• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Love has the physical tools to be a starting NFL QB. He's short on experience. We can't afford to underestimate him.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

That seems like passing personnel to me.
      Two marginal blocking tight ends on the goal line?
      6-4 Mike Williams out wide right
      6-3 Quentin Johnson out wide left

6-4 Gerald Everett in one slot.
      6-8 Donald Parham in the other slot.
      I agree. Unlike some other people, I believe that Kellen Moore will run the ball well (no matter the personnel or formation).
      I've said it before... Kellen Moore isn't committed to any one system, scheme, or philosophy. If I'm forced to label him... I'd say pragmatically creative.

I think he has even admitted that he will design plays based on his players' strengths and abilities. Depending on roster make-up, I expect the offense to change... whether that is with us in 2 years... or as a coach somewhere else (with a completely different roster).​

My "make-believe" redzone formation tries to reflect what I think is going on with Moore. It also reflects my personal belief that we should be running more in the redzone... in order to be more efficient there. We have been a relative failure in the redzone... compared to what Moore was able to do in Dallas.

His basic philosophy is to find mis-match situations in the passing game. 6-3 Quentin Johnson against a 5-10 or 5-11 CB is a mis-match. The organization has mentioned his size and strength numerous times. I could just as easily sub-in Keenan Allen... and let him humiliate someone 1 v. 1. Parham is just an obvious mis-match size-size. He's not a great run blocker... but he's probably as good as McKitty. He's a better redzone target than McKitty, however. IMO, the threat of the pass will only take defenders out of the box... and will make running the ball exponentially easier. Moore has talked about this approach. It's almost the opposite approach that Lombardi took... telegraphing run/pass via formations and personnel .

In short, I'm hopeful.
      OLineCentric

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        JH3 and Me
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

My mistake,
        that was preseason game #3 against the Chiefs last year.

10 points in the loss there - things are looking up!

Unusual for the Packers, they brought in 3 day 2 weapons (two 2nds) for him in the draft.
        Maybe a sign of desperation.
        We'll see.

I don't think the Packer organization had any choice.
        I would guess they have provisional plans already set forth if Love is a bust.
        They drafted two TEs in the first 3 rounds. That screams unlimited confidence, for sure
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I agree. Unlike some other people, I believe that Kellen Moore will run the ball well (no matter the personnel or formation).
          I've said it before... Kellen Moore isn't committed to any one system, scheme, or philosophy. If I'm forced to label him... I'd say pragmatically creative.

I think he has even admitted that he will design plays based on his players' strengths and abilities. Depending on roster make-up, I expect the offense to change... whether that is with us in 2 years... or as a coach somewhere else (with a completely different roster).​

My "make-believe" redzone formation tries to reflect what I think is going on with Moore. It also reflects my personal belief that we should be running more in the redzone... in order to be more efficient there. We have been a relative failure in the redzone... compared to what Moore was able to do in Dallas.

His basic philosophy is to find mis-match situations in the passing game. 6-3 Quentin Johnson against a 5-10 or 5-11 CB is a mis-match. The organization has mentioned his size and strength numerous times. I could just as easily sub-in Keenan Allen... and let him humiliate someone 1 v. 1. Parham is just an obvious mis-match size-size. He's not a great run blocker... but he's probably as good as McKitty. He's a better redzone target than McKitty, however. IMO, the threat of the pass will only take defenders out of the box... and will make running the ball exponentially easier. Moore has talked about this approach. It's almost the opposite approach that Lombardi took... telegraphing run/pass via formations and personnel .

In short, I'm hopeful.
          Pragmatically creative. I like it.

"Make 'em cover the whole field" even if it's compact. I'd throw in some motion to move the D. Help Herbert and / or Linsley with a read.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Pragmatically creative. I like it.

