• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I was thinking injury too...Mike was out for the playoff game and I really didn't see carter in there for the jax game?!?!?
    Michael Bandy got some play in that game

ooopphffff!!

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Idunno. I can see our Rd1 stars - easy to find: Herbie, DJ, Joey, Slater, Zion, Mdub. Who are our 2nd round stars on the roster? ASJ? Who else? Yes teams find stars in later rounds, but the probability that teams pick washouts and never-where’s increases in every round of the draft.

How many washout bad draft pick roster spots could be filled with near-league min salary FAs who at least the team knows can play a little? Because the other problem with more rookie draft picks is the team feels overly obligated to keep them on the roster and at least try and “develop” them - plenty of draft picks that never did dick but hung on for years just because they were a draft pick. We’ve got a couple draft picks on the roster right now that never did a thing or did next to nothing.

I can see it both ways - i just don’t automatically buy into the quantity argument.
      not automatic, I wrote, “it depends on the draft” drafts are all different, so it's good to be flexible with how you approach any given draft, this is not my own thinking, this is me following closely what the ravens have been doing for 20 plus years, sometimes they trade a lot to move up and other times they trade down to accumulate picks, what do we do? We do the same shit every draft with the occasional trade up, TT has hit on some #1 picks although if I recall a lot of people were convinced MWs was a bust as recently as 2020, joey hasn’t exactly lit it up recently either, and I’ve read a LOT of posts on here folks talking about how overrated DJ is…one thing is for sure, have those three come anywhere near to earning the money they are being paid?
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

not automatic, I wrote, “it depends on the draft” drafts are all different, so it's good to be flexible with how you approach any given draft, this is not my own thinking, this is me following closely what the ravens have been doing for 20 plus years, sometimes they trade a lot to move up and other times they trade down to accumulate picks, what do we do? We do the same shit every draft with the occasional trade up, TT has hit on some #1 picks although if I recall a lot of people were convinced MWs was a bust as recently as 2020, joey hasn’t exactly lit it up recently either, and I’ve read a LOT of posts on here folks talking about how overrated DJ is…one thing is for sure, have those three come anywhere near to earning the money they are being paid?
        My hope for this year is - in the past Telesco doesn't draft for speed, never has traded down and the cap was not pushed - well so far this year he has pushed the cap and hoping he trades down (under the RIGHT circumstances) and is willing to bring some juice and sizzle to the WR room.

I mean, what he has done for 10 years hasn't worked

I am not ready to give up on DJ but Bosa and Williams are fine players -- but not top shelf difference makers that I can see

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I would agree about the base roster
          except for that playmaker on offense - with some juice and sizzle to make plays - they don't have that now

but the rest - I agree - they have enough to start the season
          fill in with the draft and a few more cheap veterans
          I think the focus this year is depth for sure, they will have money to add low priced veterans once the draft is over, also a lot of times right after the draft some teams release veteran players because they filled their spots in the draft, so there will be some veterans on the street in 5 weeks that aren’t available right now…
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Michael Bandy got some play in that game

ooopphffff!!
            And we wonder why the Chargers only scored 3 points in the second Half. LOL!
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

My hope for this year is - in the past Telesco doesn't draft for speed, never has traded down and the cap was not pushed - well so far this year he has pushed the cap and hoping he trades down (under the RIGHT circumstances) and is willing to bring some juice and sizzle to the WR room.

I am not ready to give up on DJ but Bosa and Williams are fine players -- but not top shelf difference makers that I can see
              I agree, but it’s not just him, jojo is all up in his…..so it’s hard to know exactly what TT is responsible for and what he isn’t…I might not like Staley as a DC but his positive influence on the roster either thru FA signings, trades, and the draft during the last two years is undeniable…

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Not by themselves. They are stars when there are multiple threats.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I agree, but it’s not just him, jojo is all up in his…..so it’s hard to know exactly what TT is responsible for and what he isn’t…I might not like Staley as a DC but his positive influence on the roster either thru FA signings, trades, and the draft during the last two years is undeniable…
                  I am actually pulling for Telesco - I want him to succeed. But between he and John Boy - just not sure how good of a tandem they are

I saw a list today of the WRs drafted by Telesco -- speed was not a priority

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

I am actually pulling for Telesco - I want him to succeed. But between he and John Boy - just not sure how good of a tandem they are

I saw a list today of the WRs drafted by Telesco -- speed was not a priority
                    Nothing wrong with "possession" receivers like Slayer and Mike Will...but...you need at least one burner to stretch the field...

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Nothing wrong with "possession" receivers like Slayer and Mike Will...but...you need at least one burner to stretch the field...
                      We had one in Tyron Johnson. I still don't understand why Staley released him, other than that he couldn't play special teams and wasn't a fit for Swinton who was the STC at the time.

Jalen Guyton has speed too but it isn't that good, and he's likely to not be retained.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

We had one in Tyron Johnson. I still don't understand why Staley released him, other than that he couldn't play special teams and wasn't a fit for Swinton who was the STC at the time.

Jalen Guyton has speed too but it isn't that good, and he's likely to not be retained.
                        TBilly has been on like 8 teams since he was released

Guyton is nice - but also kind of a aJAG type

They need to make it a priority

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Teams keep signing him but end up releasing him. He's on the Niners roster now. He seems to have the size and speed and good hands every team looks for but something is amiss with him when teams keep cutting him.

As for needing a speedy WR - Carter has signed with the Broncos so the need is even greater now. Jalen Guyton may not be back so it looks like we completely lack speed.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X