• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    JH3 and Me
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Agree 100%...not only that, but put the PS kicker on the PROTECTED PS...we were lucky to find Hoppy when we did, but Dicker was a real unexpected great find...don't want to see our kicker get injured, then have to sign a scrub like we did a few years ago when we went through about 4 kickers in one season...
    I agree with using one of the protected slots for backup K. Good call.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Heatmiser
      BetterToday ThanYesterday
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Two very good kickers…I trust Ficken and Gould to make the right call. Such an unfamiliar space for a Chargers fan to be in!

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

2 kickers?!?
        my mind is officially blown.
        I'm resisting the idea in my head but you guys make strong arguments.
        Cheers.
        Darius "4.36" Davis
        top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP2024: (Triple Play)

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
          2 kickers?!?
          my mind is officially blown.
          I'm resisting the idea in my head but you guys make strong arguments.
          Cheers.
          Yes, but one goes on the final 53, and one to the protected PS...kickers are so important...almost as important as a QB...good to have a qualified backup in place in case your starter gets injured...

Comment

• FoutsFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Birmingham AL
            • Send PM

Hard to believe Rountree is still on the roster...the dude just hasn't shown much at all...not even a JAG, he's JAG-minus...come on, TT, at least sign a decent vet FA RB...
            Disagree he has shown a lot. Just none of it was good.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Disagree he has shown a lot. Just none of it was good.
              LOL...classic backhanded compliment...

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Yes, but one goes on the final 53, and one to the protected PS...kickers are so important...almost as important as a QB...good to have a qualified backup in place in case your starter gets injured...
                Don't forget about the longsnapper too . . . . . . . . losing that guy (on short notice) will really mess up ST's . . . .

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Don't forget about the longsnapper too . . . . . . . . losing that guy (on short notice) will really mess up ST's . . . .
                  I guess longsnapper is also important, though I don't rank it as high as a good backup kicker...maybe longsnapper is something that could be coached up for another player to learn in case of emergency...maybe our backup center...let Jaimes do it...at least we can get SOME work out of him...

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I trust this staff to find a kicker if needed. Use the roster spot for a developing position player. DB, DL come to mind. Lack of good depth cost us games.
                    I don't.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

Agree 100%...not only that, but put the PS kicker on the PROTECTED PS...we were lucky to find Hoppy when we did, but Dicker was a real unexpected great find...don't want to see our kicker get injured, then have to sign a scrub like we did a few years ago when we went through about 4 kickers in one season...
                      Yeah, 2017. Younghoe Koo, Nick Novak, Travis Coons, and Nick Rose. Then we went through Caleb Sturgis failing in 2018, followed by the up-and-down Michael Badgley the next few years. We have a good situation right now. We may as well just keep it that way.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Yeah, 2017. Younghoe Koo, Nick Novak, Travis Coons, and Nick Rose. Then we went through Caleb Sturgis failing in 2018, followed by the up-and-down Michael Badgley the next few years. We have a good situation right now. We may as well just keep it that way.
                        Yep...Badger's first year with us was his best, kicking at 93%. Then he fell to a low average of 81% and a terrible 72% his last year. He's bounced around 5 different teams and is currently with the Lions. He was at 83% last year, kind of low average. Dicker was at an excellent 95% his first year with us. But can he keep it up? Or will he turn into another Bankrupt Badger? Hoppy is a career 84% kicker, which is average. However, in his time with us, he was at 90%, so above average. I'd go with Dicker, until he falters or gets hurt (hope not), but it would be nice to have Hoppy on the PS as insurance.

badger.jpg

dicker.jpg

image.png

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

I don't think there's any question that Dicker has outkicked Hopkins.

It's just a matter of whether Telesco and the coaches believe that Hopkins' higher level of experience will somehow insulate him from some of the chokes that at times go with the territory of a less experienced kicker.

Personally? I think it's an NFL reality that when you're lucky enough to have a Top 5 QB, you accept paying him top dollar, and scrimp elsewhere... like at PK. Hopkins would almost certainly cost the club twice what Dicker would, if not considerably more.

IMO, Dicker has proven himself worthy of the opportunity to be The Guy at PK for the Bolts.
                          Last edited by Ghost of Quacksaw; 07-01-2023, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X