• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Mack will cost $27M in cap space if we don't do anything. Another $27M in 2024. That's why we could or should do something. If we cut him we take about a $14M
    dead cap. But it makes a difference if we do pre June or post. So maybe we take the dead cap instead of the $54M we would take in 2 years cap.

And yes good reason to restructure Bosa since he'll cost $31M.
    Then we keep Mack at his current cap space this year and think about cutting next year. That’s the best option. Restructuring a player his age will only makes things worse and more difficult to move past him if he declines.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
      I would make the argument that keenan is more important to this team right now than both bosa and mack, maybe even the two of them combined…you have to protect your most important player and you have to keep that guy happy too…Having two plus 27mil per year guys on edge is fucking stupid, and after what he did in jax I’m fucking done with bosa, he’s not only not come even remotely close to earning his contract (still one of the top paid defenders in the NFL) but he’s also proven that even as a seven year vet he is NOT a leader on this team, if you want to move someone, move bosa! Trading him could actually bring something meaningful in return, enough to find another edge in an edge rich class and it frees up 20 mil in cap space it written up as a post june 1st trade…
      Agree, Keenan has more value to us than Bosa. Just not sure it’s doable.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

I would make the argument that keenan is more important to this team right now than both bosa and mack, maybe even the two of them combined…you have to protect your most important player (herbert) and you have to keep that guy happy too…Having two plus 27mil per year guys on edge is fucking stupid, and after what he did in jax I’m fucking done with bosa, he’s not only not come even remotely close to earning his contract (still one of the top paid defenders in the NFL) but he’s also proven that even as a seven year vet he is NOT a leader on this team, if you want to move someone, move bosa! Trading him could actually bring something meaningful in return, enough to find another edge in an edge rich class and it frees up 20 mil in cap space it written up as a post june 1st trade…
        If the Chargers traded him as a post June 1 - they would not get compensation until Spring of 2024 and would also have to keep his cap until June 1. So that seems unlikely.

I mean, if the chargers could get a similar deal as they gave for Mack - maybe a 2nd and 5th - not opposed. Bosa is younger so the trade compensation would be much higher than Allen.

Either way, the Chargers need a serious upgrade at WR - two of them and this is by all accounts Allens last year so I still think he is the one to go

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Then we keep Mack at his current cap space this year and think about cutting next year. That’s the best option. Restructuring a player his age will only makes things worse and more difficult to move past him if he declines.
          Mack is going to be better and more explosive in 2023 than in 2022…he spent all offseason in 2022 rehabbing from foot surgery…we’re going to see a more explosive player in 2023 with a full season of conditioning and training and another year removed from surgery…when they interviewed gates about his foot surgery he said it took him almost two years to feel normal again…

I’m not sure mack doesn’t have more left in the tank than bosa does…
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

If the Chargers traded him as a post June 1 - they would not get compensation until Spring of 2024 and would also have to keep his cap until June 1. So that seems unlikely.

I mean, if the chargers could get a similar deal as they gave for Mack - maybe a 2nd and 5th - not opposed. Bosa is younger so the trade compensation would be much higher than Allen.

Either way, the Chargers need a serious upgrade at WR - two of them and this is by all accounts Allens last year so I still think he is the one to go
            we could trade him tomorrow for draft picks in THIS draft with a post june 1st designation, it happens all the time…
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

You sure about that? According to OTC keenan is signed thru the end of 2024 season, I’m certain it’s not a voidable year…

Comment

• charger1_sj
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

If we cut him post June, we'd create $9M in dead cap. We'd have to pay him $5.5M in roster bonus, but that's a cash problem. By doing this we would save
                $18M in cap space for 2023. Unless we need his production this would be one way to go. There are other ways but it would require his agent and Mack to
                agree. Allen is a catch 22. Bosa something can be done to reduce the cap hit. At any rate Telesco has work to do between now and June.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

I'm really wrestling with this cut/trade one of our big name guys.
                  I hear and read all the arguments.
                  end of day I'm not making it an emotional decision, I'm not cutting or trading either Bosa or Mack, they need to play together to make our D special. Or any chance of it.

I trade Allen. As valuable as he is/was for us this season, we need to get a different type of WR opposite Mike anyway. Preferably younger and much faster. I ask my stud QB and new OC to build around mike as number 1, Palmer as 2 (threw up a bit) and sign an affordable Guyton as 3 or draft pick.

I probably look to trade Allen somewhere where his veteran experience and leadership is invaluable like Baltimore. He can mentor Bateman while giving Jackson a reliable target.

No doubt Herbert can make it work.
                  Darius "4.36" Davis
                  top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP2024: (Triple Play)

Comment

• nomad1946
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2017
                    • West Yellowstone, Montana
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

While it would probably be wildly unpopular, if we could trade Allen, even for a 3rd or 4th round draft pick, it would solve a number of problems( and could potentially create one )

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

we could trade him tomorrow for draft picks in THIS draft with a post june 1st designation, it happens all the time…
                      No they can't. They can release him with a post June 1 designation but they cannot trade with a post June 1 until AFTER June 1. I asked Jason OTC this question once.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

You sure about that? According to OTC keenan is signed thru the end of 2024 season, I’m certain it’s not a voidable year…
                        He signed through 2024 but no guarantees, maybe a bit of dead cap $2.7m unless he is traded this year - that $2.7m would roll to this year. He is scheduled to make $23m or something next year - thats not going to happen. So maybe he is signed through 2024 but its highly unlikely he would be on the roster at that price point next year.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Mack is going to be better and more explosive in 2023 than in 2022…he spent all offseason in 2022 rehabbing from foot surgery…we’re going to see a more explosive player in 2023 with a full season of conditioning and training and another year removed from surgery…when they interviewed gates about his foot surgery he said it took him almost two years to feel normal again…

I’m not sure mack doesn’t have more left in the tank than bosa does…
                          Right now the biggest gap is age between the two. Joey will only be 28 in the fall while Mack will be 32. Both have injury history though. So I usually err on the side of age. We should try to keep both edge rushers this year if possible and draft one high enough for better depth and to replace someone in 2024.

Comment

Working...
                          X