• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I wonder what the issues could be then??? What (who) is the common denominator?
    I'm guessing injury.

20+ games missed by Pro Bowl center and LT.
    15+ games missed by your #1 and #2 WR's.
    10+ games missed by your Pro Bowl pass rusher.

The IDL was decimated for 1/2 the season.
    A multi-million FA CB didn't fit... then blew out his patellar tendon.

Lots went wrong this year.
    Lots went right this year, too.
    Plan for next year... that's all one can do.
    OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
      #1 Reason why Slayer will remain a Charger for the 2023 season.

$21.7 million dead cap if cut after 2022 season.
      $2.7 million dead cap if cut after 2023 season.

#EdMcGuire

Slayer.png
      Actually, dead cap is $6.9 million if cut this off-season.
      The real question is: Do you eat $6.9 million and cut your most reliable offensive weapon when you're making a SB push...?

Doesn't seem like much of a question...
      OLineCentric

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Granted he had injury issues consistent with age but once health set a pace that would have eclipsed his personal best and many top receivers had he held that pace for 17 games hands down. Best to look for a compliment receive that can grow into a wr1 role over time.
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

The real question is: Do you eat $6.9 million and cut your most reliable offensive weapon when you're making a SB push...?

Moving on from a once marquee player is always difficult. Moving on from LT and Philip Rivers were hard. But as AJ Smith said, it is better to get rid a of a player a year too early than a year too late. Keenan's ability to stay on the field - he missed 7 games and played in 10 games - and his commensurate salary do not jibe for me. This isn't personal, it's business.

I think cutting Keenan and bringing in WR Parris Campbell and WR Nelson Agholor on cap-friendly deals and drafting Dalton Kincaid at TE with the #21st overall pick is another way to put more weapons on the field around Herbert. My takeaway from both the defeats to the Jags is they are much deeper and more consistent at WR than the Chargers WR corp.

Bottomline is, the Jags WRs are better.

And the Chargers plan is to stand pat? To me, that's nonsensical. I'm letting Keenan go, in order to make the WR room better, and you do that by getting younger, faster, cheaper, and healthier at the position.

More extreme example is the Eagles, look at their WR room in 2021:

iggles.png

They got rid of Zach Ertz, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, and Jalen Reagor and now they are in the Super Bowl because they were aggressive in reshaping
          their WR room

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pat...wide-receivers

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Florida fan View Post

Those three guys only had 6 total TD together against our rival AFC West. Ekeler also lost 2 fumbles. Granted Allen and Williams missed a few games. We need to find a stud to complement Ekeler. Would help the whole offense
            Why we need to draft some WRs.

Comment

• Berserker76
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

I saw the "HOPE IS HERE" topic and automatically thought, the Spanos family finally sold! Realized it was 10:00 on a Sunday night and it was probably something else. It was. Ah, the joys of being a Chargers fan.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Moving on from a once marquee player is always difficult. Moving on from LT and Philip Rivers were hard. But as AJ Smith said, it is better to get rid a of a player a year too early than a year too late. Keenan's ability to stay on the field - he missed 7 games and played in 10 games - and his commensurate salary do not jibe for me. This isn't personal, it's business.

I think cutting Keenan and bringing in WR Parris Campbell and WR Nelson Agholor on cap-friendly deals and drafting Dalton Kincaid at TE with the #21st overall pick is another way to put more weapons on the field around Herbert. My takeaway from both the defeats to the Jags is they are much deeper and more consistent at WR than the Chargers WR corp.

Bottomline is, the Jags WRs are better.

And the Chargers plan is to stand pat? To me, that's nonsensical. I'm letting Keenan go, in order to make the WR room better, and you do that by getting younger, faster, cheaper, and healthier at the position.

More extreme example is the Eagles, look at their WR room in 2021:

iggles.png

They got rid of Zach Ertz, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, and Jalen Reagor and now they are in the Super Bowl because they were aggressive in reshaping
                their WR room

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pat...wide-receivers
                All they did was acquire AJ Brown who is better than those guys yes...they did upgrade...because they drafted busts.