"Make 'em cover the whole field" even if it's compact. I'd throw in some motion to move the D. Help Herbert and / or Linsley with a read.
            Exactly! Lame-bo Ball is a thing of the past. It has taken its show to Denver.
            Moving defenders around will be this offense's calling card. There have always been mis-matches... play-makers... YAC guys... and a run game in this club. No one has un-locked it yet. Streichen did it briefly. Even then, he was a Norv disciple that focussed on stretching a defense vertically. Moore will do it all. You'll see West Coast horizontal stress and Air-Coryell vertical stress. Herbie will go off! The RB's will have a lot more space to operate.
            OLineCentric

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Fouts said re: Air Coryell, the bomb was the 1st read then work your way back- on 90% of pass plays.
              Moore says he incorporates a lot of Air Coryell concepts (as most winners do).
              Sounds perfect for Herbert and our receivers. We have the personnel to really spread the D thin.
              Put them on Moore's torture rack. Heh- heh.
              Hard to wait.
              TC 18 days.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                Let's do this!
                • Aug 2022
                • Raleigh N. Carolina
                • Send PM

Fouts said re: Air Coryell, the bomb was the 1st read then work your way back- on 90% of pass plays.
                Sounds perfect for Herbert and our receivers. We have the personnel to really spread the D thin.
                Hard to wait.
                TC 18 days.
                Post of the year candidate

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Hard to wait.
                  TC 18 days.
                  I am pretty excited. I hope the hesitancy Herbert demonstrated last year was more A) Lombardi and B) his significant injuries and C) his depleted OL and WRs and not D) him. Herbert developed some bad habits last season (side arm throws, check downs first read at times) that I hope Moore and Nussmeyer will fix.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

I am pretty excited. I hope the hesitancy Herbert demonstrated last year was more A) Lombardi and B) his significant injuries and C) his depleted OL and WRs and not D) him. Herbert developed some bad habits last season (side arm throws, check downs first read at times) that I hope Moore and Nussmeyer will fix.

TG
                    Herb wouldn't have been checking down with the frequency he did, if his protection had been better.

I personally experienced the injury of torn rib cartilage. The pain is excruciating. Did this impact Herb's level of play?!? You bet your sweet <insert name of rude body part here> it did! If Herb is now healthy-- and it appears that he *is*-- then I have no doubts that he'll be the same amazing guy he was before, and even better.

The starting quintet of Slater-Zion-Linsley-Salyer-Pipkins leaves few questions unanswered, as long as no one misses a lot of time.

So the two things that have to be established in order for the Bolts' offense to succeed are:

(1) Keenan-Mike-Palmer-Quentin and the TE group will collectively be challenged on a weekly basis to overwhelm the resources of the defense they're playing against. I like their chances, frankly.

(2) The Bolts must run the ball well enough to prevent defenses from keying on stopping the pass. That back that's needed to complement Ekeler-- is he currently on the roster? If not... Tick Tock, mf'er, time's a wastin'! What are we waiting for?!?

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

TG
                      Lombardi had two years to work in a back-up QB. He forced Herbert to play seriously injured. He could not get the running game going and that's at least 45% of an offensive system. Hurt QB who can Barely throw and mediocre running game outside of Eckler...and then the defenses just shadowed Eckler on everything. As far as I'm concerned I'm not sure Lombardi is qualified to be an offensive coordinator for even a top ten collegiate program.
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                        IMO, the threat of the pass will only take defenders out of the box... and will make running the ball exponentially easier.
                        ^ This. So frustrating watching Lombo mindlessly dialing up those short stick patterns time...after time...after time...rarely any passes over 17 yards...let's hope Moore is the UN-Lombo...

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Lombardi had two years to work in a back-up QB. He forced Herbert to play seriously injured. He could not get the running game going and that's at least 45% of an offensive system. Hurt QB who can Barely throw and mediocre running game outside of Eckler...and then the defenses just shadowed Eckler on everything. As far as I'm concerned I'm not sure Lombardi is qualified to be an offensive coordinator for even a top ten collegiate program.
                          Frankly, I don't think Lombo is qualified to be an OC in ANY program...
                          (Not even Pop Warner)...

Comment

Working...
                          X