• Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

the bar has to be higher

look at the games tomorrow. I get Kelce is unique and last year they had Hill. Hardeman hasn't lived up to the 2nd round - but MVS and JSS aren't bad

But the other teams

Deebo, Aiyuk and even Kittle - all make explosive plays

Chase, Boyd and Higgins

Devante Smith and AJ Brown

Last week: Stephon Diggs -0 he catches everything, has YAC and still can get deep

Telesco - do your job and find a difference maker at WR
    It sounds like you would argue that no current Chargers receiver can make a difference in a game. That's not true.
    Another reliable WR with greater speed? I can see that. I'd like a top TE early, speed WR later.
    Last year's offense was a mess with guys out, injured QB, Lombardi.
    The new OC Should be a major difference maker. We need to get him in place, up to speed as possible on personnel and involved in decision making re FA and draft.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
      the bar has to be higher
      Agree. We have probably the best possession receiver in the league in Allen and Williams is a big time contested catch down the field guy. Palmer is a Keenan light type of receiver. All are decent to good blockers for the run. We just don't have blazing top end speed or any WR who has any kind of open field moves. Guyton has speed but honestly is just nothing special as a rout runner, has no real moves and and is now coming off a major knee injury. I'd be okay with bringing Guyton back AND adding a fast WR in the draft. If we don't bring Guyton back (I think we will) then I'd like to see two faster WRs.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

It sounds like you would argue that no current Chargers receiver can make a difference in a game. That's not true.
        Another reliable WR with greater speed? I can see that. I'd like a top TE early, speed WR later.
        Last year's offense was a mess with guys out, injured QB, Lombardi.
        The new OC Should be a major difference maker. We need to get him in place, up to speed as possible on personnel and involved in decision making re FA and draft.
        Agree, he wanted to trade MW two years ago before his 5th year option kickd in and wants to trade Keenan this year. Great strategie.

This board is wrong when saying the ONLY solution is draft a 4.3 guy at WR. I dont care how fast you are if you arent a good route runner, you arent getting open consistantly unless you just run fly routes, ....which Guyton can do. And even those will be covered if that all you do when in the game.

TT and Staley meanwhile seem to love MW. If anybody saw the TT post season press conference he was beaming about MW as they both did before resigning him.

IMO neither one are going anywhere. There will be other changes made to get under the cap/

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Agree. We have probably the best possession receiver in the league in Allen and Williams is a big time contested catch down the field guy. Palmer is a Keenan light type of receiver. All are decent to good blockers for the run. We just don't have blazing top end speed or any WR who has any kind of open field moves. Guyton has speed but honestly is just nothing special as a rout runner, has no real moves and and is now coming off a major knee injury. I'd be okay with bringing Guyton back AND adding a fast WR in the draft. If we don't bring Guyton back (I think we will) then I'd like to see two faster WRs.
          Yep, thats how i feel as well. Guyton i think will still come pretty cheap.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I like Kincaid and Meyer, not so much Washington. I dont get the draw to him. He has had little production.
            I’ve seen Washington’s 40 time listed at 4.80 and 4.63- I (now) suspect 4.63 is wrong - after picking him in one of my mocks lol. if he’s 4.8 - thats not gonna move the needle on our speed quotient imo. He’s better than Kitty, but thats not the bar/target. I want a TE that runs like a poor man’s WR - too fast for LBs, too big for DBs. Something in the 4.6’s please.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Florida fan View Post
              Does anyone know how many pick chargers have?

After watching several games against the Chief, I feel strongly chargers need to find defensive players that can slow down Kelce and the running game.

is Jacksonville 2 half the jags shut down our running game and made us 1 dimensional.
              We didnt even try to run from all that I’ve read. Still haven’t watched the 2nd half lol ..

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Agree, he wanted to trade MW two years ago before his 5th year option kickd in and wants to trade Keenan this year. Great strategie.

