrong 90s GIF
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

I'm as close to, "can't wait" as figuratively possible before it becomes literal.
        We are going to stress out some good defenses this season.

Herb can take Phil out to dinner when he makes a DB quit at halftime like Phil did against whatshisname from Buffalo.
        2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

^ This. So frustrating watching Lombo mindlessly dialing up those short stick patterns time...after time...after time...rarely any passes over 17 yards...let's hope Moore is the UN-Lombo...
          Yes! Those stick routes did 2 things:

1). The average length of pattern/pass became very short (shortest in the league). Instead of stretching a defense, it condensed the defense and created less space... and tighter throwing windows. It made it harder on the QB and the WR's. It also made Staley's need for "explosive plays" ver hard to achieve.
          2). As the defense condensed, defenders were able to step closer to the L.O.S. That made running harder as run defenders were invited to enter the box... there was very little fear of getting beat over the top.

There were other Lame-bo aberrations (bunch formations that didn't stretch the defense horizontally) and his inefficiency in the redzone (67% pass rate even with a condensed field)... but 2 above made this offense the polar opposite of what Moore will do. Moore will stretch the defense both vertically and horizontally. In turn that will allow for explosive plays, back defenders up, and create more space in the run/pass game.
          OLineCentric

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Yes! Those stick routes did 2 things:

1). The average length of pattern/pass became very short (shortest in the league). Instead of stretching a defense, it condensed the defense and created less space... and tighter throwing windows. It made it harder on the QB and the WR's. It also made Staley's need for "explosive plays" ver hard to achieve.
            2). As the defense condensed, defenders were able to step closer to the L.O.S. That made running harder as run defenders were invited to enter the box... there was very little fear of getting beat over the top.

There were other Lame-bo aberrations (bunch formations that didn't stretch the defense horizontally) and his inefficiency in the redzone (67% pass rate even with a condensed field)... but 2 above made this offense the polar opposite of what Moore will do. Moore will stretch the defense both vertically and horizontally. In turn that will allow for explosive plays, back defenders up, and create more space in the run/pass game.
            Most fans could see these short comings in the system but my concern is/has been Staley's role in this...
            as a defensive coach, are you seeing how easily this offense is being defended? Maybe his hands were tired last season with having Lombo as OC, Herbs injury and overall injuries.
            But I have to imagine there's a symbiotic relationship where competency of 1 side of the ball holds the other side responsible for obvious flaws.
            Moore has all the talent in the world to beat any defense, even a Brandon Staley defense, especially in todays NFL.
            everyone hates the "iron sharpens iron" metaphor but it stands to reason imo.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Most fans could see these short comings in the system but my concern is/has been Staley's role in this...
              as a defensive coach, are you seeing how easily this offense is being defended? Maybe his hands were tired last season with having Lombo as OC, Herbs injury and overall injuries.
              But I have to imagine there's a symbiotic relationship where competency of 1 side of the ball holds the other side responsible for obvious flaws.
              Moore has all the talent in the world to beat any defense, even a Brandon Staley defense, especially in todays NFL.
              Staley's the HEAD COACH. His hands should never be tied. I blame Staley for Lombardi's shortcomings last year every bit as much as I blame Lombardi. If us casual fans and every talking head on TV or print can see the problems - where were his solutions? THAT's HIS JOB, up to and including cutting a guy (Lombardi) loose who is underperforming.

Staley stood by and watched Lombardi drive the offense into the ground (slowly). Like watching a Nascar pileup in ultra excruciating slow mo. I guess he was spending all his time and energy developing the defense . . . . . . . . . . . oh, wait . . . . what exactly WAS he doing last year? Developing culture?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Never hire a mentor as a coordinator.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Staley's the HEAD COACH. His hands should never be tied. I blame Staley for Lombardi's shortcomings last year every bit as much as I blame Lombardi. If us casual fans and every talking head on TV or print can see the problems - where were his solutions? THAT's HIS JOB, up to and including cutting a guy (Lombardi) loose who is underperforming.

Staley stood by and watched Lombardi drive the offense into the ground (slowly). Like watching a Nascar pileup in ultra excruciating slow mo. I guess he was spending all his time and energy developing the defense . . . . . . . . . . . oh, wait . . . . what exactly WAS he doing last year? Developing culture?
                  Staley did Lombo no favours.

