• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Agree with this wholeheartedly, but with our limited cap space we're reduced to plugging holes in the roster with dumpster bin FA's and rookies. I think Kendricks is an improvement over Dru (TBD), but really our hopes of better performance out of the defense rests on the return to health of last years injured guys, improvements on the part some of the young guys (Murray, Woods), and improvements in coaching / scheme.

This is a pretty big ask overall . . . . . I still think it's up to the offense to outscore everyone. I'll be surprised if our defense manages to be average next year (unless they add veteran talent).
    I understand about the cap space - I get that. My point is - aren't there other options out there that might be better that are just as cheap. Granted, many teams bring back guys from the PS and are signed to future deals. But come on Telesco and scouts, keep working the waiver wire to get better players if you can.

I still bring up the fact that I have ZERO idea why Hightower or Doss were brought back to the team when they couldn't even beat out Michael Bandy. If they couldn't beat out Bandy - not sure why they should be around.
    Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 03-31-2023, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

The defense sucked last year AND the year before. That's been Staley's legacy so far. And I agree: Turnover was needed. But it seems like all we're doing is just dumping guys, without backfilling (with better players); that's not 'turnover'. And given Telesco's sketchy, at best, drafting talents, I find it hard to believe that we're going to be able to backfill - with quality - solely through the Draft and UDFA signings. Good luck with that. In fact, I'm not sure WHAT the strategy has been this off-season, other then having to be an observer due to our cap situation. A cap situation that is only going to get worse next year.

Or maybe Telesco and Staley, like a lot of guys here, are expecting a miraculous injury-free season, where all of our 'top talent' can shine for 17 games and beyond! LOL!

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I understand about the cap space - I get that. My point is - aren't there other options out there that might be better that are just as cheap. Granted, many teams bring back guys from the PS and are signed to future deals. But come on Telesco and scouts, keep working the waiver wire to get better players if you

I still bring up the fact that I have ZERO idea why Hightower or Doss were brought back to the team when they couldn't even beat out Michael Bandy. If they couldn't beat out Bandy - not sure why they should be around.
        Hightower/Doss prob have better traits/higher ceilings/special teams potential...Bandy probably got the nod because he showed skill running routes and a feel for zone...more reliable on gameday as a WR standin...but an overachiever with physical limitations?

My take, anyway....I liked the kid...he got his shot...didnt work out.
        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
          The defense sucked last year AND the year before. That's been Staley's legacy so far. And I agree: Turnover was needed. But it seems like all we're doing is just dumping guys, without backfilling (with better players); that's not effective 'turnover'. And given Telesco's sketchy, at best, drafting talents, I find it hard to believe that we're going to be able to backfill - with quality - solely through the Draft and UDFA signings. We won't - even quality rookies will take time to get up to speed (except for RB), unless a Micah Parsons falls into our lap Good luck with that. In fact, I'm not sure WHAT the strategy has been this off-season The strategy is to hope that everyone stays healthy, ie; running it back. , other then having to be an observer due to our cap situation. A cap situation that is only going to get worse next year.

Or maybe Telesco and Staley, like a lot of guys here, are expecting a miraculous injury-free season, where all of our 'top talent' can shine for 17 games and beyond! LOL! This (a wing and a prayer concept)
          See red !

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Lol...I thought the same thing...where is the quote? Maybe ol' Wu got into the gummies, thought he was having an internal dialogue, while sitting in front of the keyboard...fingers had a mind of their own...

If it was a random thought directed at TPB...then I say I want Staley to run the defense he was brought here for...a defense tailored to the roster's strengths....to what the players can do...

...but in his defense, (pun absolutely intended) its tough to install a defense like that, then watch half the dline, and what was supposed to be your star corner go down before you can get any consistency/continuity/success.

Again, though...when he first got here, he talked about playing to player strengths...about building an offense and defense around the players you have, and what they can do well. So...dumb it down for Murray...and let Jackson man up on the opponents biggest threat...play hybrid man/zone if need be.
            Last year we were 22nd overall on defense. Not worst, hardly what we expected pre-injury plague that started w/JCJ in training camp.
            Part of our D depends on offensive scoring. Get a lead and force them to pass to keep up, play pass D.
            We didn't get ahead much after Herb & KA were hurt. And there were D injuries.
            Following the Bye, we played better D and starting with the beat down of Mia, went on 4 wks of NFL #1 defense.Obviously that was offset by some weak (to be kind) showings. The Jax game was that in a nutshell. #1 D for 20some minutes, Dungbettles for the L.
            The 2022 D got us to the playoffs.
            Hopefully we get more consistency all around with healthy starters, a new OC, among other staff and some position adds.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Four other playoff hopeful teams historically tanking got us to the playoffs.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

wu views things at Oculus level.
                The key is discerning precisely what additional ingredients are needed to play StaleyD effectively.
                It will mostly be straightened out in the April stretch run leading up to the Draft.

"I'm going to Kansas City.
                Kansas City here I come."
                Fats Domino
                Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Last year we were 22nd overall on defense. Not worst, hardly what we expected pre-injury plague that started w/JCJ in training camp.
                  Part of our D depends on offensive scoring. Get a lead and force them to pass to keep up, play pass D.
                  We didn't get ahead much after Herb & KA were hurt. And there were D injuries.
                  Following the Bye, we played better D and starting with the beat down of Mia, went on 4 wks of NFL #1 defense.Obviously that was offset by some weak (to be kind) showings. The Jax game was that in a nutshell. #1 D for 20some minutes, Dungbettles for the L.
                  The 2022 D got us to the playoffs.
                  Hopefully we get more consistency all around with healthy starters, a new OC, among other staff and some position adds.
                  Agree...I do think the D was really gelling late...the Jags game was coaches and players getting caught being complacent, and the exploitation of Jasir when Davis went down. But still, would like to see some of the inconsistency cleaned up...an offense that can realize its potential, and put those games away will also mean a ton. One 3rd down stop...or one 3rd down conversion...aaah...ancient history, I guess...
                  Last edited by Lone Bolt; 03-31-2023, 12:05 PM.
                  Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                    Four other playoff hopeful teams historically tanking got us to the playoffs.
                    LOL! That's one way to look at it.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      wu views things at Oculus level.
                      The key is discerning precisely what additional ingredients are needed to play StaleyD effectively.
                      It will mostly be straightened out in the April stretch run leading up to the Draft.

"I'm going to Kansas City.
                      Kansas City here I come."
                      Fats Domino
                      Wu - serious question; what is StaleyD?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

StaleyD = Staley defensive concepts.
                        Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                          StaleyD = Staley defensive concepts.
                          I get that part. what ARE these concepts?

Comment

Working...
                          X