This board is wrong when saying the ONLY solution is draft a 4.3 guy at WR. I dont care how fast you are if you arent a good route runner, you arent getting open consistantly unless you just run fly routes, ....which Guyton can do. And even those will be covered if that all you do when in the game.

TT and Staley meanwhile seem to love MW. If anybody saw the TT post season press conference he was beaming about MW as they both did before resigning him.

IMO neither one are going anywhere. There will be other changes made to get under the cap/
                Agree - this is why Guyton is fine to resign as a #5 if he’s cheap but he’s not the answer to our WR gap. We need a fast guy that runs crisp sharp route and can also separate underneath from the slot. If your only move is GO LONG, its a lot easier to defend

MW isn’t going anywhere -they literally JUST invested in him

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Why bring Guyton back if he doesn’t add anything we need? Dozens of other low-tier WRs will be available, pick one if you want the kinda nothing productivity.

I’m all for resigning Carter, dude played well for us at two positions.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                    Why bring Guyton back if he doesn’t add anything we need? Dozens of other low-tier WRs will be available, pick one if you want the kinda nothing productivity.

I’m all for resigning Carter, dude played well for us at two positions.
                    Carter met a need for KR/ PR. Surprisingly decent at WR. We need him or someone like him -or better at KR / PR. We will force more punts.

Comment

• rensoul
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2023
                      • Send PM

People on the board that clearly see that speed is lacking in the WR corps are not wrong. Whether they draft a player or pick a guy or 2 up through trade or FA with legit 4.3 speed, it doesn't matter how they get more speed they just need to get it. Even if one of the guys is a marginal player that has a limited route tree and is only dependable on fly, post, over routes with an occasional hitch route it still forces defenses to account for him.

Defenses are forced to account for speed, it forces safeties/CB's to play softer which in turn creates space for guys to catch passes underneath and dissuades defenses from stacking the box as much against the run.
                      That is where the primary value of having speed on the field helps, the players don't have to catch 70 yard bombs every game they just need to force the defense to account for the threat of it every game.
                      This is basic football 101 stuff since at least the late 60's early 70's.

Right now the Chargers have difficulty creating space. Teams just need to defend 15-20 yards of the field. They need to fix this.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

People on the board that clearly see that speed is lacking in the WR corps are not wrong. Whether they draft a player or pick a guy or 2 up through trade or FA with legit 4.3 speed, it doesn't matter how they get more speed they just need to get it. Even if one of the guys is a marginal player that has a limited route tree and is only dependable on fly, post, over routes with an occasional hitch route it still forces defenses to account for him.

Defenses are forced to account for speed, it forces safeties/CB's to play softer which in turn creates space for guys to catch passes underneath and dissuades defenses from stacking the box as much against the run.
                        That is where the primary value of having speed on the field helps, the players don't have to catch 70 yard bombs every game they just need to force the defense to account for the threat of it every game.
                        This is basic football 101 stuff since at least the late 60's early 70's.

Right now the Chargers have difficulty creating space. Teams just need to defend 15-20 yards of the field. They need to fix this.

Those types are found later as well. We dont need to use a first on one.

Defenses are forced to account for weapons and we have many when healthy. The scheme will fix that as well. MW led the league in 2021 with 40+ yard receptions which was also under Lombo but both he and Kenan were healthy and so was Herbert which is the biggest point there.

Comment

• rensoul
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2023
                          • Send PM

Those types are found later as well. We dont need to use a first on one.

Defenses are forced to account for weapons and we have many when healthy. The scheme will fix that as well. MW led the league in 2021 with 40+ yard receptions which was also under Lombo but both he and Kenan were healthy and so was Herbert which is the biggest point there.

I agree they don't need to use a first for a fast WR. Seems like a general feel in the media is the value at WR in this upcoming draft at WR is on day 2 in rounds 2/3. As long as the team addresses it is the main issue.

I'm a MW fan, he's a great contested ball catcher. I think he's a very good player but I still believe the team would be more dynamic with more speed on the field and that it would help both the run/pass game.

Comment

Working...
                          X