If Schottenheimer/Ross were the head coach, they would have directed their energies towards fixing the running game, taking pressure off of Herbert.
                  But they would have been doing that in training camp.

An inexperienced OC like Lombo would have been under a tight leash with those two.
                  With Staley, he could do what ever the hell he wanted to do, with Staley squirreled away in the defensive meeting rooms.

Does anyone remember the news tidbit about the Charger special teams meeting rooms in 2010.
                  A Cowboy receiver (Patrick Crayton) came over, mid-season, and let it be known that no one was listening to the special teams coach during those meetings.

Do you think that would have happened with Bobby Ross?

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

It helps. I suspect that the Staley / Moore strategy sessions will be productive for both.
                    God willing, we'll have a great roster and depth ready for Miami. They struggled vs our D last year, and we are better.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

As the head coach, your job is to facilitate both coordinators in their jobs. Having said that, I think Staley has a hands-on approach with the defense. After all, that's his specialty. In most cases, HC's are either/or defensive/offensive minded... and often hire a person to be more responsible for the side-of-the-ball they're less known for. Reid is known for his offensive mind... and hires strong/experienced DC's. Bellichick is know for his defensive mind... and hires strong/experienced OC's. There are lots of other examples as well.

Lombardi was hired to be that strong/experienced OC. To be fair, the Chargers were 3rd in the NFL at passing yards... and it's hard to fault them for going pass-happy when Justin Herbert is your QB. Where the Chargers' offense under-performed was Scoring Offense (13th in the league) and Running Offense (29th in the league). Having said that, the Bengals were 28th and the Chiefs were 19th in the league. This might have more to do with their commitment to running the ball. The Chargers redzone efficiency was bad, too... 18th in the league.

Was that Staley's fault...? Maybe. But Staley is still here and Lombardi is not. I'm guessing TT faults Lombardi.
                      Overall injuries obviously play a part. By Week 2, we were already down a 5-time Pro Bowl WR. By the 2nd half of Game 2, we were down a Pro Bowl center. By mid-4th quarter Game 2, our QB's ribs were damaged. Midway through Game 3... and our Pro Bowl LT was out for the year...

Last off-season, I do remember Staley talking about the need to run the ball... that running the ball adds a physical element to the game that defenses need to account for. That aspect of their game was obviously missing last year. Then, right before Lombardi got axed, Staley talked about marrying the run game to the pass game. Enter Kellen Moore.

IMO, it's encouraging to see Staley not be complacent. If it doesn't work, move on.
                      I'm sure this is the same mantra some Chargers' fans will take with Staley. If this team (given relative health) isn't at least 11-6... then maybe a change at HC could be in order. Having said that, I remember the shit-storm when Marty got axed after a 14-2 season. LOL! Of course Marty couldn't win a playoff game to save his life... LOL! His game plan vs the Patriots was abhorrent... and possibly wasted the greatest Chargers roster of all-time.

OLineCentric

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

If Schottenheimer/Ross were the head coach, they would have directed their energies towards fixing the running game, taking pressure off of Herbert.

An inexperienced OC like Lombo would have been under a tight leash with those two.
                        With Staley, he could do what ever the hell he wanted to do, with Staley squirreled away in the defensive meeting rooms.

Does anyone remember the news tidbit about the Charger special teams meeting rooms in 2010.
                        A Cowboy receiver (Patrick Crayton) came over, mid-season, and let it be known that no one was listening to the special teams coach during those meetings.

Rhetorical question I'm sure, but . . . . . . . . . . . . . NO.

Most all here know I don't think much of Staley as a HC (or a DC for that matter). Part of my disappointment with him is exactly this. Either Staley didn't have the balls to TELL Lombardi what to do, and / or fire him when he didn't comply, or he didn't have the knowledge to adequately direct him. Either way - not good. The HC is the Captain - he's supposed to be making sure the 'ship' is functioning at max efficiency - how he allowed the offense to deteriorate to the point it did is beyond me.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

100 percent. Can't be over stated, that BS is on BS.

Similarly under McCoy, newly aquired Jarret Johnson also had a visceral reaction when he came over from the Raven organization as a free agent.
                          Our veteran leader Shaun Phillips was trying to convince JJ that they finished their first exercise in practice and now it was "time to chill" I believe was the quote I heard.
                          JJ was new and not really in position to vocalize his disdain for the lazy attitude so instead decided to do laps between exercises and thus lead by example.

One of my fav Charger FAs

Comment

Working...
                          X