Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Kendricks played on the second to worst defense in the NFL last season…
    But his addition, and the new OC, are gonna put us over the top! LOL!! And I expect our 'top talent' to play all 17 games next year. Every. Single. Snap. And...we're goin 5-1 or 6-0 in the AFC West and win the division outright!! LOL! LOL! LOL!

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

But his addition, and the new OC, are gonna put us over the top! LOL!! And I expect our 'top talent' to play all 17 games next year. Every. Single. Snap. And...we're goin 5-1 or 6-0 in the AFC West and win the division outright!! LOL! LOL! LOL!
      Always nice to see happy fans!

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Always nice to see happy fans!
        Have *you* been happy with the way the last 2 seasons have ended? Whoopee! We had a chance to make the playoffs in '21 but lost our final game to the Raiders! Yippeee! We blew a 27-pt lead to the Jags and lost in the WC round in '22! It's great to be a Charger fan!!! So much to be happy about when it comes to Charger football (before anyone comments - again - that I'm posting from Skid Row).

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

Genius !

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Have *you* been happy with the way the last 2 seasons have ended? Whoopee! We had a chance to make the playoffs in '21 but lost our final game to the Raiders! Yippeee! We blew a 27-pt lead to the Jags and lost in the WC round in '22! It's great to be a Charger fan!!! So much to be happy about when it comes to Charger football (before anyone comments - again - that I'm posting from Skid Row).
            This team is so hard to figure out. It would be like them to go out and have a great year next year (when they're not supposed to), as opposed to being selected as SB finalists (preseason) last year and failing.

For years I've lurked on this (and other) forums and laughed at posters railing against ownership as the root cause (and continued enablement) of the Chargers losing culture. The team's always spent up to the cap for players - how could ownership do more than that? But, as my career has progressed and I've moved up into the upper levels of management for my employer (a commercial real estate developer), I've been made responsible for assembling and leading large teams of professionals to complete some very complex projects, and this experience has changed my point of view. I now know how impactful the decisions made at the 'ownership' level can be, and how dramatically they can affect the product (whether that's a football team's performance or completion of a construction project).

I'm firmly in the camp that the Chargers will not know real success or long term dominance with the current ownership group in place. The decisions they've made in the past, along with the ones they continue to make in the present, have generally been poor (they do get things right once in a while), and until they're replaced I see no evidence of this changing.

As always I remain skeptical, but hopeful . . . . .

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

This team is so hard to figure out. It would be like them to go out and have a great year next year (when they're not supposed to), as opposed to being selected as SB finalists (preseason) last year and failing.

For years I've lurked on this (and other) forums and laughed at posters railing against ownership as the root cause (and continued enablement) of the Chargers losing culture. The team's always spent up to the cap for players - how could ownership do more than that? But, as my career has progressed and I've moved up into the upper levels of management for my employer (a commercial real estate developer), I've been made responsible for assembling and leading large teams of professionals to complete some very complex projects, and this experience has changed my point of view. I now know how impactful the decisions made at the 'ownership' level can be, and how dramatically they can affect the product (whether that's a football team's performance or completion of a construction project).

I'm firmly in the camp that the Chargers will not know real success or long term dominance with the current ownership group in place. The decisions they've made in the past, along with the ones they continue to make in the present, have generally been poor (they do get things right once in a while), and until they're replaced I see no evidence of this changing.

Yeah I'd rather we be ignored. When we start getting accolades we don't live up to them. I do believe though had we not had so many injuries to our best p!Ayers, we would of been better. How could we not?

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yeah I'd rather we be ignored. When we start getting accolades we don't live up to them. I do believe though had we not had so many injuries to our best p!Ayers, we would of been better. How could we not?
                Injuries are habit forming for expensive old talent...
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

QB Herbert, Stick * as is for now
                  RB Ek, Kelley, Spiller, Rountree, Horvath * MG3 * possible upgrade here
                  WR Keenan, Mike, JP * Guyton, DeAndre Carter * need for speed has been proclaimed
                  TE Everett, Parham, McKitty * HH * strike while the iron is hot
                  OT Rashawn, Pips, Sarell * Storm * Salyer prolly spells Storm
                  OG Zion, Jamaree, Jaimes * Feiler, Aboushi * probable add
                  OC Linsley * Clapp * ditto for an add here

NT AJ, Otito * Fehoko * injury concerns to hedge against
                  DT Bash, Fox * Tillery, Covington * could use Tillery filler
                  DE Joey * gaping hole here
                  ED Khalil, Rumph * Tuszka * questionable depth
                  OLB * Van Noy * Drew Sanders or bust here
                  ILB EK, K9, Niemann, Ogbongbemiga * +1
                  CB Mike D., Asante, JC Jack, Ja'Sir, Deane Leonard * Callahan * Brian Branch/Clark Phillips, or ??
                  S Derwin, Alohi, JT Woods, Mark Webb * if someone falls in our lap, then possibly

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

You may be right, idunno - future is unknown. Ownership has made a LOT of mistakes in the 40 yrs they’ve owned the team. A god part of it the current influencers were just kids so there’s hope the kids now adults can evolve and learn. They have a structural money disadvantage, they will never be able tio afford what the real billionaires can for their teams.

