• Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Responding to your question above;

IMO they had little chance to win against KC the following week (the defense was not good enough to stop Mahomes / Reid at home after a bye), let alone go further, but that's not why the Jville loss was so disappointing (to me). The disappointing part was the WAY they lost; Trevor handed them the game in the first half, but they managed to give it back in the 2nd half. Pure and simply - they choked, top to bottom - offense, defense and coaching. Jacksonville showed heart and determination to not quit after a terrible start, the Chargers showed panic, mental weakness and a lack of heart.

I WAS embarrassed that the team I root for had so little heart . . . . . . and not for the first time.
    I'd like to be more optimistic going forward, but I don't think I'm stupid , so the fact that the same HC that fostered the loser mentality in Jacksonville, that hamstrung his team's chances in Denver, that allowed Lombardi to run the offense into the ground, the one seemingly incapable of making effective adjustments or stopping the panic, is still in charge, doesn't allow me to do so.

SHOW ME . . . . . This does not mean you have to win every game (not possible), but, get beat - DON'T LOSE. There's a difference.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

IMO they had little chance to win against KC the following week (the defense was not good enough to stop Mahomes / Reid at home after a bye), let alone go further, but that's not why the Jville loss was so disappointing (to me). The disappointing part was the WAY they lost; Trevor handed them the game in the first half, but they managed to give it back in the 2nd half. Pure and simply - they choked, top to bottom - offense, defense and coaching. Jacksonville showed heart and determination to not quit after a terrible start, the Chargers showed panic, mental weakness and a lack of heart.

I WAS embarrassed that the team I root for had so little heart . . . . . . and not for the first time.
      Which the hallmark of a poorly coached team.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Herbert, the offense, OL, WRs, RBs, STs punter, place kicker had their worst game of the year D was lights out most of 1st half, collapsed 2nd half.. We were one good play shy of a W. Bummer. I was disappointed. It worried me when it looked like an easy W early. Davis going out in 3rd, Bosa losing his shit at the end made it too easy for Jax. Not likely to happen again.
        ps;I think we showed a lot of heart, playing hurt, down a lot of players.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Herbert, the offense, OL, WRs, RBs, STs punter, place kicker had their worst game of the year D was lights out most of 1st half, collapsed 2nd half.. We were one good play shy of a W. Bummer. I was disappointed. It worried me when it looked like an easy W early. Davis going out in 3rd, Bosa losing his shit at the end made it too easy for Jax. Not likely to happen again.

Everyone see things differently - that's fine. I hope that I'm wrong, that Staley and his players have learned something and are better in 23. We will see . . . . .

Comment

• electricgold
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Which is the hallmark of a poorly coached team.
            You heard it from one of the Chargers stars and team captains, He wants to be loved by the fans, and paid like a superstar as opposed to being just all about the team! Staley has always been saying We are the Chargers we dominate teams!

I can't recall one Staley coached game where you could say we actually dominated! The games we win were usually when Herbert plays very well and has a high completion rate and we won by one score.

Comment

• electricgold
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2020
              • Send PM

[/B]

Everyone see things differently - that's fine. I hope that I'm wrong, that Staley and his players have learned something and are better in 23. We will see . . . . .
              It isn't really all about learning something at this level. It's about players who are willing to give 100% effort for each other on every play under a coach that has the right stuff and system in place. When Staley states the first thing this team is going to be about is relationships, having played organized sports, I knew that we could be in trouble for the next 3 years.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

I can't recall one Staley coached game where you could say we actually dominated! The games we win were usually when Herbert plays very well and has a high completion rate and we won by one score.
                The Giants game in 2021, and the week 17 game against Denver in 2021 where it was the reverse of the week 12 game earlier that season.

The 2022 Colts and Rams game look dominating, but they weren't that dominating.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

It isn't really all about learning something at this level. It's about players who are willing to give 100% effort for each other on every play under a coach that has the right stuff and system in place. When Staley states the first thing this team is going to be about is relationships, having played organized sports, I knew that we could be in trouble for the next 3 years.
                  I would like less talk and more results from Mr. Staley . . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

The Giants game in 2021, and the week 17 game against Denver in 2021 where it was the reverse of the week 12 game earlier that season.

The 2022 Colts and Rams game look dominating, but they weren't that dominating.

We beat Nick Foles and Baker Mayfield (with 2 weeks or practice time). We had better look dominant . . . . .

Comment

• electricgold
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

We are about to enter a very important era when Herbert signs his huge contract. We are going to need a GM who knows how to make good to great picks in the drafts as opposed to what this GM has been doing with his drafting, and a HC that could put a good culture and system in place that doesn't need Herbert to play otherworldly to win games... If we don't The Chargers could become a losing franchise for the next 5 years. The Chargers also probably need to rid themselves of players like Ek and Bosa and Allen and Williams IF they can't play like they are being paid. Ek is the exception in playing like he is paid, I would say 6 mill this season is fair but he wants to be paid like Bosa Allen and Williams. For Ekeler to think him playing for 6 million this year is defined as being WAYYYYY UNDERPAID, his way of thinking is preposterous and delusional.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        JH3 and Me
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Eh, i get the emotion. It was a tough loss. I just see it as just emotion, I’m not gonna get emotional. A L is a L. One point is one point. two teams played 60 minutes, cherry picking the bad part while minimizing the good part will just drive ya crazy if you let it. Best to just move on imo, I’ve never been one to dwell on what was and coulda been. But I’m different. Losing does give us a slightly better pick in 3 weeks. Onward.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          JH3 and Me
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

When it happen on a very big stage a lot of people will conclude it’s a very big deal. I see more like you do - it sucked but that doesn’t mean its eternal destiny. Nothing is eternal in the Not For Long league. I get completely what a lot of people concluded. I’m just not there.

The sun’ll come up …
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X