• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Ask us again if Staley ever gets to 11 - 6 with an Alex Smith type at qb.

Now, i need to piece together the meaning of your gif: poka dots, pleasant pastel colors, a skate boarder skating down the avenue of life without worries, a volcano going off unbeknownst to him....

Subtle dig at the pollywogs? Nice!
    If Smith is healthy, probably. Staley managed a good job overall with a dinged up QB.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Historically false. Reid finished 11-5 in his first year at KC making the POs. It should be noted that he took over a 2-14 team from the previous year.
      He missed the PO in his second year. Every year thereafter he has made the POs.

There is no comparison between Reid and Staley and no attempt is going to change that. The only thing that will change any present narrative
      of comparison between the two will be for Staley to make the POs from here on in and win 2 SB with 4 appearances. I wish Staley good luck.
      You seem to have missed out on the reality that you're making a comparison between Reid and Staley..
      Reid is clearly much older, much fatter, has a much longer record as a HC and has won more SBs.
      So? That's history. Then you make projections into the distant future.
      Who cares? Reid has to beat Staley at least twice in 2023 to be better than Staley in 2023.
      I wish Staley good luck also.

Comment

• electricgold
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2020
        • Send PM

Coach the Chargers into the playoffs this year and I'll admit Staley is a good coach... Finish with less than 10 wins and miss the playoffs and I'll admit Staley is a middle of the road at best HC. Especially after changing everything other than the D playcalling for this new season.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
          Coach the Chargers into the playoffs this year and I'll admit Staley is a good coach... Finish with less than 10 wins and miss the playoffs and I'll admit Staley is a middle of the road at best HC. Especially after changing everything other than the D playcalling for this new season.
          That's fair for the most part. We don't know that nothing has changed about defensive play calls. I expect it will with two or more top edge players on tap along with other personnel changes at ILB, CB & S

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

You seem to have missed out on the reality that you're making a comparison between Reid and Staley..
            Reid is clearly much older, much fatter, has a much longer record as a HC and has won more SBs.
            So? That's history. Then you make projections into the distant future.
            Who cares? Reid has to beat Staley at least twice in 2023 to be better than Staley in 2023.
            I wish Staley good luck also.
            I didn't make the comparison. Somebody else posted false information. At this point in time Reid is the better HC, you cannot
            dispute it.

That doesn't mean the Chargers can't beat the Chiefs 2X next year. There is a disconnect there. But since Reid beat Staley twice
            last year then by your own standards he's better.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

I didn't make the comparison. Somebody else posted false information. At this point in time Reid is the better HC, you cannot
              dispute it.

That doesn't mean the Chargers can't beat the Chiefs 2X next year. There is a disconnect there. But since Reid beat Staley twice
              last year then by your own standards he's better.
              Reid was the more successful HC in the 2022 NFL season. Clearly better in the W-L column. No argument there.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

"Turn the corner" means different things to different people at different times. Waste of time to discuss. "Magical ?" LOL!
                Player progress- majority of team able to play in good health. Such as Herbert, KA, MW, Linsley, Slater, Pipkins, Bosa, A Johnson, K9 + Kendricks.
                Coaching progress- OC Moore, QB Nussmeier, DC Ansley, DB Donnatell, ILB Howard
                Draft impact- ? Should realistically be some, ideally at least one star & some useful depth & rotation.
                "That healthy?"- should be @ NFL avg as opposed to NFL worst in '22

In 2022 a badly injured Chargers team went 10-7 and a WC loss.Some of us are imagining a healthy team with OC Moore and a more experienced Staley being better and more successful, but may be that's just us
                Playing 2023 is needed to establish success or less. GO BOLTS!
                Some guys sitll think Staley is unwilling to honestly assess staff performance and make changes to improve his leaders, and hence his own performance. Everything will be exactly the same, they fear. I get the PTSD trauma that prevents them from feeling hope. Our efforts will likely not change their ossified fears, embedded long before Staley ever slipped on a headset.

We’ll just keep trying to present information - we’re not quitters. Every day is another chance … we won’t get them all, maybe one here or there …
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Only on a Charger fan forum would people have the complete detachment from reality to compare Andy Reid and Brandon Staley. Objectively, there is no comparison unless you’re delusional. Maybe in 20 years if Staley lasts that long we can compare career records. Right now Staley isn’t in Reid’s league.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

If Smith is healthy, probably. Staley managed a good job overall with a dinged up QB.
                    Probably what?

Staley has had 2 seasons .....one of those seasons with a healthy qb & few injuries.
                    How often has he gone 11 - 6 to warrant your faith in him?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Historically false. Reid finished 11-5 in his first year at KC making the POs. It should be noted that he took over a 2-14 team from the previous year.
                      He missed the PO in his second year. Every year thereafter he has made the POs.

There is no comparison between Reid and Staley and no attempt is going to change that. The only thing that will change any present narrative
                      of comparison between the two will be for Staley to make the POs from here on in and win 2 SB with 4 appearances. I wish Staley good luck.
                      Ahh, correction noted, thank you. You didn’t note that he then lost his wildcard game after leading by 28 points in the 3rd quarter. He followed up that epic WC collapse with a 9-7 record and missing the playoffs. Should he have been fired at that point?

any thoughts at all on that epic failure? Even Staley wasn’t up 28 points in the 3rd quarter

of course its impossible to compare in absolute a coach with 24(+?) seasons with one that has only 2. My point is that Andy Reid did not deliver KC a SB win in 2 years. Andy Reid wasn’t SB Genius for a very very long time. His first 2 years at KC are comparable to Staley’s first two years. He didn’t deliver Philly a SB win ever.

I’m looking forward to see the teams play in 2023. KC is a quality org and a great test for our team. No reason today to assume we’ve already lost, I’ll let them play it out.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                        Only on a Charger fan forum would people have the complete detachment from reality to compare Andy Reid and Brandon Staley. Objectively, there is no comparison unless you’re delusional. Maybe in 20 years if Staley lasts that long we can compare career records. Right now Staley isn’t in Reid’s league.
                        Only a completely detached pessimist would assert a coach with a winning record is the worst coach in the league.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Only a completely detached pessimist would assert a coach with a winning record is the worst coach in the league.
                          There’s nothing in my post that says Staley’s the worst coach in the league. Get a grip

Comment

Working...
                          X