Different Quetsion - I think Smoke blocked me so I’ll ask you - IF the Chargers had won that JAX game, did you think they would have gone all the way to win the SB last year?

The 2022 preseason predictions were irrelevant by end of season as that was before all of the injuries and before it was apparent the team hadn’t fully learned to play as a unit effortlessly in the systems as we expected. Add in Lombo’s shortcomings - by end of year nobody considered the Chargers a SB favorite, right? We were maybe #4 in AFC in ranking imo. so as much as i hated that last loss, it didn’t really change expectations much for me as i didn’t EXPECT them to win the SB anyway. I hoped they might and could but I’m not delusional. Despite Mr Pollyanna-slur, we are not stupid - we do see reality. We just don’t revolt and quit on the team at every inch less than 100% total perfection.

Q: If the answer is yes, it would explain the continued rage/crushing disappointment. But if the answer is NO, and TPB skeptics should have been most aware of this reality since they said it every week or day here - well, cmon - to paraphrase the late great Hillary Clinton - what the fuck difference does it make now if they lost to JAX vs losing to Cincy or KC later?

I just think Its past time to look forward. We haven’t even seen the draft, much less final roster, yet some cats are throwing in the towel already. The key coaching weakness was changed, let’s see what happens? Chin up, Eh?
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

You may be right, idunno - future is unknown. Ownership has made a LOT of mistakes in the 40 yrs they’ve owned the team. A god part of it the current influencers were just kids so there’s hope the kids now adults can evolve and learn. They have a structural money disadvantage, they will never be able tio afford what the real billionaires can for their teams.

Different Quetsion - I think Smoke blocked me so I’ll ask you - IF the Chargers had won that JAX game, did you think they would have gone all the way to win the SB last year?

The 2022 preseason predictions were irrelevant by end of season as that was before all of the injuries and before it was apparent the team hadn’t fully learned to play as a unit effortlessly in the systems as we expected. Add in Lombo’s shortcomings - by end of year nobody considered the Chargers a SB favorite, right? We were maybe #4 in AFC in ranking imo. so as much as i hated that last loss, it didn’t really change expectations much for me as i didn’t EXPECT them to win the SB anyway. I hoped they might and could but I’m not delusional. Despite Mr Pollyanna-slur, we are not stupid - we do see reality. We just don’t revolt and quit on the team at every inch less than 100% total perfection.

Q: If the answer is yes, it would explain the continued rage/crushing disappointment. But if the answer is NO, and TPB skeptics should have been most aware of this reality since they said it every week or day here - well, cmon - to paraphrase the late great Hillary Clinton - what the fuck difference does it make now if they lost to JAX vs losing to Cincy or KC later?

I just think Its past time to look forward. We haven’t even seen the draft, much less final roster, yet some cats are throwing in the towel already. The key coaching weakness was changed, let’s see what happens? Chin up, Eh?
                      I'm waiting to see the defensive front get rolling- together.
                      Bosa- Austin Johnson- Bash- Fox (or new guy)- Mack
                      + K9, Kendricks
                      Likewise Slater-Zion-Linsley- Salyer- Pipkins
                      MW-Slayer-Herbert with Moore calling plays.
                      I love my team.
                      Eff a bunch of smack talking 'Turd wannabes.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I'm waiting to see the defensive front get rolling- together.
                        Bosa- Austin Johnson- Bash- Fox (or new guy)- Mack
                        + K9, Kendricks
                        Likewise Slater-Zion-Linsley- Salyer- Pipkins
                        MW-Slayer-Herbert with Moore calling plays.
                        I love my team.
                        Eff a bunch of smack talking 'Turd wannabes.
                        The criticism about Staley’s D results is well founded and factual. I don’t think it’s as easy as some presume but he’s gotta get better at adapting his scheme to his talent to maximize results more often. The were near-dominating in like 2 games or 3 in their late run, and woeful in others. In the end all i want to see is W’s though - I don’t care how he gets them. He got 10 last year, a good mark that I want to see him improve in 2023.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Responding to your question above;

IMO they had little chance to win against KC the following week (the defense was not good enough to stop Mahomes / Reid at home after a bye), let alone go further, but that's not why the Jville loss was so disappointing (to me). The disappointing part was the WAY they lost; Trevor handed them the game in the first half, but they managed to give it back in the 2nd half. Pure and simply - they choked, top to bottom - offense, defense and coaching. Jacksonville showed heart and determination to not quit after a terrible start, the Chargers showed panic, mental weakness and a lack of heart.

I WAS embarrassed that the team I root for had so little heart . . . . . . and not for the first time.

Comment

Working...
                          X