Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
    Don't agree about Fieler.
    Just because Pittsburgh was forced to play him there don't mean he is a RT. We were forced to play Salyer at LT but he will be best at OG in the NFL.
    Feiler graded out higher as a tackle than he did as a guard. I am happy with the current projected lineup but he'd be a great swing tackle/guard to have on the roster, just not at his 2023 salary.

Comment

• cmplxgal
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • New Jersey
      • Send PM

Here's Popper's write-up of the Johnson/Salyer switch:

Telesco said Jamaree Salyer will “probably be at right guard” in 2023. Staley had said earlier Monday that the plan was to move Salyer to left guard to replace Matt Feiler, who the Chargers cut earlier this month. Staley called left guard Salyer’s “natural position.” But Telesco said Zion Johnson would be moving from right guard, where he started in 2022, to left guard.

“Get our best five at the spots we think they’re best at,” Telesco said of the thought process.

Johnson started 26 games at left guard in college at Boston College. He did not start a single game at right guard in college before playing the position as rookie last season.

“It doesn’t really matter in the end,” Telesco said of who plays which guard spot. “They can play either side, but it’s what we’re going to go with right now.”

That would mean a starting offensive line of: LT Rashawn Slater, LG Johnson, C Corey Linsley, RG Salyer, RT Trey Pipkins.

Getting Johnson back to a more familiar position makes some sense, though he had developed a chemistry with Pipkins on the right side last season. Johnson would also benefit from playing next to Slater, an All-Pro as a rookie in 2021. Salyer started 15 games at left tackle last season while Slater was out with a torn biceps. Salyer has yet to play a regular season snap at guard in the NFL, but he got significant reps inside in training camp last summer.​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Feiler graded out higher as a tackle than he did as a guard. I am happy with the current projected lineup but he'd be a great swing tackle/guard to have on the roster, just not at his 2023 salary.
        I thought this two months ago. At 1.5m or something - that is only 750k more than a UDFA
        Storm Norton maybe something like 960k last year

If you can get Feiler for the vet minimum plus a $300k signing bonus - that wouldn't be bad

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I am not concerned about making the Broncos better if it makes the Chargers better
          Just not sure Jeudy is the right WR for the Chargers - besides the injury concern - does he add what the offense needs outside
          There are worse deals I am sure for Ekeler out there
          I think it makes them better than he helps us is my thinking.

Good player but this is also the last year of his contract. So as far as that goes, I'd rather draft a receiver than trade for him.

I just don't think we would make a trade like that with the division rival away anyway.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
            Here's Popper's write-up of the Johnson/Salyer switch:

Makes sense! This could be a very good OL. I'm anxious to see what Moore is able to do with this group. 30th in ypg rushing is bull s***!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

I think it makes them better than he helps us is my thinking.

Good player but this is also the last year of his contract. So as far as that goes, I'd rather draft a receiver than trade for him.

I just don't think we would make a trade like that with the division rival away anyway.
              I was reading today that Payton might likea guy like Gibbs - so a Kamara 2.0

I read the Telesco round up from Popper and combined with what Staley said yesterday about Ekeler - I think a draft day trade - well the odds, went from 10% yesterday to 20% today based on their messaging

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Thats it. If a player drops for some reason - and they are in your Tier 1 Top 15 bucket of players - of course take the player
                if not, I want more picks as some will flame out
                The 21st pick isn't usually a coveted spot to trade to. If we don't see anyone that good remaining, will the GM of some other team see someone they want to give up two picks for? It seems unlikely. But, if they can find someone willing, I'd say go for it.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

The 21st pick isn't usually a coveted spot to trade to. If we don't see anyone that good remaining, will the GM of some other team see someone they want to give up two picks for? It seems unlikely. But, if they can find someone willing, I'd say go for it.
                  Well that's the question. Finding a willing partner. I would be a team that is looking at a specific need and is already a contender. So a team drafting lets say at #27
                  could fit that bill (just a pon but the Bills could fit) they may need a RB and if Gibbs is still there............

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

If Sarell becomes a quality swing tackle (and I have hope there), Steve Avila in the second as a backup OG/C completes this line and gives us our best OL in many years. Yes, we could actually be proud to finally have a top OL.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Well that's the question. Finding a willing partner. I would be a team that is looking at a specific need and is already a contender. So a team drafting lets say at #27
                      could fit that bill (just a pon but the Bills could fit) they may need a RB and if Gibbs is still there............
                      Actually, I thought if the Bengals wanted a TE with Hurst leaving - would they want Kincaid or Mayer
                      Bengals also might want a guy like Gibbs

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Well, he made 1, one handed catch anyways. Are there more I haven't seen?
                        If you like those maybe we should sign OBJ!

Let me make some corrections....good and bad.

Washington is 6'7"....not 6'6"...that's good.
                        Ran a 4.64, still good for his size.

Verticle was a measley 31" but again, he is 6'7".
                        He does have 11" hands which just might be both of mine lol. Good for not fumbling.

He can catch but don't play to his speed and wasnt that productive. Still, I have as my #3 TE behind Kincaid and Mayer. He will be popular with running teams like Baltimore and Tennessee....maybe the Raiders but can't see him going #7.
                        Measly 31”? You have some high standards. I love big handed receivers and 11” might be near the biggest in the league.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

Actually, I thought if the Bengals wanted a TE with Hurst leaving - would they want Kincaid or Mayer
                          Bengals also might want a guy like Gibbs
                          That's the right idea. I think the Bills may be desperate for a RB to take some heat off of Allen. But they also need improvement on the
                          O line. So Bengals also fit the bill.

Comment

Working...
                          X