But Parris Campbell or Aggolar are not better in any universe than Keenan Allen and couldn't hold his jock.
                Campbell has an extensive injury history but because he stayed healthy this season for the first time ever,.... he is an upgrade to Keenan?
                Keenan missed 2 games the past 5 years prior to this one. Campbell hadn't played in more than 7 til this season.

Keenan had more catches than he did this season while missing 7 games.

Agholar is a #3 WR and is going to be 30 in May lol. There's that number again that we want to get younger with. I'll give ya Campbell is young at 25 but as a second rounder. He hasnt been very good.

I'll puke if they do that to us at WR. Moving Keenan has nothing to do with moving a player a year early. He has many seasons left in him. It's all about cap space.

Joey is our most expensive cap hit. Injured often, tossing helmets, arguing with fans. Trade him and get some picks for him. Or a pick and a player. Draft day someone will give up a possible first. Colts gave SF a first for Deforest Buckner.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

For me, its an easy question to answer becaue Keenan Allen is not a number 1 WR in todays NFL. He is truly more a 2/3. Look at the teams that played this weekend, other WRs in the playoffs. Allen is not close to that level. Neither is Williams. But for cap reasons, they truly cannot cut 8. But they can cut or trade Allen. Maybe he takes a pay cut. But MVS for the Chiefs with the YAC; Higgins with that catch in the end zone. Chase with that play at the 5. Allen makes none of those plays.

Maybe you can trade Allen and that lowers the dead cap number to 5.4m with nothing in the future. If you pay KA13 his 19m this year - where does the money come. You have to find it someplace else.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

All they did was acquire AJ Brown who is better than those guys yes...they did upgrade...because they drafted busts.

But Parris Campbell or Aggolar are not better in any universe than Keenan Allen and couldn't hold his jock.
                    Campbell has an extensive injury history but because he stayed healthy this season for the first time ever,.... he is an upgrade to Keenan?
                    Keenan missed 2 games the past 5 years prior to this one. Campbell hadn't played in more than 7 til this season.

Agholar is a #3 WR and is going to be 30 in May lol. There's that number again that we want to get younger with. I'll give ya Campbell is young at 25 but as a second rounder. He hasnt been very good.

I'll puke if they do that to us at WR. Moving Keenan has nothing to do with moving a player a year early. He has many seasons left in him. It's all about cap space.

Joey is our most expensive cap hit. Injured often, tossing helmets, arguing with fans. Trade him and get some picks for him. Or a pick and a player. Draft day someone will give up a possible first. Colts gave SF a first for Deforest Buckner.

I have zero problem if the Chargers were to do this with Bosa. But Bosa alone doesn't get the Chargers where they need to cap wise. It will take decisions from two of the following three players: Bosa, Allen and Mack.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Nothing you suggested made our WR room better.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

For me, its an easy question to answer becaue Keenan Allen is not a number 1 WR in todays NFL. He is truly more a 2/3. Look at the teams that played this weekend, other WRs in the playoffs. Allen is not close to that level. Neither is Williams. But for cap reasons, they truly cannot cut 8. But they can cut or trade Allen. Maybe he takes a pay cut. But MVS for the Chiefs with the YAC; Higgins with that catch in the end zone. Chase with that play at the 5. Allen makes none of those plays.

Maybe you can trade Allen and that lowers the dead cap number to 5.4m with nothing in the future. If you pay KA13 his 19m this year - where does the money come. You have to find it someplace else.
                        You actually suggested some alternatives to improving the WR corp. Thank you. This isn't fun in any way to talk about moving on from Keenan Allen, but standing pat makes the Chargers another one and out in the playoffs. Both the Chiefs and Broncos possess better WR corps in the division. Only the Raiders are our equal. Bengals and Jaguars both are better.

A RT2, two new receivers, a RB1 and a TE2 are what I see as needs on offense. YMMV. But standing pat at the WR position is one-and-done.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Did you see the impact that Devante Parker had at slot for the Patriots this season? When the Dolphins redid their WR room, he was the odd man out and asked to be dealt to the Pats. He killed it. Before I even knew he had been dealt to N.E., I was watching a Pats game and I thought this Parker guy was Belichick rookie going off until I Googled the roster. This year, the issue was offensive coordinator, O'Brien is coming in and Matt Patricia and Joe Judge and Joe Judge will be reassigned.

Comment

Working...
                          X